Chapter 50 (Eric's POV)

I figure that the guards are all aware of Tris's treatment so the naps in front of the faction shouldn't be a problem. As we pull up to the gate, the guards see it's me and open the fence, waving me in. They usually would make someone wait and inspect the vehicle on this side but the soldiers treat Dauntless leadership differently than all others. I step out with the keys in hand.
"That was a long trip," the soldier says. His name tag says Hodges. He's the one here this morning who mentioned I'm lucky to have snatched up Tris before anyone else had—or something like that. It had her laughing and blushing this morning.
"Yeah, she's worn out," I motion to her.
He whistles in surprise. "No kidding. How's she doing?" He signals for his team to do their routine check. I open the trunk for them.
"She's catching on quickly. She'll be a leader in no time—probably faster than me," I say.
"No... I meant about her physically," he mentions gently.
"She's fine. Just tired," I shrug.
He nods and looks to her relieved. "I was young when Lydia was training. I'm glad she's doing well. I wish other factions would test them like we do in Dauntless," he comments.
"They test kids regularly here?" I ask.
He nods.
"Maybe I should bring that up in my meeting tonight," I say.
"Couldn't hurt," he shrugs grinning. "So, she's that advanced, huh?"
"Yeah, she's pretty amazing," I comment.
He smiles and shakes my hand. "You're all set here," he tells me.
"It's Mike, right?" I confirm.
"Yes, sir," he responds surprised.
"It was nice talking with you," I tell him. I slap him on the back and climb into the driver's seat.
I start up the truck and salute the guards as I pull out. I look to Tris in my rearview mirror. She's still sound asleep across the cushions of my backseat. I drive down the long gravel path toward the city. I eventually hit the area where Factionless meets the road. The street is smoother here—paved somewhat—but there are more potholes to avoid. I swerve carefully as not to shake Tris awake. I take my time to help the ride go more smoothly and comfortably for her sake. I take the shortest, most direct route through Factionless, then turning and going straight to our parking garage. I pull in and actually have to wait in line for the patrols returning from their shift change.
A horn blasts. I see a person waving on an armored truck. They must've not been watching where they're going. I wave them to walk in front of me. He nods and runs off to a truck down the aisle. I pull forward and glance in my mirror to see Tris sitting up.
"You're awake, sunshine," I smirk.
"Yeah," she says yawning.
I pull into my reserved spot and put my truck in park. I turn the ignition off and pocket the keys. I open my door, close it, and open Tris's. She's still rubbing her eyes and stretching.
"Do you need me to carry you, sweetheart?" I tease.
"No," she laughs. "Do I look that tired?" She scoots over but reaches for my hand. I assist her out of the truck, shutting the door. I open the trunk and reach for some bags. Tris takes the paper one with her plants and seeds, hugging it to her chest. She grabs the strawberries with her other hand. I close the trunk, walking to the guard booth but keeping Tris close to my side through the high traffic currently in our garage. I pass my keys to Reese—the gossip—and walk off.
I escort her down the hall—one hand holding a bag, the other slung over my shoulder, and my opposite hand on Tris's hip. I move my fingers gently along her side to realize that she is quite thin. I can feel her hip bone protruding. I've got to get her to eat a little more. If she's as thin as she is now, I wonder how thin she was before.
We walk down the corridor leading to the Pit. As soon as we step in, I hear constant chatter about the census. Everyone is talking about it. Some haven't received it yet. Others are complaining about how Jax is only giving them twenty-four hours to turn their forms back in or they'll be removed from the schedule until it's completed. I smirk at that. That's one way to get it done.
We arrive at our elevator and I break from Tris to punch the call button.  The doors open immediately and we ride up to our floor.  We walk straight down to her door and I unlock it for her since her hands are full.  I open the door and watch her as she walks in.  She really is beautiful and she is getting better.  I shut the door as I observe her movements.  I see her take the strawberries to the counter by the sink.  She grabs a colander and a bowl, rinsing the strawberries off and placing them in the bowl.  I see her eat one and I smile.  I shouldn't worry.  She's getting healthier day by day. 
I set the bags on the counter and unpack them.  Tris takes the packages of grapes and washes them for me at the sink as well.  I pull out the wine glasses, the corkscrew, and a bottle opener.  I set them together and get the beers I bought last time from the fridge. I see two platters set out on the counter and Tris is arranging the cheeses on one.  I grin at how amazing she is as I wash my hands.  I decide to call Max and put him on speakerphone as I arrange the meat tray.  It rings twice before he answers.