Chapter 15

I wake in the morning on a billowy lilac cloud. I smile remembering that amazing dream I had about Eric. I don't know if I'll be able to look him in the eyes without blushing. It must've been from having that flash of my fear while he was in this room. But the dream wasn't scary at all. It was almost magical. I dreamt that he kissed me... with his tongue—something Tobias never did. I've seen Christina and Will do it—extremely sloppily—but the feeling in the dream was soft and surprising. It wasn't messy at all. He was so gentle and even the rougher kisses were intoxicating. I sigh. I better get these thoughts out of my head or I'll have a constant blush on my face for the rest of the day.
I stretch and roll over, caressing the soft fabric of my bedding, the fluffy purple pillows. The comforter is primarily lilac with a black velvet filigree pattern encompassing the entire coverlet. The black throw blanket I bought looks like fluffy faux fur and my sheets are charcoal grey. I look around my room at the entire bedroom set. I've got my bed up against the wall by the closet so as I wake, I face both walls of windows. There's a charcoal grey chair set in the corner of the room near the balcony door. I've got a black chest of drawers and a matching dresser set on the other side of the room. The dresser is on the wall by the hallway, the chest of drawers on the wall next to that just before the window starts. There's a mirror on top of the dresser and I love the thought of having one so readily available. I can look at my reflection anytime I want now. I recall that Eric thinks I'm beautiful. That thought makes me smile. I roll over again and see my night stand beside me. I figure if I ever get married, my spouse will get the other one on the far side. That definitely won't be Tobias Eaton. I can't believe how he treated me last night. For being two years older than me, he's such a child. Then I think about Eric and how I spent so much time with him yesterday. I really hope he likes me. I think about the dream with those incredible kisses and I know I'm blushing again. I look over to my watch on my nightstand and see that I have plenty of time until breakfast. I remember that someone has to walk me down though. Something happened to Lydia and as weird as I felt yesterday, I don't want to collapse in the Pit and cause a scene. Leadership has to maintain a certain attitude in public and I have to be the good influence for the faction. I see my discarded pill pack and I realize I actually feel pretty good today. I stretch once more and push my sheets back. I sit up slowly and reach for my watch again to put it on my wrist. I graze something under my watch and realize it's my keys. In the dream last night, I gave Eric a key to my apartment. I look at the key ring to see two keys to my apartment and one different one. Oh, God. It was real. A wave of embarrassment, then utter euphoria washes over me. He really likes me.
I stare at the key to his apartment in shock.  It wasn't a dream.  It wasn't a dream.  I smile laughing and throw myself back on my bed.  I squeal in excitement.  Maybe I'll be able to spend some extra time with him before we go downstairs.  I need to get up and get ready, though. 
I rise quickly and tidy up my bed. I grab my clean clothes for the day before I walk to the bathroom and go through my morning routine. As I comb my hair, I look around and realize I don't have much in here. There's a few things I could use too like hangers and a hamper... miscellaneous items like that. I'm also thinking my clothing choices are pretty bland. I could use some more shampoo and things like that. Maybe I'll see if I can get Eric to take me for all the home stuff, then Christina for all the girly things. I think they'd both like that.
I finish up and grab my last load of clean laundry from the washer. I still can't believe he bought this for me. I still can't believe he kissed me. Now that I think about it, I'm glad I was so honest with him about Tobias. He wasn't a mistake, more like puppy love. I didn't know what a relationship could be like. I needed higher standards. I'm glad I realized that and got out fast or he would have completely taken over my life and had me living in a nightmare of constant fear and paranoia. I feel free now, happy, hopeful.
I drop the laundry on my sofa. I figure I'll do that last. I walk over to the kitchen and grab out the vitamins they wanted me to take. The glasses on the shelf are really dusty so I just wash another one. I realize I have no drying rack and I'll need that, too. I fill the glass up and swallow one vitamin with a gulp. I decide I'll finish with the laundry while I wait for Eric to come over. I sigh in contentment as I take a seat and fold my clothes. The movement is soothing. I don't know why I enjoy routine so much. Maybe that's one of my many problems with Tobias. He was kind of unpredictable. I never knew what was going to come next. I try to push thoughts of him aside. They just get me agitated. I prefer the calm atmosphere around Eric. He's actually so laid back. I never would've guessed that several days ago. I'm so incredibly happy with how my life is turning out.
I hear a gentle knock on my door. I set the laundry aside and answer it. I open it to see Eric.
"Good morning," he nods smiling.
"Morning," I beam. I'm expecting something from him but he just stands there kind of standoffish. "Is everything okay?" I ask.
"Yeah.  You?" he responds and a thought occurs to me... maybe he thinks it was all a dream, too. It was pretty fantastical.
"Did you have some good dreams?" I ask. He furrows his brows and I smile. He's not believing it was real. I pull out my keys and dangle them in front of him. He looks confused and then realization comes over him. He practically attacks me with a kiss in the doorway. I laugh into the kiss and wrap my arms around him.
I hear someone clear their throat and I freeze. Eric and I peek our heads down the hallway—still wrapped in each other's arms—to see Lydia and her boyfriend staring at us grinning.
"Teenagers," the man laughs.
"You two have about sixty seconds until the rotation comes to this camera and someone in intelligence will see you on the monitors," Lydia warns. We separate awkwardly. "Finish up sucking face in her apartment. Then wait about ten minutes until your faces aren't red anymore to come down to breakfast."
"Thanks for the tip," Eric calls out. "Morning, Hale."
"Morning," her boyfriend responds.
"Oh, it's time!" Lydia shouts elbowing him.
Eric and I laugh as the two of them turn around and make silly faces at the camera in the hall.
Lydia composes herself after a moment. She's trying not to laugh though. "So, it's about time. The tension of the last twenty-four hours was killer. I wouldn't be doing any of that in public though for the next week or two with that little peck you gave Four the other day," she says.
"That was the plan," Eric agrees.
"Yeah, yet you couldn't even make it past her door. You better go release some of that tension before starting your day on the outside," she advises.
"Will do," he nods. "Hey, you want to see her place?"
"Yeah! Can I?" she questions excitedly.
"Sure," I shrug. They both come down the hallway and enter my apartment. "Hale?" I ask reaching my hand out to shake. He meets it and I can't help but think he's a giant. "It's nice to meet you."
"Same here," he grins. "I'm surprised you included us last night."
"Well, you were the first to congratulate me—even before I had the offer," I shrug.
"Only idiots turn down a leadership opportunity," he responds.
"Yeah, like Four," Eric mumbles.
Hale chuckles.
"This is amazing. You did all of this yesterday?" Lydia asks. She walks around the whole apartment.
"Yeah, it's not done but we picked out all the furniture," I explain.
"Man," she says excitedly. "Where'd you go?"
"Hannah Pedrad at the home store helped me. I picked out the sofa. She kind of got everything else to match," I explain.
"Hale, we need to go shopping," she says smiling.
"Whatever you want," he shrugs. "It's your money."
"Okay, well, we'll see you guys down at breakfast. I've been waiting to kiss my girlfriend long enough," Eric says jokingly.
"Girlfriend? Really?" Lydia asks.
I nod my affirmation. She squeals happily and hugs me, then Eric. "Just imagine, if they get married, they'll be the first couple in Dauntless Leadership," she says to Hale.
"I thought you were against marriage?" he asks her confused.
"Well, it's fine for them. It's just not for me," she shrugs as they walk out the door. "See you soon lovebirds!"
Eric shuts the door and locks it. He stalks up to me and picks me up from underneath my arms. I squeal in surprise as my legs dangle down. He holds me up at his level, kissing me gently. I wrap my arms around him and I feel him walking with me. He takes a seat in one of my chairs and places me on his lap. He leans our foreheads together and I smile. "I thought it wasn't real," he admits.
"Me, too, until I saw the keys next to my bed," I tell him.
He reaches out for me and kisses me softly, gently, then depending the kiss. He opens my mouth with his tongue and I tremble at how much I enjoy intimacy with him. I always shied away from this type of affection, now I crave it. I can't get enough of him. We kiss... and kiss...  and kiss. I'm panting when he finally slows down and I realize so is he. I kiss his cheek and sit back to notice that Lydia was right. "Your face is all red," I tell him.
"I'm not embarrassed—far from it," he breathes pecking my lips again.
"Right here," I say tracing around his mouth.
He backs up to look at me. "Sorry," he apologizes caressing around my mouth lightly. "Maybe I got carried away," he says guiltily.
"I don't mind," I breathe.
We sit together holding each other. I nuzzle my face to his neck and he breathes into my hair. I'm so comfortable and relaxed that I feel I might drift off to sleep. I'm not sure how long we stay here but I feel like I just don't want to leave from this spot.
I hear a funny gurgling noise. "What was that?" I ask.
Eric laughs. "I think it's you," he says. He places a hand on my abdomen and I close my eyes sighing at the feeling of him touching me. I feel the rumble this time against his hand. "You're hungry," he states.
"Is that what that is?" I ask surprised.
"Sometimes," he says.
"Your face isn't red anymore," I point out.
"Neither is yours," he says back kissing me gently once more. He deepens the kiss and I realize pulling away, "We're never leaving are we?"
He laughs. "Okay," he gives in. "Let's go. You are hungry so that's a big deal."
I smile. It is.
I lock up and we head down. "Do you want to go out with me today?" I ask.
"What did you have in mind?" he inquires.
"I need a few things like hangers, a hamper, a drying rack for dishes..." I list off.
"Sure. I'd love to spend my day with you," he says.
"Well, I was thinking I needed a few more things too but maybe if Christina is free it could be just the two of us," I say. "I was thinking like shampoo, clothes... the girly things. Unless you want to come with?" I ask giggling.
"That might give us away," he admits.
"Yeah," I nod.
"I want to kiss you already," he whispers in my ear.
"Maybe next week," I laugh.
"I can't wait," he says seductively.
I look to him and smile. We enter breakfast together and he leads me over to the line. "I'll help you with food," he offers. I smile dreamily in thanks. We get up to the counter and there's a big selection. "What have you had?" he asks.
"Scrambled eggs, toast, muffins, fruit. I've kind of stuck to what I'm familiar with. The muffins were new to me, though," I explain.
"How about we try some new protein? You could try a pancake, too. They've got some smaller ones today. Usually they're the size of a plate," he says. I nod. I saw those and figured I'd never touch them because of that. That's actually why I always took so little. I don't want to waste much but I could never eat it all.
Eric fills a plate for me first with one of those small pancakes, some sort of meats but only one of each, some scrambled eggs and a small cup of fruit. He passes me the plate and I put it on my tray. I watch as he loads up on everything he gave me but the portions are probably four times what I got.
"What do you want to drink?" he asks me.
I shrug.
"Milk, orange juice, coffee?" he lists off.
"I've never had orange juice before. Is it good?" I ask.
"Do you like oranges?" he asks.
"Sure," I nod. He grabs a glass and places it on my plate. He gets the same for himself. I have to stop myself from kissing him in thanks. This is going to be tough.
We leave the line and walk over toward the leaders tables. I see my friends all out having breakfast. I can't help myself from stopping by to say hello. "Good morning everybody!" I say to them all.
"Morning!" Will waves. So does does Marlene and Lynn. I see Shauna and Zeke cuddled up together and I smile at them. They smile back.
"Somebody woke up on the right side of the bed," Christina says. She motions to Eric with her eyes.
"I'm just having a great day," I beam.
"Me, too, Trissy," Uriah shouts out from further down the table. I wave with my fingers as I hold my tray. He waves back from underneath his resting on the table teasingly.
"Hey, can we talk after lunch?" I ask Christina.
"Sure you wanna do something?" she asks.
"Yeah, if you're not busy," I nod.
"Okay. Go eat. Your eggs are getting cold," she shoos me away.
"Okay, okay. I'm going," I say. I turn and see Tobias further down the table. He's staring at me. "Morning, Four," I call out. He doesn't respond.
"Let's go," Eric says guiding me with his hand on my back again.
I walk with him up to the leadership table. Lydia is smiling like crazy and so is Max. I don't see Jude yet. Ryan's on the end rubbing his temple and it looks like he's got a cup of coffee in his hand. Eric sits beside Ryan. I set my tray between Eric and Max before I take my seat. "Good morning," Max says to me.
"Good morning," I reply grinning from ear to ear.
He passes me some salt and I stare at it. "What do you put it on?" I ask.
"The eggs. The rest probably doesn't need it. Don't use too much. Just a pinch or less," he explains.
He actually grabs it and turns it sideways gently shaking it on his eggs. I do the same but less since my portion is smaller. I try a bite and that tastes so different.
"It brings out the flavor," he says. I smile at him. "So... I heard the good news. Congratulations," he whispers to me and kisses the top of my head.
"Thank you," I mouth to him with my lip quivering.
"Lydia is right. Just wait a while. At least a couple days should do it. The whole faction noticed what he did last night. Even his friends haven't been too happy with him today," he says.
"What do you mean?" I ask.
"He didn't cheer but the rest did. That's considered disrespectful. If he wasn't going to support you, he shouldn't have come. It's like being invited to a party and spitting in the host's face. I'll admit, I'm not too happy with him. That was pretty immature. I know he's a transfer but I could see his Dauntless-born friends explaining the custom. He did it intentionally to slight you. Don't take it too hard though. You've got someone that cares. He's taking good care of you," he explains rubbing my back.
I nod in understanding. I realize all the physical contact I've been getting is like support—a connection. It's a way to show that you care. It's for comfort, compassion, love...  The more I experience, the more I crave to have it and to give it to others.
I take another bite of my eggs and see that Eric is half finished with his plate. Ryan isn't looking so good though. "What's wrong with him?" I ask concerned.
"He has a hangover," he says and notices my confusion. "He had too much alcohol to drink last night and it's making him feel sick today."
"Why would he do that?" I question.
Eric leans over and whispers in my ear, "I promise I'll explain later. I just don't want to make him feel any worse now."
I look over to Ryan. He's got his head in his hand and he really looks like he's feeling terrible. I frown and nod at Eric.
"So, we never talked about these," I say nudging Eric and pointing to the meat.
"Oh, sorry. That's sausage and that's bacon. They're both pork. This one's a smoked meat. The other has lots of spices in it. Let me know what you think," he says.
I see him eat a piece of bacon. I'm glad I watched him because I didn't realize it's a finger food. I take a bite of mine and I can't believe it actually has a flavor like smoke, and it's delicious. I see him cut the sausage with a knife and fork. I do the same. The moment it touches my tongue, I'm kind of floored that these are from the same animal, that the manner in which it's cooked has changed the flavor to be like complete opposites. I take another bite of the sausage and finish the bacon since it's just my size.
"Do you want to try the pancake?" he asks me. I nod. He puts some butter on mine and pours something translucent-brown on top.
"What's that?" I ask.
"Maple syrup," he says. "It comes from the sap of the maple tree. It's like a natural sugar syrup—sugar and water cooked down to make a thin, sticky sauce."
I smile that he went to so much trouble to explain what it's made from. I cut a piece and take a bite. I cover my mouth in shock. "This is incredible. This is from a tree?" I ask surprised.
He smiles at me. I turn to see Max and Lydia staring at me. Lydia has her chin propped up by her fist watching me. "It's actually pretty fun watching you try new foods. I couldn't imagine eating such a simple diet. Even the everyday things here are like a delicacy for you. It makes me appreciate what I have," she explains.
"Thank you," I say.
I take a couple more bites of the pancake and even try a sip of my juice. It's delicious. It really does taste just like an orange. I observe Eric's glass and I hadn't realized he got me a half glass. I look down at my plate and notice that they're not making me feel bad for what I eat. They're not forcing me to do things I don't want to do. I don't have to clean my plate and I feel relieved.
Eric leans in and whispers, "Do you have any favorites?"
"I don't know. I think I like them all," I say.
"You finished your bacon," he points out.
"It was little," I shrug.
"So size matters?" he asks.
"I don't know. I enjoyed them all," I say.
He leans closer to me and whispers in my ear again, "I really enjoy having meals with you."
"The same here," I say meeting his eyes. We both smile at each other.
"So, are you finished or are you still a little hungry?" he asks.
I recall the feeling from earlier. I felt kind of empty and hallow. I feel better but I still am maybe half hallow. "I think I could eat some more," I tell him.
He smiles at me and sips his juice. I take some more bites of the eggs and Christina is right. They're better warmer. I think I'll eat them first next time. It's odd how I grew up on them and never really noticed that before. I continue to eat them anyway. They're actually making that hallow feeling lessen. I eat the sausage too because Dana recommended more protein. I stare at the pancake. I think I'll have a little more. It's almost too good to waste. I'll eat slowly and if my stomach starts to hurt, I'll stop. I take a bite, then another. I have another sip of my juice. I think I'll have one more bite and I'm done. I chew the last piece and Eric leans over again. "Did I do good?" he whispers.
"Huh?" I question.
He looks down at my plate. I follow his eyes and I stare. I didn't realize how much I ate. I feel my stomach and it doesn't hurt. "Are you feeling okay?" he asks.
I nod. "I can't believe I ate almost everything," I say in shock.
"Any favorites?" he says nudging me. I laugh.
"I like the pancakes. Eggs with salt are good," I add.
He smiles, "If we weren't in public I would kiss you."
I laugh again looking away, "I'm sure you would."
As the words leave my mouth, I see Four staring at me. He has a hard expression on his face.
"Ignore him. Nobody cares what he thinks. I hear the gossip going around already at the tables. They're not happy with how he behaved yesterday," Eric says.
I nod. I wish the crowd would let it go. I don't think it was a big deal but I guess Max is right. If he wasn't going to participate, he shouldn't have come. He could've waited out in the hallway for the meal to be served.
We chat a bit more and I have a few sips of juice. Eric requests that I go decide what to do for the day with Christina. I wave at her and she nods her head. "I'll be right back," I tell him.
I step down to meet with her. Will is standing beside her near the exit doors and they're holding hands.
"Hey guys. What's going on?" I say. I hug Christina, then Will.
"We're going to do some kind of morning date. He says it's a surprise and won't tell me what. You want to meet up after lunch? You know I'm always up for shopping," Christina says.
"Sure. That'll be perfect," I nod.
"See you soon," they wave.
"Have fun!" I shout as they walk out of the doors. I turn around to walk back to the leaders table when I see Tobias rushing toward me. He bumps my shoulder hard with his making me take a step back. "Ow!  What the heck, Four?" I say to him rubbing my shoulder. He keeps walking.
"Four!" I shout. It echoes through the room. I realize we're under the balcony and it must be projecting my voice.
I actually see several guards dressed for duty block the exit. "Your leader is talking to you," one of them says. Four doesn't budge. I don't want this confrontation to get worse. The faction is already angry with him.
"Four," I call normally. "I want to talk to you."
The guards cross their arms. They're not moving.
He sighs and turns around to face me. He strides over to me. I know he won't answer questions well. I need to speak simply. Give orders and correct behavior or there will be consequences. He steps too close to me towering over to intimidate. "Back up, please. You're invading my personal space," I say putting a hand up and turning my face from him.
He huffs but he does comply. I put my hand down. "I want to make some things very clear," I say calmly and I realize there isn't a sound in the cafeteria but my voice. "You are no longer my trainer. I thank you for teaching me but you are not my superior any more. I am your superior. I am not stating this to lord it over you. I'm just stating truths. You will not touch me. You will not shove or bump into me on purpose. You will no longer try to intimidate me by getting in my face. And you will not tell me what I can and cannot do. If there are any further incidents, then the five leaders will deal with you," I state pointing at the leaders table.
"Jude's out of faction, your vote counts," Max says.
"So today, I am one of the five," I say assuming that's what he means. "Can you handle this or will there be a problem?"
Four gives me a hard look. I hope he knows better than to make a scene. This could've been avoided if he didn't hurt me.
"I don't know what you want me to say," he replies.
"I understand. I'm sorry. It won't happen again," I say counting the three things I listed with my fingers.
"I understand. It won't happen again," he responds.
"Apologize Four," I say softly.
"Sorry," he replies quietly. It actually sounds like he means it.
"You're free to go," I tell him.
He turns around and leaves.
I sigh and walk back to the table. The chatter resumes. I approach my seat and sit down. "We chose well with you. Very good for never having a day of training," Max says proudly.
"Thanks," I reply.
"Are you alright?" Eric asks concerned.
"Yeah, I'm fine," I tell him.
"Let's go," Eric insists.
I stand with him and he leads me up the staircase by our table. He holds my hand as we ascend. We step off of the stairs to the platform, then into the hallway. He enters the conference room and locks the door.
"There are no cameras in here," he says. "I want to see where he hurt you." I blush in that Eric just asked me to remove my shirt. "It's this arm?" he asks. I nod. I watch as he lifts my shirt slightly from my waist on one side and pulls it along with the sleeve over my shoulder. I hold my shirt down to cover my chest with the other arm. It's red along my shoulder and my upper bicep. He gets out his phone and takes a couple of pictures. "Does it hurt?" he asks worriedly.
"The initial hit was a little painful. It was more of a shock, really," I explain. "If it was a real fight, my feet would have been planted. I could've moved or blocked it. I could have even stood my ground. I wasn't expecting that."
"I can't believe he did this," he says stroking the skin of my bare arm below the injury. He looks into my eyes concerned. I feel his hand graze my bare waist and I suck in a breath at the contact. It's nice... but also awakening a feeling I'm not quite ready for. I put my hand on his.
"Too much?" he questions softly.
I nod.
"Okay," he whispers.
He helps me pull my shirt back into place. When it's situated, he kisses me softly before staring in my eyes. "Max is right," he tells me. "You handled that well in public. Much better than I would have, actually. I know I would've lost my cool and probably hit him. I can't believe the guards stood up for you. I mean they're expected to but... I just can't believe that," he says shaking his head.
"Yeah," I whisper. Neither can I.
He sighs harshly probably clearing his mind and looks to me. "So, I get you this morning?" he questions smiling.
I smile back and nod. "Good," he whispers and he meets my lips with his in a delicate kiss.
He parts from me and I smile again. "Do you want to go?" I ask.
"I just need a couple more," he breathes before capturing my lips again. He hoists me up just like earlier and walks me back to the table seating me on the edge. He releases me and grasps my cheeks with both hands deepening the kiss. His tongue enters my mouth and I know we'll be here for a while. I don't mind though. I'm craving him, too, and he's satisfying my hunger for more.