6. The Last Time

Mu Yungui carried Yu Yan back to his bedchamber and carefully placed him on the bed.

The youth was half asleep and half awake. Just as he touched the bed, he stretched out his body and let out a comfortable groan.

It's been almost two months since they departed and returned.

His sleeping conditions during the envoy mission weren't as bad as sleeping in the open, but the time spent in the carriage couldn't be compared to staying in the palace.

The bed wasn't soft enough and the food wasn't good enough.

Yu Yan turned over, buried his face into the soft pillow, and inhaled deeply.

...... Home was still the best.

"Master, wake up." Mu Yungui called out warmly. "Bathe first, then drink a bowl of sobering soup before going to sleep. Otherwise, you'll wake up with a headache tomorrow."

"Don't want....." Yu Yan whispered. "So sleepy."

The voice was slurred and exceedingly soft, sounding incredibly coquettish[1].

Mu Yungui was helpless.

When people are drunk, their temperament becomes very different from their usual. Yu Yan was no exception. Since Mu Yungui came to work under Yu Yan, he had never seen this person's drunken appearance. It was unexpectedly... cute.

He's going to die because of him. Whatever the little master does, he always finds it cute.

Mu Yungui pondered for a moment. He turned to the palace maid and ordered, "Go get some hot water. I'll help His Highness bathe tonight. Also, tell the imperial kitchen to brew a bowl of sobering soup, and to add some honey."

"Understood."

Mu Yungui was Yu Yan's shadow guard. The servants in Yu Yan's palace all respected him, and naturally accepted his orders.

Several palace maids left to carry the order. Mu Yungui bent down, holding onto Yu Yan as he took off his shoes and outer robe.

Without making a fuss, Yu Yan obediently allowed the ministrations as he closed his eyes.

But just when Mu Yungui untied his robe, Yu Yan suddenly opened his eyes and quietly said, "Yungui..."

"You're so handsome."

"I like you the most."

Mu Yungui's fingers trembled, directly tearing a hole in Yu Yan's robe.

"......"

Oh no. This seemed to be Master's favorite outfit.

The drunk Yu Yan naturally didn't know what was going on. He leaned against the head of the bed. His eyes were particularly bright under the dim light from the hall, though a little dazed.

He tilted his head and smiled. "It's nice to have you by my side."

Mu Yungui, "..."

He took a deep breath, and forcefully replied, "It's this subordinate's honor to be next to Master."

Mu Yungui naturally did not take Yu Yan's words completely to heart.

Being totally wasted with no sense of reason, Yu Yan might not even know what he was talking about.

Moreover, the words of liking coming from this person's mouth must not have a deeper meaning.

At least... it wasn't the same as his liking of him.

Mu Yungui liked Yu Yan very much.

From very very early on, he has always liked this person.

How could he not like him? During the darkest time of his life, it was this young man who had brought color into his gray and hopeless life.