Chapter 70

We leave church together on foot carrying our bags and dishes. The Metcalf's home isn't far from here. Christina is beside me while Will and Eric talk behind us. My parents are just in front of us... with Jude of all people alongside them. They're all conversing. I mentioned last night at dinner that Christina and Will were joining us for service. He asked why and when I explained, he invited himself along. I'm actually glad to have him here. I notice that my mother made a loaf of her bread. I think I'll ask her for the recipe. It's the one food from Abnegation that I enjoyed.
I observe that Christina has been quiet and that's unusual for her. I glance over at her. "What'd you think of the service?" I ask her.
"It was nice," she nods. "I hadn't realized your grandfather was the pastor."
"Yeah," I grin.
"Or that you sang so well," she adds.
My smile widens. "Thank you," I tell her.
"It's just... the message really resonated with me," she explains.
"Yeah... me, too," I reply. She must thinking it over and treasuring the words. I do that sometimes—pondering on the ideas presented and seeing how I can change or work on a part of my life... even thinking of ways to impact others and show God's love.
We arrive at the house. It's a lovely several story home with a manicured front yard. The house itself is very old in appearance—most likely built before the formation of our society. Dana and her mom, Angela, are at the door welcoming everyone.  I hug my friend upon entry.  I see Daisy is present.  She joined us today.  Apparently there's a service in Amity that I never knew about.  That's where she usually goes. 
I part from Dana and hug Mrs Metcalf.  They shake hands with several others.  I notice how lovely the decor is—several shades of blue with creams and light tans.  It's very calming and comfortable in here.  My mom directs Christina and I into the kitchen area to set down our baked goods.  I see Jude placing some sort of boxed dessert onto the table. 
"What'd you bring?" I inquire. 
"A lemon Dauntless cake.  Eric's partial to citrus," he explains. 
"I'm sure he'll appreciate it," I tell him. 
"Is that homemade?" he asks me motioning to my container of muffins. 
I nod, "Eric and I tried out a recipe in one of my cookbooks.  They're actually really good."
He looks at me waiting for me to tell him. 
"Blueberry muffins," I grin. 
"And Christina's mother's zucchini bread," he nods.  "It looks like I'll have to try several."
I laugh lightly in response but think I'll try something new—probably a piece of Christina's bread. I look around to see their island and countertop almost completely covered in food—some in crockpots like Dana's which I see over there, some in ice, and others on regular dishes. There are a few empty platters—I'm assuming as a place holder for the meat I can smell grilling outside. I see my grandma come in and set down a dish of what looks to be a cold salad but I'm unsure of what it is. 
"What'd you bring, Grandma?" I ask her curiously. 
"My famous broccoli salad," she replies grinning. 
I look on in interest. 
"I'll give you the recipe," she laughs lightly.  "Your father mentioned that you might like some."
"I would appreciate that," I say excitedly. 
"Of course, angel," she beams.  "Let's go find that handsome man of yours."
"Alright," I giggle bashfully. 
She leads me out the back door. I see an enormous in-ground pool that looks vaguely familiar. It takes up the vast majority of their backyard. There's a large privacy fence surrounding it with some paved, some grassy areas. Many of the children are already swimming in the pool. The adults are all congregated around in various groups chatting. I see my grandpa talking with Jude.
"There he is," Grandma says beside me. "He's with Anthony over at the grill."
I look to my far right. On a paved patio covered with a wooden pergola is Mr Metcalf grilling at a barbecue and talking with Eric. He's laughing and he does look so incredibly attractive.
"Why don't you go see what those two are up to?" she suggests.
"Okay," I nod smiling.  I gravitate towards them. 
As I approach, my focus is diverted to the grill. Everything looks and smells incredible.
"Hey," Eric greets me. "Tony was just telling me that he was in initiation with my parents. He and my dad shared a room."
I smile at hearing that.
"He said he knew from the start that they were going to end up together," he explains.
"Oh?" I question intrigued.
Mr Metcalf nods. "Even in their younger days," he starts as he turns some chicken on the grill. "Christopher used to pick dandelions or wild daisies in primary school and give them to Janice before class."
"What were you laughing about then?" I inquire.
"At the time, my dad didn't know dandelions were weeds. He gave her an entire bouquet of them," he chuckles.
I grin at that. That's sweet. 
"You're not changed," Eric notices.  He's wearing his swim trunks—I think—and a t-shirt. 
"Oh," I remember the bag in my other arm with clothes and a swimsuit. 
"Why don't you go upstairs?  There are several rooms you can use to change," he suggests. 
"Alright," I nod. 
Eric leans closer and whispers in my ear.  The sensation tickles a little and causes me to shudder involuntarily.  "You can put your clothes over your bathing suit," he advises.  "So, you're comfortable for now."
"Okay," I whisper back. 
He pecks my lips before I leave. 
I step back into the house and explore a little.  I've never been in such a nice home before.  Abnegation was plain and undecorated.  My apartment is nice and spacious but this?  This is amazing.  Some more children run by me as I round the banister.  They're dressed in swimwear and heading for the pool.  I know this house is large... but I can actually imagine having something like this with a whole army of children running around.  I could definitely see Eric as a father to my children...
I climb the staircase and notice a slew of doorways—all closed. One at the end of the hall opens and out walks Christina in a cute outfit with a towel in hand.
"You want me to wait for you?" she offers.
"Sure," I shrug. "I'll try to be quick."
She grins in reply.
I step in to see a baby blue bedroom. It kind of has a little girl feel to it with lacy curtains and fringe around a canopy bed. It has a soft, comforting feeling in here. I notice pictures of Dana when she was younger on the dresser. There are a few with her at close to my age with a boy. He has brown hair and eyes. He's very handsome. His face seems quite friendly. I realize that must be her missing boyfriend. That thought makes me sad. I turn my back to the smiles in those pictures and dress in my swimsuit, then a casual pair of shorts and a t-shirt. I put my sunglasses on top of my head and slip on some flip flops. I carry my tube of sunscreen along with my towel and a coverup.
I walk out of the room to see Chris and Will both waiting for me. "Thanks for waiting," I grin.
"It's no problem," Will responds.
"We don't really know anyone here," Christina says at the same time.
"Sure you do," I protest. "You know Eric, Jude, Dana, and both my parents," I tell her counting them off on my fingers.
"They're mostly faction leaders, though," she replies softly. "I feel a little intimidated by them."
"You know I'm going to be a faction leader," I point out.
"Yeah, but you're different," she insists.
"How's that?" I laugh lightly.
"We know you better," Will chimes in.
"True," I nod. "Why don't we work on this problem of yours?" I suggest.
We descend down the staircase onto ground level and walk through the house. I observe Mrs Metcalf putting a cover over the platter of grilled chicken. It smells so good. We step outside to see Eric chatting with my family. I sigh. The only person missing is my brother... and his sister perhaps. I wonder if I'll ever get the chance to meet her. He did mention that Jeanine let him visit with her in exchange for information—but he only intends on giving her limited, filtered information that all leadership agrees on.
We join them and my grandma hugs Christina again—just like earlier when she met them at church. 
"You don't know what a great comfort it is for me to see Beatrice have such a wonderful friend," she gushes. 
Christina laughs bashfully and glances at me. 
"She's the best friend I've ever had," she admits. 
"Awe... you, too," I say earnestly. 
She smiles at me and puts an arm around me.  My parents lead us over to a large seated area.  We sit down and join them chatting.  My mom and grandma really help to make Christina feel welcome and at ease, my dad and grandpa with Will.  I notice Eric and Jude joking around with him as well. Even my dad is laughing.  I look around and see the smiles on everyone's faces.  This is a great day.  Eric reaches for my hand and I meet his eyes.  I forgot for a moment why we're here.  Today really is special.  I can't believe I'm participating in this—it's like a defining moment in a person's life... and he wants me to be a part of it.  He kisses my temple softly.  I close my eyes and sigh so contently.  Yeah... today is special. 
"Lunch is served," Dana announces. 
We join the line of people heading toward the kitchen.  My grandpa prays over the food.  Everyone joins in prayer.  After that, the line begins to progress.  I see Mr Metcalf adding another tray of meat to the buffet and I'm grateful that there's plenty.  Eric and I arrive at the countertop and there's such a variety of food—meatballs, chicken sausages, hamburgers, grilled chicken, hotdogs... and that's just the protein.  I get a healthy helping of several meats and proceed onto the side dishes.  I see a variety of salads—some with cheese or crispy bread cubes, some with diced meat like ham along with chopped boiled eggs.  There are noodle salads, broccoli salad, chicken salad, raw veggies and dill dip, pickles, chips and dips.  Eric informs me that one is a buffalo chicken dip which ought to be spicy.  Then there is a spinach and artichoke dip, avocado with veggies... the list goes on.  I realize I have an overflowing plate and in all honesty, I'll probably finish it and come back for more. 
Eric and I exit the house and sit down at a few chairs out on the patio under the pergola.  I see Christina and Will exit a moment later.  I wave them over and give up my seat for Will, sitting on Eric's lap.  Chris chuckles and does the same since the seating is filling in.  I see Mr Metcalf putting out a couple more tables.  My dad and Jude place some folding chairs out and several people thank them.  I smile at that but I'm perfectly content to sit right here.  I see a few of the kids sitting in the grass eating hotdogs and watermelon slices, corn on the cob. 
"Oh man, I missed all of that," I mumble. 
"I think you've got enough," Eric teases poking at a bite of my broccoli salad with his fork.  "That's good," he mentions. 
"Yeah?" I question trying a bite myself.  "You weren't kidding," I nod in agreement.  I'm surprised it's a little sweet.  It has cranberries in there, too.  "My grandma made this... offered me the recipe," I explain between bites. 
Eric grins in reply.  His plate is resting on my lap while he eats a massive hamburger.  He's holding the burger with one hand and wrapped his arm around me with the other.  I feel the occasional kiss to my temple as I hold my plate and eat with a fork.  Christina makes small talk with us complimenting the food, the house, the pool...  I smile at her and can't agree more. 
When we finish, Christina and I go and socialize a bit.  I introduce her to some of the ladies at church—some with families, some single.  Eric and Will talk with some of the men.  I see Eric sneak a peek at me grinning before he fixes his attention back at their conversation.  Dana and Daisy join us along with my mom and grandma.  I'm smiling and laughing at my grandma's jokes.  I'd never realized how funny she was.  She could rival Ryan.  When it quiets a little, my grandma gives me a box filled with recipe cards—hers and other family members' recipes. I hold it to my chest and thank her, truly cherishing this wonderful gift.
I hear my grandpa announce that he's going to start with the baptisms.  Some of the children go out and wait.  It's mostly their parents who baptize them with my grandpa.  I smile as the children speak about the difference in their lives God has made and how much He means to them.  A few teens go out and I see Eric waving me over.  I excuse myself from the ladies and join him.  I slip off my shorts and cover-up setting my things aside.  He's only wearing his trunks.  I take off my flip flops and put them all together.  Eric grasps my hand and we climb in the shallow end.  It's about waist deep and a bit warmer than the pond—very clean and clear, too.  He steps forward still holding firmly to my hand.  We meet in front of my grandfather and he announces that Eric is next.  Eric met with him before service today like everyone else and discussed this.  He elaborates on how I entered his life and changed everything.  He says that I slowly introduced him to God and I'm moved at his words.  He explains how no matter what happens in our lives, that he feels he can rely on God for every situation to carry him through. 
"So much has changed recently.  My eyes have been opened and I'm hopeful for my future to make a real difference in the lives I touch," he says to everyone as he meets my eyes. 
I smile and wipe a tear that slips out without my permission.  I help my grandpa support him. 
"Eric, I baptize you in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit," Grandpa says. 
He plugs his nose and we lean him back together.  I can see as the water washes over him that it's obvious he's having a real, life changing experience.  He rises and wipes his face with such a calm, peaceful, serene expression across his countenance.  He sighs and looks to me.  He hugs me tightly, then thanks my grandfather.  We step aside and out of the pool.  I grab my towel and so does he.  We observe as a few other adults get baptized.  Then I see my mom and Jude coming into the water.  I laugh in surprise.  I didn't know about this. 
"Better late than never," Jude smiles. 
My mom laughs lightly.  I see her in a full Abnegation swimsuit—it's very modest and covers everything, like a long-sleeved dress with leggings. 
Jude gives a testimony I find shocking, how my mom led him to Christ and saved his wife before she crossed over.  I feel Eric slide an arm around my chest.  I look up to him and he's listening intently.  I turn my attention back and hear the most moving, life-changing experience I think I've ever witnessed.  My mom and grandpa baptize him and he's just as captivated as Eric. 
We all clap and the kids jump into the pool.  They were waiting patiently for the last ones.  Jude picks up a little Erudite boy and throws him.  The little boy laughs and asks him to do it again. 
"You want to join them?" Eric asks me. 
"Yes," I nod excitedly. 
We enter the pool and play around with the children.  Several are hanging on Eric as if he were a jungle gym.  I grin and can't stop imagining that handsome man in the future... as a father himself.  That thought brings such joy to my heart.