Chapter 19

I wave to Christina as I step closer. She rushes up with her tray from the table. "We need to talk," she mouths to me as we put our trays on the return. I nod and we leave the cafeteria together.
We get to her apartment and she closes the door. She hugs me gently. I think she needs the comfort more than I do at this point. When we finally separate, she pulls me over to her sofa to sit down. Her apartment is nice. It's kind of quaint. The sofa is made of tan leather. It's a bit worn but still in decent condition. Eric did say they get used furniture. She's got a matching leather chair nearby and a black wooden coffee table. The carpet is burgundy and looks pretty clean compared to my wooden floors when I got my place. Her kitchen is kind of small, like half the size of Eric's. It's an L-shaped kitchen with black and white checkered tile, medium brown oak cabinets, a maroon countertop, and a white and black fridge and stove. I see three doors on the opposite side of the apartment—I'm assuming bathroom, bedroom, and maybe closet.
"Girl, what happened? I'm hearing gossip all over the Pit. While we were walking around, everybody's chattering about how Four was trying to push you around. That he got all up in your face in front of everybody," she says concerned.
I shrug, "It does sound terrible, doesn't it?" I begin to explain the whole story and her expression changes from concern... to proud and in awe of my behavior.
"Oh my gawd!" she exclaims in a way only Christina can. "You really stood up to him like that? He listened and backed down... he even apologized." She shakes her head. "I can't believe it," she tells me resting her face on her open hand. "You really are leadership material. You were all mature and calm. Speaking clearly so Mr Intimidation could understand." She sighs again.
"I can't believe the guards stood up for me," I admit. "The man who spoke up... I ran into his wife and kids today. His wife apologized because he thought he was out of line. Eric shook her hand and commended him, told him he did exactly what he's supposed to do."
"Wow," she says in shock. "And here all along Four was acting like Eric was the bad guy when their roles are reversed. They're like night and day—different."
"I don't think Four is all bad. I think he needs some counseling for sure. He has some good parts but he has some rage issues, too. He's very immature. I would never consider going back to that again. Especially since I know now that I was associating my confusion of physical contact with interest," I say.
"Speaking of interest..." Christina says clasping her hands together. She waits for me to tell her.
"Okay, so you can't tell anyone, not even Will. He rooms with Uriah and... well, promise me you won't say anything and I'll tell you everything," I figure.
"My lips are sealed. I may be an ex-Candor, but I can keep a secret," she pledges lifting one hand.
I chuckle. "So since Uriah and Will are roommates, I just don't want it to slip. Leadership wouldn't consider Uriah because of the gossip," I admit.
She looks surprised but she nods in understanding. "Yeah, yeah. That could be trouble with sensitive things."
"So, last night after Four came and yelled at me some more, Eric was helping Ryan home and saw him slam my door. He came over to check on me. I dumped everything on him that was happening. I even cried, like sobbing tears and stuff. You know that's not me, right?" I say.
She nods. She's seen. I'm not a crier. "So after I tell him everything, like how Four did all this stuff and I didn't really feel anything other than my feelings were hurt a little..."
"What do you mean?" she asks.
"I realized that I never had feelings for Four. It was like he was interested in me and I just let him in, you know?" I clarify.
She nods. "I get it."
"So, I told him that after all of that I'm grateful to Four for showing me what I want and what I don't. Eric kind of figured it out," I say grinning.
"And?" she says practically jumping out of her seat.
"He kissed me," I admit.
She squeals in excitement and hugs me. I laugh and tell her all the details when we separate.
"I am so happy for you," she says pausing. "Is that what has Four so upset?"
"It could be," I admit. "We're intentionally not showing any public affection for a little while because the faction saw me with Four and you've heard the rumors going around, right? Rumors about me, rumors about Eric, rumors about Ryan."
"Yeah, this place is like a bad game of telephone. Everybody has a different story and not all of it's true," she says.
"So... yeah. We're going to wait like a week or two before messing around outside of closed doors," I explain.
"Truthfully, that probably is for the best. You guys have this like image and everybody is in your business. They make their own opinions and spread their gossip..." she nods.
"Yeah," I smile sadly.
"But you've got your man," she says grinning. "Is it terrible that I want to ask how it was?"
"What?" I question.
"Is he a good kisser?" she clarifies.
"Phenomenal," I say slowly and closing my eyes for emphasis.
"Has he had a lot of practice then?" she asks hesitantly.
"Oddly, no. I've had more practice. He told me his first kiss was that some girl got dared to do it. He was really mad," I explain.
"You mean Mr Sexy Dauntless Leader is inexperienced?" she asks in shock.
"I'm his first real kiss," I divulge. I laugh. "And they are addictive. I'm craving him right now just talking about it. I need my Eric fix," I joke but I am salivating a little.
Christina laughs covering her face. "You are coming out of your shell again. I'm so glad. He's perfect for you. I can tell," she says emotionally when she calms down.
"Yeah, he's definitely the one for me," I admit.