Chapter 37 (Eric's POV)

I watch as she drifts off and I can't help myself from kissing her again—just because I can now.  I smirk at the surprised looks on everyone's faces earlier.  It's funny though, that Wendy didn't seem too surprised—neither did Will but Tris said her friends mentioned that they thought I liked her.  They definitely don't know me, though, because I'm head over heels in love with her. 
I sigh stroking her cheek gently.  I kiss the back of her hand as well before I rise and continue on to my desk to get some more work done.  I decide to take a break from my inbox and check my email.  I see two recent messages from Natalie Prior.  I open the first.  It's an updated census.  It appears very similar to the other but there are a few new options included.  It has information about people living together—whether their relationship is romantic or friendly.  They've switched a few other things but mostly left it the same.  I think this will work for our faction.  I step back to her message and read that all factions will receive this updated version, as not to make anyone feel discriminated against.  That was nice.  My guess is that it was probably mostly for Dauntless's sake but they changed them all nonetheless. 
I open the other message from her to see that Abnegation will be here after breakfast starting on Monday and every meal after that.  Natalie informs me that they have a somewhat thrown together mess hall set up but they may plan to redo another building in the meantime to better support the frequent donations—depending on the results of the census and if any changes are made. 
I send a message thanking her for the information and let her know we're interviewing candidates later today for our newly created positions. 
I reply to the rest of my messages which are typical. 
I hear a ping on my cellphone and I pick it up.  Jeanine sent me a message. 

Call me when you're available.

I sigh and just get it over with.  I dial her number and she picks up on the first ring. 

"Eric?  That was fast."

"I just finished some work.  I figured now's as good a time as any since I have meetings later."

"Did you see the second census email?"

"Yes."

"Are they incompetent or something?"

"I'm sure it's my doing.  I noticed there were only traditional relationships listed.  Dauntless is rather unconventional."

"How so?"

"Many people here sleep around.  Some live together.  Some have children out of wedlock.  There are some homosexual couples, too."

"Hmm."

There's a pause. 

"I hadn't realized how... aberrant Dauntless was."

"Yeah."

"You're not getting caught up in all of that are you?

I'm surprised by the question and the actual concern for my well-being. 

"No.  My father taught me to wait for marriage, regardless of what everyone else here does."

She sighs. 

"Yeah.  That sounds like Christopher."

There's another pause. 

"That's all I needed to know.  Oh, and Eric?"