Chapter 23 (Eric's POV)

I'm watching Tris enjoy her breakfast. It's clearly her first time having French toast.  She keeps smiling up at me and telling me how much she likes it.  I'm glad she's so pleased with her food. 
Max gave me a look when we arrived at the table.  I'm not sure if it's him wanting to know the details of last night or if it's that something new has come up.  It can wait until I get her started this morning. 
I keep noticing Four staring at her, though.  He's trying to act like he's not.  Every time she looks up, his gaze immediately turns away. 
"I think I'm done," Tris announces rubbing her abdomen.  I notice her plate is almost empty again.
"Okay, you ready to go?" I inquire. 
"Sure," she smiles. 
We get up with our trays and set them on the return.  I place my hand at her waist to escort her. 
"Good luck!" Tris waves to all of her friends.
"You, too!" Christina shouts.  I notice Will is gone.  He's working in the offices with us, though.  Maybe we'll see him up there.  Four is attempting to ignore us.  That's probably for the best. 
We stride through the Pit and she gets lots of stares.  She's not looking bothered by it whatsoever and I'm grateful.  We get to the stairwell and I take her hand and her waist.  She looks to me and smiles.  I have her walk on the inside. 
"Is it terrible to say that I'm enjoying holding your hand in public?" she says softly when nobody is around. 
I grin at her when she looks to me but her steps falter.  "I've got you," I tell her comfortingly as we stop.  I have a firm grasp on her and I'm glad I have two points of contact for additional support.  She grips my hand tighter. 
"What is wrong with me?" she questions dejectedly.  "I'm tripping on stairs and slipping easily on wet floors.  I've always been so sure footed."
"It's possible you may be growing.  I was like that as a kid.  Most people have had a few awkward stages," I explain. 
"You think so?" she questions hopeful. 
"Maybe.  We can see Dana either before or after lunch," I tell her. 
"Okay," she sighs. 
"You ready?" I ask after a few people pass us. 
She nods but grips me more tightly. 
We walk again at a more subdued pace.  She takes her time and I don't mind.  We make it to the top and head for the elevator.  She presses the call button and we enter.  I wait for her to select the floor.  "What's on the top floor?" she asks. 
"You want to see?" I question her. 
"We can?" she asks surprised. 
"Well, it is my day to show you around," I say. 
"I thought you said our morning was booked?" she questions. 
"I think we can spare five minutes," I tell her pressing the button. 
The doors open and she gasps at the glass hall.  We step out of the doors a few steps. It's shaped like a long pentagon prism.  The ceiling comes to a point and the glass panels are on almost all sides except behind us where the wall with the elevator is located.  There are black curtains around the sides and chandeliers hanging from the ceiling. 
"This is beautiful.  What's this room for?" she asks in awe. 
"It's for special events or when we have a large quantity of guests from other factions, we use this room for entertaining," I explain. 
"Have you ever been present for one of those?" she inquires. 
"Not yet.  There're chairs under that stage.  There's a storage room there with tables and restrooms here," I say motioning to the far side and then behind us along the wall. I give her a moment to take it in.
"We should probably get going," I suggest after some time passes.
"Alright," she smiles. 
I press the call button again.  I've got to admit that I'm a little nervous about her using the stairs.  I know there was an accident with Lydia but everyone is pretty quiet about it.  I have no idea what happened but if it has Max jumpy—who's generally quite laid back—then I'm sure it was very serious. 
We descend in the elevator down one floor and the door opens to the bustling movement of the Dauntless offices in the morning.  I generally exercise this time of day to avoid all of this and come in later when it's a little more settled. 
"Oh, wow," Tris says quietly. 
"Come on," I tug her gently by the waist and we step out.  I decide since everyone ought to be here by now, I'll make the announcement.  We step into the staff room.  Several aides notice and stand, many others quickly moving toward their desks.
"Attention," I shout.  "Welcome your newest leader."
There is applause, some pounding, and a few people whistle.  I can see Will standing with Wendy.  He's clapping and he waves to Tris.  She waves back smiling. 
"Thank you for making me feel so welcome," Tris says when they calm and sit down.  They pound on their desks in reply.  Will looks to Wendy and follows her lead smiling. 
"That's our cue," I tell her quietly.  "Nod and turn to leave."
She does so and we exit down the hallway.  I lead her to my office and open the door for her to enter.  I follow behind. I see they've set her computer on my coffee table.  "Have a seat over there," I motion to my corner sofa.  "Do you know how to use a computer?"
"Yeah, of course.  We had to use them in school," she says.  I remember that Four didn't really know how to during leadership training but I keep that to myself. 
"Open it up.  You should see a file marked leadership trainee introduction packet.  That's a digital copy of the paperwork I gave you on Saturday.  It'll explain what you can expect in the training course. Also, all of leadership will do some one on one training with you—mostly me, though. Read that first if you haven't already.  Let me know if you have any trouble or questions.  I'm going to print out your training for today," I tell her turning my computer on. 
"Okay," she nods. 
I go through the leadership training course and select the detailed introduction paperwork, printing it out.  I choose several other basics that might be helpful for today and click on interrogation also.  I choose the basic questioning section rather than some of the others like how to deal with hostile witnesses.  I don't want her thinking that's how this situation should be handled. I highly doubt it'll come to that and we'll be handling the questions.  I choose a few more on behavior in front of the faction and handling negative reactions from the faction.  I print everything out and start to staple the packets placing them in order of completion.  I look up to see Tris watching me. 
"How's it going?" I ask. 
"I'm done," she says. 
"Did you read it before?" I inquire.  That's a lot to read but maybe there was a time this weekend that she had to look it over. 
"No, I skimmed it a bit on Saturday but this is the first time I've read it," she explains. 
"And you finished it that fast?" I question dumbfounded.  She nods.  "And understood and retained everything?"  She nods again. 
"Yeah, I'm kind of a speed reader.  My brother is way faster though," she tells me. 
"Maybe I ought to print more training out then?" I suggest surprised. 
"Whatever you think," she shrugs. 
"Here, come take these.  Here's a pen.  Do them in the order I have them in.  You'll read each packet and answer the questions in the back.  It's not about right or wrong, you just have to understand what to do if your answers are incorrect.  Ask me if you have any questions," I call her over and pass her the work. 
She takes them and sits back down on my sofa. I get to work printing off more packs in the order listed in the standard training.  I quadruple my workload from when I trained hoping that it's enough to keep her busy for the duration of my meeting with Max.  I staple them as they print.  As I'm doing this thoughtless repetitive task, I realize that if she can complete this part of the training quicker than me, she will become a leader faster than I did.  That thought brings a proud smile to my face.  But then I think about her physical ability.  We'll work hard but I won't push her too much.  We should have more time to devote to physical training if she can complete the written part so well.  As long as she's feeling physically able, we can get it done.  When I staple the last packet, I call her over. 
"Sit," I say placing her at my desk.  "The ones I gave you over there will be most helpful for today.  This pile here is in the standard order of completion.  I've printed everything that has a check next to it.  If you happen to finish everything, you can go ahead and print the next ones in order.  Make sure you mark that it's printed," I explain. 
"Okay.  So here it says printed, completed, graded.  Is that to make sure we've discussed all my work?" she asks. 
"Yeah," I say.  "You think you can handle it?" I inquire. 
"Of course," she replies. 
There's a knock on my door.  "Come in," I call out. 
Will enters.  He's carrying several different things in his hands.  "Hi," he smiles.  "Wendy sent me over with everything she's prepared." He stands just inside the door.
"Okay.  Bring them in," I tell him motioning to my desk. 
He sets them down.  I reach for the plastic wrapped fabric first.  "Come here," I call Tris as I open the package.  I unzip it and walk around to slide it on her arms.  She kind of laughs in surprise.  "How does it fit?" I ask. 
"It's a little big, but not bad," she says after she zips it up.
"It suits you," I tell her as she smiles at me.  She does look like one of us now. 
I reach out for the wooden box when I see another bag.  "What's that one?" I ask Will. 
"Phones but there's three of them," he tells me confused.  "I got to set them up."
"Good.  I wasn't expecting them to be done until later," I tell him.  He smiles. 
"I'm going to get this situated on her and go to a meeting.  Do you want to work on adding phone numbers and whatnot with her when I leave?" I ask. 
"Sure.  One's for Tris.  Who are the other two for?" he asks. 
"You and Christina," I say grabbing out the holster and adjusting it to fit her small frame. 
"Sir?" he questions baffled. 
"The two of you will assist her as her friends.  If you want to make plans, you can come get her and walk her around.  This is a gift leadership is giving you for being a good friend to her," I explain.  "Here, I think this should fit," I slip it over her shoulders. 
"Sir, I'm a little confused.  Leadership is giving us both top of the line phones for being her friends?" he questions. 
"Don't repeat this to Uriah.  We'll make an announcement soon enough," I say.  He nods.  "She is being treated for a medical condition right now.  She's a bit unstable on her feet and she's been more tired than usual due to the treatment.  Just help her around and make sure she doesn't get hurt. Make sure especially that she's not alone around the compound.  In the offices are fine," I say. 
"Yes, sir," he nods surprised. 
"Wendy picked you out some nice firearms," I say.  I load her guns and holster each of them for her.  "They're a good design, lightweight, and compact."  Tris grins.  "Alright.  Will, help her with her phone.  After it's up and running, you can get back to your training.  I'll be in Max's office next door," I say.  Tris smiles at me and I have to stop myself from kissing her goodbye. "I'll see you soon."
"Okay. Good luck," she wishes me.
I nod in return and leave her in my office. I step into the hallway shutting the door. I walk to Max's office and knock on the door before opening it. He's at his desk. "Oh, good. You're here. So she's started?" he asks getting up carrying his computer over to his seated area identical to mine.
"Yeah, she tells me she's a speed reader. She finished reading that packet in probably five minutes," I say.
He whistles in awe. "Just spend most of the time with physical strength training and fighting skills. That'll probably take her far longer than you, I would think. But who knows. Each new recruit impresses me more than the last," he says. I nod in understanding.
He sits down beside me and plays the recordings. We watch clip after clip of Four flirting with Tris during initiation. He's warning her to stay away from me, acting like I'm dangerous—along with leadership. He continually looks to the camera with his eyes while talking with her in a hushed voice. He begins to touch her more as the clips progress. We witness how he's slowly moving in on her, making her fear leadership. Max pauses the recording after one of her fear simulations.
"Do you know what they're talking about?" he asks me.
"I believe he's hounding her about Divergence," I state calmly.
He scoffs, "That's just an urban myth, like ghosts or something."
His posture is blowing this off but this would be the best time to test the waters. "What if they were real?" I ask.
"From what people say, that would be kind of eerie," he responds.
"What do you know about them?" I ask.
"I've heard they can manipulate things with their minds," he tells me with disbelief.
"I don't think it's like ESP.  What if they can in simulations though?" I ask him.
"That's supposed to be impossible in simulations... but then it is in the mind, like a dream. Someone would probably have to know it's not real to even consider that," he kind of concludes. For an older Dauntless man, he is quite astute.
"Do you think if someone like that exists, they should be executed... out of fear of what they can do?" I ask calmly.
"For dreaming? No. That'd be ridiculous," he states.
"Can I ask you a question relating to this that's not really involved in what's going on here?" I inquire motioning to the screen with Four and Tris. I try to remain calm but I am quite nervous about this.
"About Divergence?" he asks with brows furrowed.
"About what Jeanine has told me about Divergence," I clarify.
"Well, she is pretty smart," he says.
"Do you think she's moral?" I ask.
"Moral? Like how?" he asks.
"Jeanine has told me how to find Divergents. She has insisted that when I find one to either bring them to her for testing or to execute them," I explain.
"Execute?" he says concerned. I nod.
"Why would she want them executed? Are they dangerous?" he asks.
"She believes they threaten the faction system but not really to harm people. From what I've discovered, they think differently outside of simulations. They take on attributes from other factions as well as their primary faction of choice," I elaborate.
"That doesn't sound like they should be executed in my opinion. What about turning them over to her?" he asks.
"I believe that if she's willing to kill them, her study of them is probably like torture," I state meeting his eyes.
"You're serious," he realizes.
I nod.
"What is she really like then?" he questions soberly.
"Evil," I state. "She's threatened to kill my sister more times that I can count so I'll do whatever she says."
His jaw tightens and he turns his face away from me. He shakes his head in disbelief. "Why haven't you said anything before?" he asks me concerned.
"I didn't know if everyone would believe me," I tell him.
"We'll meet with leadership another time—soon though," he tells me.
"Okay," I nod.
We get back to the footage. We view the attack on her and how he saved her. I've seen this and told the others about it. I think it's the first he's viewed it though. It shifts to them together in a hallway after Al's funeral. He backs her up against the wall, boxes her in, and they talk. He kisses her forehead and I sigh harshly. He has been moving on to her quite a bit during initiation. She's not like his sister or anything. He shouldn't be doing that. We continue to view Four's interactions more then, as they go through his Fear Landscape together. It's difficult for me to watch as they huddle together. After it's over, he grabs her by the arm and he hugs her tightly. She looks confused.
He takes her by the hand leading her down the long stairwell in the Pit to the Chasm. It does look pretty romantic down there actually. They talk about how he's been paying attention to her and he admits that he likes her. He gets close to her and kisses her temple, then her cheek. She looks surprised and at a loss for words. Then he reaches in and pecks her lips softly. Max is the one to sigh at this. He grabs her face and kisses her fully, intentionally. The scene changes when they part. The next is of Lauren's abduction fear she told me about. He has it shut down and he gets in her face and screams at her. She slaps him across the cheek and runs off.
"That was justified," Max says pursing his lips. "He really doesn't know how to treat a lady, does he?"
"Nope," I agree.
The next is in my office. He barged in and has her fake cry. He lies to me and I release them. They talk by the train tracks and she kisses him, then him her.
"He's got issues with honesty doesn't he," Max comments. "Should I get truth serum for this?"
"I don't think it's necessary. You can if you want though. He did what he did because he thought he was protecting her. When he sees we know everything, I think he'll come clean," I say.
The next recording is of them going off on the train together. There's isn't much to view since we don't have cameras on the train. I decide this is a good time to mention what happened to Max. "Tris told me he pulled her down on his lap straddling him here," I say. "She said he was kissing her and she was aroused."
"Did they have sex?" he asks.
"No," I say. He nods in understanding.
"It looks like that's all from initiation. After the final, Chris said they went back to his apartment again. I told him that didn't matter," Max explains.
"So, what do you think? He was clearly getting involved and he knew it was against the rules. Tris said she didn't know but by his behavior and the hiding, kind of assumed," I say.
"She's not being held responsible for this. He was the member, her superior. He knew better. She didn't," Max replies.
I nod grateful. "What about me, though?" I ask.
"You waited until it was legal," Max says.
"No, I mean... is there any rule about me training Tris?" I question. "I can't recall."
"No, this has never happened with two leaders. Her position is set, for initiation it was not. We're all pretty excited though for you two. Lydia's already talking about all the blue-eyed blonde babies you two are going to have," Max laughs.
I look down in embarrassment chuckling. I know I'm blushing.
"For the next initiation, I think we should make the rules clear up front—for both Dauntless-born and transfers about involvement in relationships with trainers. I also think we should mention something about sexual harassment. So, if something like the situation with Peter happens, they know they can come to me," I say.
"I agree," Max nods.
We watch the rest of the interactions between the two of them.  The night of graduation, we can't hear what he says but we can see his mannerisms, how he's intimidating her, yelling at her. During the morning of the breakup, he quietly threatens to take her off to Factionless.
"Wait," Max says pausing the recording. He looks shocked. "So, Tris is Divergent and Evelyn Eaton is alive?"
"Yes.  I knew about Tris.  She's no threat.  I assume that's his mom?"  I say.  He nods.  "Tris said she's Factionless."
"I can't believe she got kicked out of Abnegation. They don't kick out members," he says shaking his head.
"Play it again.  Maybe we can hear more," I insist as he rewinds it.  It's kind of hard to hear everything since they're being so quiet.  It sounds like he doesn't view Tris as a threat whatsoever.  He's more concerned about Four's mother. 
We watch it again and hear that she's the leader, that she left them.  "I can't believe she just abandoned him.  No wonder he's so messed up," Max says. 
"Did you know her?" I ask. 
"I did," he nods. 
We continue to watch the footage together. Then read Chris's full report. Four has been using his passcode to get into the surveillance system and check cameras at the leadership residences as well as finding out where Tris is around the compound. 
"Alright, is that everything?" I ask.
"Yeah, I'm calling Jax. He asked to join us on this. I'm fine with that," Max tells me.
"Me, too. He's his boss. He needs to be made aware," I agree.
I step out of Max's office and see Will closing Lydia's door. "Will!" I call out. 
"Yes, sir?" he responds turning around.
"We're having a meeting. Let all of the leaders know we're ready. Max knows and I'll get Tris," I say.
"Yes, sir. What... what exactly should I do?" he asks.
I grin. "Knock on each door. When they call you in, tell them that Max and I are ready for our meeting in the conference room," I explain pointing to the conference room. "Lydia, Jude, and Ryan," I say motioning to each door so he's sure.
"Thank you, sir," he tells me appreciatively.
"Any time," I reply patting him on his back. He smiles at me and returns to Lydia's door first. I enter my office to Tris working on some paperwork. She looks up as I open the door.
"How's it going?" I ask.
"I finished the first stack you gave me. Now, I'm working on the second," she explains.
I pick up a couple crucial for today and look at her answers. The first thing I notice oddly is her penmanship. Her writing is quite lovely. I look closely at her answers and nod my head that she understands. I move on to the other crucial ones and they're good.
"Okay. We can discuss these later if you have any questions. Let's get to the meeting," I say.
"The one with Four?" she asks worriedly.
"We'll talk first, then bring him up," I elaborate.
"Okay," she nods getting up.
I lead her to the door and open it for her. We cross the hall and I get the conference room door for her as well.
"Thank you," she says softly.
"You're welcome," I reply. I motion for her to follow me to the projector. "We're going to set this up in case we need it. Max and I viewed everything but I don't know if we'll use it." I direct her on how to start it up and connect it. We take our seats and wait for everyone else to join us.
"Is it crazy how I'm still in disbelief that I'm actually going to be a leader?" she asks me.
I smile. "It may take some time for you to get used to it," I tell her understandingly. She nods.
Ryan is the first to enter. "Hey, good it's just us. I was wondering if your friend Christina is seeing anybody?" he asks Tris.
She laughs awkwardly. "Um yeah, she has a boyfriend," she tells him.
He snaps his fingers, "Shoot. Well maybe next year."
Tris gives him a sad look and pats his back when he sits beside her.
"Her boyfriend is Will. He just knocked on your door," I explain.
"Oh, he seems nice. Good for her," Ryan says.
Tris gives him a side hug. "You are a good guy, aren't you?" she tells him but we all know it's rhetorical.
Lydia and Jude come in together and greet us. A moment later Max joins us with his stack of papers and computer in hand. I rise and take his computer. Tris accompanies me and I have her hook it up before we take our seats.
"Is this everybody?" Lydia asks.
"Jax is coming. He said he was heading straight up," Max explains.
We wait a couple of minutes before there's a knock on the door. Wendy comes in with Will and a tray of beverages. The two of them set them down in front of each of us.  "Will Jax be joining you?" she inquires.
"He's on his way," I tell her. She leaves the beverage at a free seat. She places a pitcher and several glasses on the buffet table along the side wall by the window before the two excuse themselves. Jax arrives just as they're leaving and enters shutting the door.
"Took you long enough," Ryan teases.
Jax laughs but draws his attention to Tris.
"It's nice to meet you, ma'am. I'm Jax, head of security," he says respectfully to her coming over to shake her hand. She rises and meets him.
"It's nice to meet you, too," she responds smiling.
Jax takes his seat and Max and I get to business letting everyone know the details of what's going on. As we continue, Tris looks down at the table guiltily.
"Before we continue, I just want to make something very clear first. Tris had no knowledge of the legality of this. Four was well aware. It was in the annual contract he signed before the last two years of initiation as a trainer. He knew that engaging in this type of behavior would bring him before us. This should be no surprise to him. Next year, Max and I have decided that we will make an announcement before all initiates to inform them of this rule. She should not receive a punishment for a law she was unaware of when the other responsible party knew the consequences," I explain.
Everyone at the table knocks on it in acknowledgement. Tris looks up to me, touched by what I said and the others support of her.
We continue on and discuss the initiation relationship first in detail, then we move on to his reactions when she broke it off—the intimation, the cruelty. Max and I explain how he's been watching her constantly—using the control room to track her down, following her, stalking her, constantly showing up at her apartment and not taking no for an answer.
We discuss the confrontation on Sunday morning and the disrespect. I show the images of the bruising he caused.
"So what's the plan?" Jax asks disappointedly.
"Well, we just found out his mother abandoned him as a child. Leadership is all aware of his fear simulations. What Erudite has been publishing in the papers seems as if it may be true," Max starts.
"Did we actually give them that information?" I ask.
Leadership looks to each other and shakes their heads.
"So, we may have a security breach?" Jax questions.
"It would appear so," Max states.
"Would Egan have given Jeanine a copy?" I ask.
"There would be digital records of copies made from his files. I could have someone look into it," Jax tells us writing down a note to do so.
"Back to Four," Max says. "I think he's got some mental issues that he needs to resolve. We've asked a counselor from Amity to join us and meet with him. I think we're all in agreement that as first in his initiation, he is a valuable asset to our faction. We think the severity of the behaviors requires intervention but we don't believe he ought to be expelled from the faction as of yet. If there is no change in his behavior though, incarceration may be required until we have submission. I guess that'll be a road we're hoping he doesn't want to go down."
I realize how Max isn't much of a talker and this must really be a matter of great concern for him personally. He's always been so interested in Four joining leadership. I know from this incident alone, that will never be an option in the future.
"What are you thinking about his position at work?" Jax inquires.
Max looks to me and nods.
"We were thinking that since he has abused his authority in the control room," I begin. "That he'll have to be transferred to a different department. Something of an equivalent would be to work in your offices, Jax. Although, we do not want him handling any sensitive information—probably for quite some time. We're also planning on continuing to monitor him until he doesn't seem to be threatening and stalking Tris. The position of Transfer Initiate Trainer must be re-evaluated next year. I believe we ought to monitor all of his interactions if we even consider him as an option in the future. He was making the initiates fear us by presenting his opinions of leadership as truth. If he wants to engage in gossip such as this, he will not be pushing it upon our new recruits."
"Are we all in agreement?" Jude asks. We all pound the table. "Jax, bring him up."
We wait while Jax makes his call to security and Four is brought up to the conference room. I notice Tris take a sip of her untouched beverage. "What's this again?" she asks me.
"Iced tea. It's sweetened," I tell her. She smiles at me but it looks forced.
"It'll be alright," I assure her. She nods staring off.
"Let's slide around the table," I tell her.
"Why?" she asks but following. Ryan scoots down, too. I sit between them.
"We're kind of like his jury," I explain. "We have come to a decision and this is his sentencing. It's probably not a good idea to be sitting next to him. That kind of makes it appear as if it's a discussion—that he has a choice. We're not here to chat with him necessarily. We might ask a few questions but the purpose of this meeting is that we're making him aware of what we know, what we expect in the future from him, and demoting him."
"It's a demotion?" she asks worriedly.
I sigh. "It's actually a good position. It's equivalent to his current one, just in a different department," I explain. "We can't have him monitored when he can mess with the monitoring system at work. That'd just be too difficult."
She nods her head in understanding. "That's a relief actually. He won't be following me around," she says.
"We will also have security intercept him if he attempts to approach your apartment," I explain.
"I could sleep at night not worrying about him knocking on my door," she nods. I agree but I don't say it. I feel the same way.
All leadership is waiting like a group of judges sitting across from an empty table awaiting sentencing. Jax is on one end, Tris on the other beside me. It doesn't take long for security to bring him in.
"Come in," Jude responds to the knock on our door.
They enter—two guards in front, two in back. Four is between them and motioned to sit in the center chair across from us. He sits while the guards stand at attention behind him.
"Do you know why you were brought before your leadership?" Jude asks him.
"No," Four responds.
"I have here the original copies of your contracts for training initiates the past two years," Jude says holding them out. "You have signed that you are aware of the rules an instructor must abide by."
"Yes, sir," Four says.
"Then explain to me how it is that you got involved in a relationship with an initiate?" Jude asks.
Four's eyes immediately shift to Tris. "What proof do you have of these accusations?" he questions.
"After all the hubbub about what happened yesterday with your intimidation of a leader, we went back a little further," Jude says. "We were also made aware on Friday night about an attempted murder on our newest leader. We take these types of behaviors very seriously at Dauntless. One was done publicly, the other privately. As her instructor and considering you are the one who saved her life, you should have reported this incident—regardless of her wishes. It was in your contract to do so. You, as her superior, knew better."
"Yes, sir," he nods. "But... about the proof?"
"You know we have it. Would you really like the guards to see what you've done?" Jude tells him.
He looks to Tris and she stares back. His jaw clenches, "No, sir."
"Alright. Moving on," Jude continues. "She will have no punishment whatsoever. She was not aware of the laws on fraternizing with superiors. You—the responsible party—should have said something. However, you, as her superior, were the one who initiated every instance of indecent behavior."
Four grits his teeth again staring at the table.
"Do you understand everything so far, Four?" I ask.
"Yeah, somehow I'm in trouble and she isn't," he replies flatly.
"You knew better. You hid the relationship and didn't tell her it was not allowed. You are at fault. She said if she knew that it was illegal, she wouldn't have gotten involved with you," I explain.
He looks to her hurt. "It's true. I'm actually pretty angry at you for taking advantage of me," Tris tells him.
He looks away and stares at the table.
"What about her scores? She shouldn't be first," he attempts to make a jab at her.
"The relationship didn't start until after stage one. From then on her times determined her rank," Jude says.
"You also didn't post the ranks in the proper order for the first stage. You chose what you wanted. She should have been third or fourth based on the stats, not sixth," I add.
"She should have been third," Max says. "I did figure out the numbers after I was made aware. We do NOT rank initiates based on fear of them being targeted. You were trying to hold her back."
Four shoulders slum as he sits in his chair. His posture's less defensive, more submissive.
"Okay, so next is the break up..." Jude says looking over his notes. "We have here that you've bruised her, used your position in the control room to invade her privacy, stalked her, you're at her door every night causing a ruckus..."
"That's not true," Four says in disbelief.
I scoff, "Which part are you deceiving yourself about?"
"All of them," he states.
"Stay here," I tell Tris. I wake up Max's computer and cue up the recording of the cafeteria when he shoved her. I play it for the room. I pull out my phone and show him the bruises. "That's not from you? If you didn't hear her yesterday, you heard it now. You've seen the damage... next, abuse of power. Here's you in the control room looking for her to find out where she is. We have your login information and you weren't scheduled until today after initiation. After that, you stalked her," I say.
"I did not stalk her!" he insists.
I pull up yesterday's recordings. We watch as he follows her from shop to shop before the lingerie store. "What's this Four?" I ask. "What are they doing that has you blushing? You were embarrassed, yet you kept looking back?"
He shakes his head flushing.
"Four, this is creepy," Tris says.
He hangs his head in shame before lifting it to look at her. "I just wanted to talk to you," he says.
"Yeah, and you thought you could get me alone," Tris says. "You said yourself last night that you expected us to get back together and you'd be in my bed when I've already told you repeatedly that it was over. You don't listen. I don't want you stalking me and checking me out when my best friend and I have a personal moment talking about our wedding nights. I wasn't thinking about you when she put that outfit up to me. I was imagining my husband in the future, someone you will never be."
"Four, in the future, if you want to talk to a girl, you go to their door and knock," Max says. "If they're not home, you come back later. If they tell you no, you leave them alone. She's told you no so many times. You're not listening. Leadership says no. Tris is off limits to you."
"Is that everything?" Lydia asks.
"Gossip," I say.
"I've got this one," Ryan says sitting up straight in his seat. "Four, just because the faction spreads gossip doesn't automatically make it true. Do you know Rosie Evans?" Four nods. "Has she wanted to come to your apartment for sex?" Four nods again. "What was your answer?"
"No, I'm not interested in those kinds of girls," he says disgusted.
"Neither am I," Ryan states. "Just because I'm a leader doesn't mean I actually do everything everyone says I do. If you see a girl like Lena or Rosie around me, it's usually me trying to get away. I see them and I run in the opposite direction. Anyway, whatever negative stuff that's going around about us, like we're scary or whatever, that has nothing to do with training initiates. You, as their superior, were supposed to be training them, not filling their heads with lies about us. If you don't like us, keep it to yourself. You can talk on your own free time not when we're paying you to teach them how to fight. We shouldn't have an initiate sexually harassed or the same one almost murdered. If there's something going on that leadership needs to be made aware of, then the initiates should feel welcome here and safe in telling you or us what's going on. There will be significant changes next year to initiation. If you don't change your attitude, you will not be participating."
"My turn?" Lydia asks. We all pound the table. Four jumps in surprise.
"Four," Lydia starts. "You were number one in your initiation. We value you here at Dauntless, but we cannot allow what has been going on to continue. We realize you have saved Tris's life and we do completely appreciate it whether you realize it or not. Because of these, we have come to a decision that would be lesser than others might have received. You will receive counseling from Amity. I personally chose the woman you will speak with. You will meet with her weekly. You will be monitored until we deem that you are no longer a threat. You are forbidden to approach Tris. You are not to be at her door bothering her. Her answer is no. It is not changing. And finally, your job is changing. You will be working for Jax."
"What? I've lost my job? I never signed up to be a soldier," Four complains.
"Son," Jax speaks up for the first time. "I don't know if you've realized but Chris—your supervisor—reports to me. I am your commanding officer and every single member in this faction is a soldier. From the fence guards, to the janitors, to the cafeteria workers, every individual in this faction is still trained to be a soldier. On a personal note, if Egan were still here—and thank God he's not—if he saw you push a leader-in-training like you did yesterday morning, he would have executed you in front of the entire cafeteria. I've seen it done. Consider yourself lucky he's retired."
"Do you understand what we've told you," Jude questions Four.
"Yeah, I'm demoted," he says dejectedly.
"Your position has changed. It's actually a better job," I say.
"Fine, I'm being transferred, I'm getting therapy, and I'm not getting back with Tris," he says looking at her with a broken expression on his face.
"A word of advice in the future," Max starts.  "If you're not going to participate in faction gatherings, you have the option not to attend.  It's rude and everyone notices when you don't participate," he pauses and Four nods.  "You're dismissed."
"Come on, Four," Jax says standing and leading him out of the door. "Lara from Amity is waiting to talk with you.  You'll meet with her weekly in our department's conference room downstairs..."
The guards follow them out and shut the door. 
"That was easier than last night.  It was like pulling teeth," I comment.
Ryan snorts.