Chapter 4

Eric walks me back through the bar. His hand is resting on my side once more as he guides me along the outskirts of the central floor. It turns out that this is a dance club after all and everyone in the center floor is dancing. I admire the skill of some, others I have to avert my eyes because the lewd movement is making my Abnegation-raised self a bit uncomfortable.
He leads me back to the table with my friends.  "Maybe I'll see you around," he grins. 
I nod smiling. 
He told me they'll look into the matter with Peter.  Since the others are gone, it's a moot point.  I can't believe how much has changed in the last twenty minutes or so. 
I sit down and join Christina, setting my mostly full beer on the table.  "There you are," she shouts hugging me.  I accept it and pat her back.  "So what happened? You look so happy."
"Um..." I laugh.  They told me I could say a little but only about the offer.  Nothing else, like that they don't think Uriah would be a good fit although I would never say anything that would really hurt him.  "It went great!"
"So, what did you talk about?" Marlene asks. 
"Well, they offered me a job," I admit. 
"Told you so," Zeke says to Uriah messing up his hair.  "You owe me a beer." 
Uriah laughs it off patting his hair back into place.  He excuses himself to go grab some more drinks for him and his brother.  I realize everyone has something but they all look different from what I was given. 
"So what's the position?" Will inquires intrigued. 
"Leader in training?" I say like a question wincing. 
"So they're not offering it to everybody?" he says kind of sadly. 
"No," I reply.  "They said they only offer it to top three ranks."
"Well, at least Peter doesn't have a shot," he responds looking on the bright side.  I recall the whole situation with Peter and I can't believe I didn't trust Eric enough during initiation to confide in him that I was being harassed.  I feel like the whole dynamic with him has changed in a matter of minutes.  I just didn't know him.  He's so different from what I'd thought. 
"So, where's Four?" Christina asks me raising her eyebrows suggestively. 
Now that I think about it, I haven't seen him since the ranks were announced.  "I don't know," I say surprised.  I look around for him but he's nowhere in sight.  I don't even know where to look other than his apartment. 
"How about we dance in the meantime until he arrives?" Christina asks. 
I look down at the bottles lining the table on our side.  "It's fine, we'll watch them till lover boy shows up," Shauna laughs.  I look at her in question.  "Oh, don't think I didn't notice he has eyes for you."
That thought makes me smile.  Christina grabs my hand and pulls me to the dance floor of the Pit.  I observe the crowd as we walk through.  It doesn't look too hard.  It's almost like everyone is doing their own thing and making it up as they go along.  We stop at a space with enough room for the two of us.  She starts swaying to the music.  I attempt to follow her lead.  She shows me a few moves and in no time we're dancing together, laughing, and having a great time.  We dance and dance and dance. 
We head back to the table on a slow song.  I've never had so much fun before.  This is by far the best day of my life.  As we sit down, I see Christina drink most of the remnants of her bottle.  She pulls Will back to the dance floor with her for a slow dance.  I chuckle at their enthusiasm and how sweet they actually are together. 
I chat with the Dauntless-born and find out they're debating on the jobs that'll be offered tomorrow—the ones they'd be interested in taking.  Lynn keeps speaking on the guards and I think she just really admires her sister. I see Zeke and Uriah doing some sort of a drinking game with cards and sit back watching them have fun.  I take another sip of my drink and wince.  Not my favorite. 
I watch as the couples dance in the Pit and get a little envious, wondering where Four is.  I don't know if he'd even be willing to dance with me but I think it'd be nice to spend some time with him in public. 
The beat picks up after a few songs bringing Christina and Will back up to the table.  She finishes her drink and Will downs his as well.  He tosses their empty bottles in the trash and she pulls us both back out to dance.  I'm wondering what her stamina was like before Dauntless.  I laugh as we dance together.  This is so much fun.  We stay for several more sets.  When we're panting from exhaustion, we head back.  I reach for my bottle and take a small drink to cool me off. 
I look up to see Tobias standing behind Shauna.  I wave to him happily.  He finally came. 
"Four," I grin.  "I'm so glad you made it."
"Can I talk to you for a moment?" he asks walking toward me. 
"Sure," I agree. 
He leads me across the Pit, him in front and me behind.  I'm kind of sad that he doesn't take my hand in public but I am excited to see him. We walk around the dance floor and head up a few flights of stairs.  I've never been to this area of the Pit before. I stop for a moment and glance around. There are several shops over here.  I even see a few various hair salons and makeup parlors.  I rush to catch up since I've kind of lagged behind. He takes me to an area with a balcony that leads outside.  It's nice and cool out here.  I sigh, relaxing in the gentle breeze.  I hadn't realized how warm I was getting inside. I lean forward with my forearms against the railing holding my beer in hand and stare up at the stars.  What a perfect night. 
I look back to Tobias.  He has an unreadable expression on his face.  "What did you want to talk about?" I ask softly. 
"What were you doing with leadership, Tris?" he asks me flatly. 
"How did you..." I start but I'm interrupted. 
"I saw you leave with Eric," he snaps. 
I gape at him.  That was more than an hour ago.  He waited this long speak to me?  He's been ignoring me ever since?  "They wanted to talk with me," I admit. 
"So, what did they want?" he presses.  He's distanced from me, not using a curious tone, more along the lines of accusatory. 
"They offered me a job," I explain. 
"Let me guess—leadership, right?" he mocks.  
"Yes," I nod.  My voice sounds small, like a child caught by their parents for breaking a rule. 
"Are you stupid, Tris?" he says cruelly. 
I turn around fully to face him now, standing straight and squaring my shoulders.  "No, I'm not stupid, Four," I respond spitting his nickname out like a curse.  What is his problem all of the sudden?
"You're seriously considering this?" he accuses throwing his hand in the air and gesturing towards me. 
I fold my arms protectively over my chest still holding onto the bottle.  "I'm thinking about it.  I never gave them an answer," I tell him attempting to control the tone in my voice.  This feels more like the instructor, Four, than the Tobias I've come to know as of late.  I don't think I like this critical side of him as much as I thought I did. 
He scoffs at my response.  He comes and stands next to me at the railing leaning back on his elbows against the rail.  I turn to face him still with my defensive posture. 
"So what's the plan when they find out about your Divergence?" he whispers tauntingly. 
I freeze.  I hadn't even thought about that.  "Never crossed your mind, huh?" he continues on.  "Perhaps, that should've been your first thought.  If you go along with this, you'll be like David in the lions' den."  Four rises to standing, towering over me.  I have to practically lean back to look up at him, even in the heels.  I feel so small, so insignificant.  "They'll kill you, Tris."
He backs away from me and looks me over as if he doesn't even know me. He turns to leave and I can't believe he just spoke to me like that.  A thought occurs to me, though.  "It's Daniel," I laugh bitterly.  "Daniel was thrown in the lions' den."
I shake my head in disbelief and lean forward against the railing once more, my original position upon coming out here.  I can't believe just a few short hours ago I was in his apartment.  He let me examine his tattoos.  He put my hands on his bare chest and told me I didn't need to be afraid of him.  He was kissing me.  We talked and lounged around his apartment.  I even fell asleep beside him.  Everything was so different then, so clear.  Now I feel like shattered glass, broken, lost.  I feel unsure of myself—confused.  I'm questioning my thoughts about earlier, my choices for my life.
"Tris?" I hear a gentle voice call out to me. 
I look over my shoulder to see Eric standing at the entranceway with a glass in hand.  I would smile but my heart just isn't in it to fake pleasantries right now.  "Hi," I say with my voice wavering. 
He joins my side leaving a little space, a comfortable distance between us.  He leans up against the railing just like I am, coming down to my level.  "It's a lot to think about, isn't it?" he questions. 
"You've got that right," I reply.  I start to lift my bottle to take a drink and remember what's inside and change my mind. 
"Not for you, huh?" Eric laughs gently through his nose.  He takes the beer bottle from my hand and replaces it with his clear glass containing some sort of dark beverage with ice. "I told them you wouldn't like beer but they insisted," he shrugs getting situated back to the same position as before.  "Said you needed to grow up."  He lifts my bottle to his lips and drinks some. 
I take a sip from the beverage he gave me.  It's bubbly, sweet, and somewhat spiced. "This is good.  What is it?" I ask surprised.  I take another sip and it's definitely making me feel better. 
"One of Erudite's specialties," he says.  I pause mid pour and hesitate.  "It's just a fizzy drink.  There's no serum or anything in there, I promise.  They usually use them here to mix drinks."
"Oh," I nod, comforted that it's safe.  I take another sip of it and hold it as I stare out at the city.  I see a train coming into view in the distance.  I watch the light cross through my line of sight in silence, just staring. 
Eric stands beside me quietly for a while.  He eventually speaks up, "So, we looked over the surveillance from two of the times you mentioned—the dorm before your last fight and the Chasm.  We have footage of everything.  I wish you would've said something sooner but it's fine."
"So what are you going to do about Peter?" I ask. 
"Well, it's all up to you," he says.  I meet his eyes and wait for him to elaborate.  "If we were aware before the final ranks were put out, we'd just bump up one of the lower initiates.  Since it's after and they've already been dumped off at Factionless, it's a little tough to do now."
"Wait, you would've kicked Peter out?" I question with my voice raising in intonation. 
Eric meets my eyes again.  "In a heartbeat," he tells me seriously. 
My eyes widen in shock. 
"We don't mess around with that kind of crap here," he says.  "Anyway, now we'd only have nine if we kick him out.  The rest of leadership and I agree that we're leaving the choice up to you.  We can either kick him out... or if you can be so forgiving, he can stay on three conditions.  We'll tell him we're aware of what he's done and he's never to come near you again like that.  He will only have two choices for jobs.  And the last condition is that he will be monitored until we deem him no longer a threat to anyone in Dauntless."
"Wow," I whisper.  They really don't mess around.  "So if I say he can stay, what would his choices be?"
Eric laughs and I'm in awe of the smile on his face.  He attempts to compose himself.  "He will either be a janitor or a night guard on the furthest post in the city, which means he'll never see you or anyone again, really.  As Lydia put it, he would be in exile," he laughs again. 
I can't help but smile, too.  "I can't imagine Peter cleaning toilets," I respond.  "He'd definitely pick the guard position. So what would happen if he caused trouble again?"
All humor drains from his face.  He meets my eyes with his.  "Then, I would execute him," he says very seriously.  "I would tell him so he's fully aware.  He will also be told, if you do choose to allow him to stay, that he has you to thank for us not kicking him out of Dauntless."
I take a deep breath in and release it slowly.  "Yeah," I nod.  "That sounds fitting."  A beat passes and a thought occurs to me.  "So what happens if I don't choose leadership?" I wait a moment before turning to look Eric in the eye once more. 
He's staring at me confused.  "This thing with Peter is not conditional.  If you don't choose leadership, we're still doing the same thing," he explains. 
"Oh," I say in surprise. 
"We're increasing security around the dorms tonight.  There will be two guards outside the dorm at all times.  We also have upgraded the cameras in the dorm and there are two now.  Someone will be monitoring the dorm throughout the night. There will be no covering up the cameras again like with Edward or they will be caught," he elaborates.  "This is not conditional as well.  We actually upgraded the cameras during the second stage."
My eyebrows raise in surprise.  They really have been trying to look out for us, take care of us.  My heart clenches at that. 
"If you don't want to go back to the dorm tonight, well, if you choose leadership, we have an apartment available that you will be assigned.  I would say you could stay at my place since I have an extra room, but I don't know how comfortable you'd be there.  I'm sure Four wouldn't be too happy about that," he mumbles the last part scratching his neck.  "You could stay with Four, though, if you want.  But we'll do what we can to protect you tonight."
I'm even more touched at what he's saying. 
"So, do you have any other questions for me?" Eric asks. 
For some odd reason, what Four said to me previously about the issues with Erudite and Abnegation pops into my head.  With all the articles in the paper and seeing their leader here in the compound, I can't help myself from asking.  "Jeanine Matthews has been here a lot lately.  Why?" I inquire. 
Eric actually seems at a loss for words.  He looks out at the city, taking a deep breath.  He has another drink from my beer before responding to me.  "That's confidential.  If you choose leadership, you will be told," he explains.  I nod. 
"My friend was saying that Erudite has an obsession.  They can't stop talking about the Divergent," I say. 
His eyes snap to mine.  He sighs shakily.  "You want to talk about some tough topics," he admits.  "Do you know my relationship to Jeanine?" 
I shake my head, no.  "She's my aunt," he states quietly.  I feel my blood drain from my face.  "Do you still want me to continue?" I take a deep breath and nod in affirmation.  With what Four was saying earlier tonight though, I need to know.  "My parents died in a car accident when I was ten.  My mom was just named leader but somehow she ended up dead the same day.  My grandmother was hospitalized as well.  She was who my mother named to take us, my sister and I, in the event of their death.  Jeanine got us.  She raised us since then, if you can even call it that."
I'm gaping at what he's just told me but he continues.  "I believe..." he whispers.  "...that Jeanine is responsible for my parents' deaths and her mother's hospitalization.  She tries to use my little sister as a pawn for me to do what she wants.  She's threatened to kill her more times than I can count."
I blink in shock.  "I can't believe I just told you that.  I've never repeated that.  Leadership doesn't even know," he mutters.  He takes another drink from the beer.  "Perhaps I've had too much.  This is my third."
"How can you stand it?" I ask motioning to the beer. 
He shrugs in response.  "It's an acquired taste.  The more you drink it over time, the less it bothers you."
"You are a Nose," I accuse nudging him. He chuckles and looks to me.  "I won't tell anyone what you said," I confide. 
"I know," Eric responds.  "She has some sort of vendetta against Abnegation.  And the Divergent.  And Factionless.  She's obsessed, really."
"Yeah, it's pretty obvious by the slanted articles in the newspaper," I agree. 
"See, you can see these things.  Not everyone is so observant," he says. 
"What about the Divergent?" I ask. 
He sighs again.  "You really want to know about this?" he questions. 
I nod.  If I'm to join leadership, I have to know beforehand to make an informed decision. 
"I only know what Jeanine has told me, so you see I have somewhat of a skewed perspective.  I believe my aunt murdered her twin so you can see the insanity I have to deal with.  But just like Peter with Edward, I have no physical proof.  I just have suspicions.  She tells me the Divergent are dangerous.  She says they must be eliminated.  They can't be controlled.  She wants them all dead," he admits.  He can't meet my eyes though as he explains this. 
"What do you think?" I ask.  "And the rest of leadership?"
"I don't know what to believe.  I know the signs to look for but I've never found one.  I'm starting to think she's imagining this," he admits.  "About leadership, I actually don't know.  I've heard people in the compound talk about them like they're some sort of urban myth or legend.  Like vampires or werewolves or something."
"Would you kill one?" I ask almost trembling.  I take a shaky drink from the glass in my hands. 
"I don't even know if they're real," he tells me again. 
"What if I were to tell you that they exist?" I say hypothetically. 
He laughs.  "What proof would you have?  You're just messing with me, right?"
"Eric," I call out his name to get his attention.  I know he's a little drunk, but right now, I don't know why but I trust him more than I do Four.  He meets his eyes with mine.  I don't hide how I'm shaking now.  "I'm Divergent," I whisper. 
Any humor he had in his expression drops.  "You're just kidding with me, right?" he says again seriously. 
"No, I'm not," I admit. 
"How... how is that possible?" he asks me. 
"I don't know.  I didn't know anything about it until my aptitude test," I divulge. 
"You didn't even know about it?  I don't understand.  I thought they were supposed to be different—evil," he says dumbfounded. 
"Do you think that of me?" I ask somewhat hurt. 
"No," he whispers staring at me.  "I won't tell anyone either."
I smile and actually lean forward to hug him.  I'm so incredibly relieved.  He slowly reaches his arms around me.  I feel comforted.