Chapter 43 (Eric's POV)

I roll over in bed groggily. I notice the time on my clock says eight thirty. "Shoot. I overslept," I mumble to myself. I missed taking her downstairs. Is it terrible that I hope she missed the train?
I reach over to my phone charging on my nightstand. No calls. Yeah, she's probably gone. I sigh dejectedly. I pull myself out of bed and head to the bathroom. I perform my typical morning routine before walking back to my room in a towel. I pull out some jeans and a t-shirt getting dressed for the day. I grab a clean vest and put my holster back on along with tucking my phone in my pocket. I tidy up my bed, pick up my discarded clothes and towel. I decide to do a load of laundry since my hamper is full. I get that started before grabbing my keys, then my point card. I pick up Tris's old watch and stick it in one of my vest pockets before opening the door and locking up. I decide to check her apartment. Maybe she overslept. I unlock the door and I see a cup with a lip print on it next to her vitamin bottle. I step back to her bedroom anyway. I can see her empty holster left on her bed. She's gone. That news makes me incredibly despondent.
I walk out of her apartment and lock up. I take the stairs today and stride down two at a time. I enter the Pit to see it bustling with life for a Sunday morning. I make my way to the cafeteria for breakfast. I get in line and grab a stack of waffles, some scrambled eggs, several pieces of sausage, and a bowl of fruit. I see some hash browns and I get some of those, too. I get a cup of coffee while I'm here since I need something to get me through the day. I walk up to the table and slump next to Ryan.
"No Tris today?" he asks me with his mouth half full of food.
"Not today," I grumble.
"She went to church this morning," Lydia says standing up from the other side of Ryan. "She was leaving as Hale and I came in."
"How'd she look?" I ask.
"Gorgeous as ever," she shrugs. "The girl with her was really pretty, too. I've never seen her before."
"Who? Dana?" I ask surprised.
"Dana who?" she inquires curiously.
"Dana our head nurse?" I question confused.
"This was not that Dana," she tells me shaking her head.
"Are you sure? She was supposed to go with her," I insist.
"I'd never seen that girl before. Very pretty and... what's the word I'm looking for?" she says tapping her chin in thought. "Wholesome," she shrugs.
"Maybe she met someone new," I wonder aloud. She's always making new friends.
"Maybe," Lydia smiles. "Well... I'm off. See you at lunch."
I nod to her and sip my coffee. I look up to see Four staring at the empty seat beside me, then looking to the door. This seems to be his typical behavior when she's not present. I guess mine is pining for her return and stewing out of loneliness and boredom so I've got no room to criticize.
Max takes the seat beside me, sighing as he sits down. "So... I hear he came over to your place for most of an hour last night. What happened?" he asks me.
"We played twenty questions," I say shoveling my eggs in my mouth before they get cold.
"No kidding?" he laughs. "Who asked the questions, him or you?"
"I know, they took turns," Ryan snorts.
"He asked me," I say rolling my eyes. "I made him write them down. I also called him out on his stupid act. I told him he's no idiot and I'm not falling for it."
Max snorts at that. "So what'd you talk about?"
"Mostly he wanted to know what was going on, how it all happened. I told him we weren't trying to hurt him, that we're just in love," I shrug.
"Aww," Ryan mocks.
"Yeah, that's how it happens sometimes," Max agrees.
"I asked about his therapy. I encouraged him to talk about some things he's struggling with. He says he feels like he loses control sometimes when it comes to her, that he made some stupid mistakes he completely regrets," I explain.
"That's a good idea," Max agrees. "Maybe I should have her bring me a report after each session to keep tabs on him."
"It couldn't hurt," I say. "I also suggested something. I figured I'd ask Tris... if she'd be willing to go to a meeting with him—supervised by guards of course—to help him with closure."
Max sighs roughly. "That could go either way," he says. "We can ask her. Perhaps if she's willing, she could get Lara on the right path to identify the problems and work on him, though. If things don't go well, she could just be escorted out and he's stuck in the same position."
"I'll ask her when she gets back," I nod.
"Where'd she go?" he asks.
"Church," I tell him.
"That's right. Andrew was a pastor's kid. I forgot about that. No wonder he was so quiet growing up. Everything the other Dauntless around me said probably contradicted his teachings," Max says.
"How so?" I ask.
"Most of my classmates had dirty mouths and dirty minds," he admits.
I laugh awkwardly. "Yeah, my class was full of perverts and idiots. I was relieved when I got moved to the advanced classes," I say.
"Yeah, us too," he says sipping his orange juice.
"You were in advanced classes?" I ask surprised.
"I think everyone in leadership was," he says raising his eyebrow.
"Huh," I say surprised. "I don't think Four was, though."
"Like you said, I think he played dumb. He's smart, not the best vocabulary and not so great at math but he's fairly intelligent. Perhaps he was just lazy in school, not wanting the additional work of advanced classes," Max says motioning to Four's retreating form.
"Maybe," I nod in agreement. I do think he has a lazy side to him—especially when it comes to hard work. He's more obsessive, though.
I finish my breakfast and head out to the Pit. I go straight up to the watch shop. The same man is working. "Long time, no see," he laughs.
"Yeah, she loved it. I just wanted to get this one fixed up for her if I can," I say pulling it out of my pocket.
He grabs an open black box and places it in there carefully. He fills out a form. "I can take a look at it and call you about what it needs done," he offers.
"What exactly could you do?" I ask.
"Take it apart, see what the problems are. Sometimes there's loose cogs or screws, sometimes it just needs cleaning inside, sometimes parts need to be replaced," he explains.
"Why don't you take your time and do everything it needs?" I say filling out the form. I see his name tag again—Stan.
"There's a cost for each issue. The price will depend on what needs to be done," Stan tells me.
"Cost is no problem. I want it to be as good as new for her," I say signing my name.
"Can do," he grins. "Give me maybe a week or two. I'll call and let you know."
"No rush," I nod. I shake his hand. "Thanks, Stan."
"No problem. I'll be in touch," he smiles.
I leave the shop and I pass by the same jeweler. They're open so I step inside. I look over the rings but I focus on the more simple ones. "Anything in particular you're looking for?" the salesman asks.
I consider dismissing him but I decide I do need a little help. "I'm looking for something kind of simple. Cost is not an issue. I just don't think she wants something big and gaudy. She likes classy, refined, pretty things. Nothing too big or ornate," I explain.
"Does she have a preference for metal or stones?" he inquires.
"Not really, at least I'm not sure yet," I admit.
"I don't want to be a pushy salesman," he starts honestly. "But if cost isn't an issue, you could get her a few simple things like a bracelet or a necklace to see what she'd prefer. An engagement ring is something that's rarely removed but a necklace can be worn on only special occasions, or even daily depending on the style. The cross you got her is more of a daily wear but something like a golden necklace could be an elegant dinner wear."
I nod in understanding. "That helps," I tell him.
"Does she have pierced ears?" he asks.
"No," I say. I don't think she's pierced anything yet.
"I would definitely stay away from earrings then unless she does it on her own. She seems the type that would get them pierced just because you bought her expensive earrings," he advises.
I laugh and nod, "You are very observant. I bet she would. So, earrings are out."
I step over to the necklace section thinking that she might dress up on Sundays.
"I could bring a few items out to separate them from what's in the case. Everything together can be a bit overwhelming," he suggests. I notice his name tag says Julian.
"Sure," I agree. I wasn't actually planning on getting her anything but I was going to buy her something yesterday when we passed by.
He pulls out a variety of simple necklaces. He really is attempting to help me choose what she'd like instead of trying to make a big sale. He chooses some of differing shades of metal, unfolding a black velvet cloth covering the top of the case. He sets each necklace out carefully on top and I feel like I can focus on what's in front of me easier now that my attention isn't being drawn away by the glare of each surrounding item.
There's a black metal chainlink necklace. I actually like that one. It's thin and simple. There's also a rose gold necklace—very fine and delicate. It appears to have a small diamond in the center that comes down to a point. The gold necklace is in two layers—the longer one has a medallion at the tip, the other has what appears to be gold beads spread out sporadically in a pattern. There's a white gold necklace with round purple gemstones set in a pattern all the way around it. Then there's what I think is a silver chain. It has an oval-shaped green stone pendant on it.
"I like them all," I admit.
"What do you think she would?" he asks.
"She's rather indecisive," I tell him. "She usually has a few options placed in front of her and makes someone else decide."
He laughs in surprise. "She's not used to having a choice, is she?" he says.
"No," I realize he's right.
"In my opinion, she would probably appreciate anything. If you went down the hall and got her a plastic bracelet, she would love it just the same as this one," he motions to the one with the most gems.
"She'll need something to wear for our seminars in the winter. There's two weeks worth of dinners to attend," I remind myself.
"I've heard of those," he nods. "Very fancy."
"They are," I admit. I decide. "I'll take them all."
Julius coughs in surprise. "You're sure?"
"I'll definitely see what she likes," I say.
"Sir, it's just my personal opinion, but I'd space them out. I wouldn't give them to her all at once. She's a sweet, delicate sort of girl. I'd put some time between each gift. She's former Abnegation, right?"
I nod.
"She's used to no ornaments. She seemed uncomfortable in the store yesterday. I don't think she's ready for such a large gift," he advises.
"Alright," I agree. "I'll space them out but I'll still purchase them today."
"Yes, sir," he says. He begins to pack them up explaining what metals and jewels are with each. I realize by the boxes alone that they all vary in price—the black chain probably being the least expensive, the diamond being the most, and the others in between. I swipe my card and realize the total wasn't as much as I was expecting.
I take the bag and I stop at the rings once more. The same one as before stands out to me. I like it but I'm just not sure.
"I'd recommend waiting at least a month on the engagement ring. That's what Max and Jude did. Both of their wives were former Amity. The ladies needed time to figure things out. It was clear that the leaders knew right away. They were delicate girls, like yours. Very sweet and kind, loved by the faction," Julian advises me.
"Thanks. That really does help," I tell him.
"Anytime," he grins.
I step out and I'm surprised by how much information he knew. I think he's younger than Max, but I recall now that Lydia said Diane was about Max's age. That blows me away that they were probably twenty years difference in age. I see why he'd want to get married so quickly. He was waiting for her. I think I'll give her one of the less expensive-looking ones first. I don't want to scare her. I decide that I should get her a small jewelry box to keep these in. I know they came in boxes but perhaps that'll encourage her to go out and buy a little costume jewelry. Maybe I could slip them in there without her noticing.
I step into one of the costume jewelry shops and I see a selection of small jewelry boxes. A black carved wooden one with a painted orchid on it stands out the most to me. I open it to see it has room for necklaces, some rings, and a few drawers for other things. I pick it up.
As I step to the register, I see a thin clear string with pearls on it. They're beaded through the wire—almost reminding me of fishing line—and stuck at equidistant intervals. I grin and pick that one up. I see another, reminding me of the ring I was looking at. I'm sure this one is fake since it's here but it's just as pretty. I pick it up and purchase the three items.
I debate on what else to do with my time. As I head back towards home, I see a store with flashing lights catch my eye in my peripheral vision. I look to the other side of the Pit and realize it's the same store I bought my music system from. I cross at the nearest stairwell and I climb up the other side to the fifth level. I enter the store to lively dance music. I look over the stereo systems and realize the one I bought myself is the best model. I decide to get her the same. I look to music downloading options. I think I'll get her the jazz pack and big bands like I have. I see a Christian music option and I think I'll get her that, too. I decide the others—hard rock, nature sounds, and other varieties—I don't know if she'd like any of those. I buy the system and music.
I carry it up to her apartment. I set up the system on her buffet hoping this spot is okay with her. I put the jewelry box on her dresser in her bedroom. I take the two costume jewelry necklaces and put them in the box.
I decide to take the real ones and put them in my nightstand by my bed. I take the one with the green stone out. I think I'll give her this one first. I sit down on my bed and look at my clock.  She said she should be back before noon.  The train should be arriving just before then if that's the one she's catching.  I'm tempted to go down and wait by the tracks anyway since I miss her.  I decide that there's nothing to do down there, though, other than to kick rocks around.  I settle for reading a little while I wait.  About thirty minutes into in, I'm already tired of reading. 
I get up and head down to the tracks in anticipation of her arrival. I step outside, leaning against the wall and wait for a few minutes. There's a train arriving from the direction of Erudite. I peer forward to see if she's coming early. When it pulls up closer, I see a few soldiers jump off, also a group of people dressed in casual attire. They must've been zip lining by the look of their frazzled hair.
They pass by me into the Pit. The soldiers nod in greeting. I acknowledge them as they approach and step inside.
I sigh disappointedly that she won't be here for an hour. I twiddle my thumbs and look around. I notice an empty abandoned building across from the tracks. It's pretty large actually. It's made of brick but there's huge holes sporadically through it. The entranceway is wide open. It's likely it could be salvaged but with the possible decline of our population, I'm sure it's not worth looking into. Sometimes we knock things down and rebuild entirely, others can have parts easily replaced and keep the remaining structure. This one's probably the latter.
I'm going to be here for a while so I take a seat against the wall and wait. I think about how fast the train comes around here. I feel like the drivers sometimes speed up for the Dauntless thrill seekers. I know it goes so slow around Erudite that you can just walk off—the same for the schools. Everywhere else it might slow a little unless you ride to the end of the line at the fences.
I pull up some blades of grass nearby out of boredom and rip them up. I find some clover and pull the leaves off. I twirl the flower between my fingers until it breaks. I find a dandelion. One flower is in bloom. I pick it from the base of the stem and pop the head off with a flick of my thumb laughing as it flies away. I pick another up that's finished blooming—dried and full of seeds. I blow at it and the seeds scatter in the wind. I watch as they disperse past the train tracks towards the brick wall. My attention is drawn back there, to the building across the tracks. I wonder why we've never done anything with that space. It's in the center of Dauntless and has the most prime location.
I decide to get up and explore a little. I step over the two sets of train tracks, past the rocks to the grass. I cautiously walk inside the giant hole entrance. It's dark in here with things growing everywhere. I see some mold and I'm glad the doors and windows are open. I chuckle at myself and step further in. When my eyes adjust, I survey the space. It's just empty with growth and filth from being exposed to the elements for hundreds of years. The right wall appears to have gigantic wooden crates against it. I'm curious what kind of machine would have set that there—definitely something stronger than what we have in the city nowadays. I wonder what's in the crates. As I step forward, I hear the blare of a train horn approaching. I rush to the entrance and see that it's coming from the fence. I sigh sadly but I notice the speed of the train as the cars rush by and I wonder if Tris can get off safely by herself. I know that Dana is supposed to be with her but I don't like entrusting my girl's safety to someone else. It makes me uneasy and nervous. Several guards jump from the train, others jump on. I hadn't even noticed their arrival. As the train passes from sight, I see the guards enter the Pit entrance and I'm alone again waiting for the next train. I turn my attention back to the crates. I see that there's a space on top, just enough for someone to stand on but they look rickety and old as if they'd likely break from a person's weight—without a doubt from mine. I back up watching where I put my feet on this ground. I kick up some leaves and realize the ground is still solid cement—I think—and in excellent condition for its age. I turn my attention back to the space above the crates to see that there's a cinderblock wall behind them. It looks completely intact—in better shape than the outside of the building. That's weird. I step out the far side—opposite of the other entrance. It's a smaller space like a hole from a window. I see some storage buildings that we use in Dauntless nearby. Some are for deliveries, others manufacture furniture and various supplies for the stores. I'm not sure what the rest do but they're all manufacturing businesses—not homes. I walk around the outside and I realize that this section is all in good condition. There's no holes or rubble, not even a window or door. I turn around the back and see the same. I round the corner and notice it's just like the other. It's like a sealed brick box until I get to the opening again. I wonder if any of the other leaders know what's going on with this building. Maybe I'll ask Jude since he has more information about unusual things than the others.
I check my watch and see that the train should be arriving in a little while. I decide to cross the tracks so I don't miss her. I step further down into the grassier area and walk a ways down the tracks.
In the waiting, I realize how much I miss her. I don't think I can handle this every weekend—pining for her return. I want to be with her wherever she is. But do I want to go with her to Erudite? To church? I sigh and figure it wasn't so bad talking about it with her. I did feel something when we spoke about her religion. I recall it made me not as fearful of death—one of my biggest fears. The thing about comparing factions to orgies and witchcraft was kind of... unusual but I agree that the rest of the list was definitely terrible. I think those were things people shouldn't do. I decide that I truly don't want to be without her. I can't sit here every Sunday morning waiting when I could just be with her. It's not that big of a deal to just go with her. I could protect her too and that's something that I'd rather do for her. It's as simple as that—I'm going from now on.
I hear the train blaring in the distance before I see it coming into view. I run forward a little in anticipation. I start to jog in the direction towards the Pit entrance when the cars begin to pass. I get a little nervous as car after car is empty. The last car comes even with my line of sight and I see her... standing in the entrance getting ready to jump. Her eyes meet mine and she smiles. I motion for her to jump and I catch her hugging her to my chest.
I sigh in relief kissing her. "I missed you, too," she laughs wiping my lips. I see she's wearing that lipgloss again.
"I'm coming next time," I tell her.
"You are?" she laughs surprised.
"Is that okay?" I inquire.
"It's more than okay," she says happily. "Did you hear that, Dana? Eric says he's coming next Sunday."
"We're staying for lunch. Bring a dish to share," Dana laughs lightly.
I look over my shoulder to see someone tucking a blanket into a bag. She looks up at me. "Dana... Metcalf?" I say surprised.
She smiles, "Hi, Eric."
And I realize... she and our Dana in the infirmary are one in the same. "You look better without all that crap on your face," I tell her.
"Thanks for the compliment?" she questions chuckling.
"Are you coming with us to lunch?" Tris's asks Dana.
"Sure," she grins.
Tris motions me to put her down. I hadn't realized I'd been holding her this whole time. I set her down gently. She takes off a scarf from around her hair and quickly tucks it into her purse. Her hair looks beautiful. She grasps my hand and I lead her to the stairs. "I think I'm good," Tris tells me about the stairs.
"You sure?" I ask.
"Yeah, I've been up and down stairs a few times today. I'm fine," she insists walking ahead. She does well but I follow her closely just in case. We get to the main floor and I reach for her hand again.
"So... what are you planning on bringing to the pot luck?" Tris asks Dana.
"I don't know. I've brought bread and desserts in the past. I would like to actually make a meal in my crockpot but there's no way I could bring that on the train," Dana replies.
"Why don't I drive?" I offer.
Dana looks at me surprised. "You have a vehicle?" she questions.
"I'm a leader. I have several," I tell her.
"Alright," she says. "I'll probably make some barbecued pork or something and bring buns. That's usually good for a crowd. My grandma had the best recipe. What were you thinking, Tris?"
"I promised my dad I'd bring him some Dauntless cake. I should probably bring more than one. How much room do we have?" she asks me.
"We're going to Amity this week. You can see the trunk space for yourself. I'm also going to teach you to drive," I tell her.
"Okay," she says surprised. "So what'd you do this morning?"
"I went shopping and read a little," I say. I don't tell her that I was pretty much just thinking about her the whole time and waiting for her to come home.
She smiles at me. We enter the cafeteria and I let Tris go first with Dana. I see there's chef's salads and rolls. I grab one of each—a larger portion than the girls. There's two choices of soup—chicken with rice and French onion.
"Which soup do you like, Eric?" Tris asks me.
"They're both good," I tell her. "But I think I'm getting the chicken today."
She dishes out a small cup of that for herself before grabbing a large bowl and filling it for me. "Thank you," I say kissing her head.
"You're welcome," she responds stepping away.
I get a couple packages of crackers in case she'd like them, too. I get a fruit juice and see them hugging goodbye. Tris really is sweet. She's always making new friends.
I walk her to the table and we sit down. Tris sits beside Lydia. Nobody else is here yet.
"So, how'd it go?" Lydia asks Tris.
"Good. I had fun. I saw my dad and grandparents. I'm apparently the midget of the family," she laughs.
Lydia does, too. "Yeah, you and me both.  So how'd it go seeing your dad?" Lydia asks specifically.
"It was nice. I was a little worried at first since he never came for Visiting Day. It's funny though... I always thought public affection was strange but yet I never realized how affectionate my parents were towards Caleb and me. It never really clicked until today. It's like that didn't count in my mind," she says.
"That actually sounds nice," Lydia responds quietly.
Jude comes up and sits beside me. "Where've you been all day?" Lydia asks him.
"It's funny how nobody has asked me that for the last year," Jude comments starting on his soup.
"Now you're just dragging it out," Lydia laughs. "Have you seriously been missing every Sunday morning breakfast for the last year and I haven't noticed until today?"
"Pretty much," Jude nods. He takes a bite of his roll.
"The suspense is killing me," Lydia continues from around the two of us.
"I'm actually curious, too. I hadn't been keeping tabs on you," I admit.
"I think Max is the only one who noticed. It took one Sunday of me not showing up to have him hounding me at lunch. That was after last year's initiation," Jude says. We all look to him expectantly. He sighs. "I was in Candor."
"Doing what on a Sunday morning?" Lydia persists.
"I've been attending church services there," he says. "Tris's Candor friend and the new aide accompanied me this time. I usually go by myself."
"Aww, Christina did go?" Tris coos.
"Sweet girl. Her boyfriend is pretty nice, too. They're very entertaining," Jude tells us.
"That one's more casual, right?" Tris asks.
"The dress code is casual to dressy. Anything is really acceptable. Although, I usually wear something nice. It just feels wrong to show up too casual," he says. I notice he's wearing some dress pants with a nice shirt.
"I've been there once when I was little. It was a special service and I was only five. I was a little scared though," Tris explains.
"Why's that?" Jude inquires.
"It was like a prayer and worship service. It was very casual—jeans and t-shirts. I still wore my nice church dress, though. Anyway, people were falling on the ground. I was a little freaked out. People were speaking other languages, too. I was five so I didn't understand what was going on at the time," she explains.
"Now you've got me a little freaked out," I admit. That sounds weird.
"Yeah, they do that sometimes. It's like the church in Acts," Jude nods.
"What are you guys talking about?" Lydia questions. She's just as perplexed as I am.
"How do I explain this?" Tris says biting her cheek. "When someone has an unusual encounter with God, on occasion they may almost pass out. Sometimes people can shake. The other languages are like a prayer language. God is giving them words and they're repeating them.  It's called speaking in tongues.  My dad had to explain it to me afterward."
I suddenly remember my labored breathing last week, the two times we discussed her church stuff. I don't think that was all me. I felt like a presence there and I guess I can understand a little about being overcome with something like that. I realize that maybe there is more to this church stuff than just a get together. Maybe it is real... I guess I'll find out for myself when we go next week.
A thought occurs to me, though. "What's the dress code for your church?" I ask Tris.
"Dressy," she shrugs.
"Like what do men wear?" I inquire. She looks really nice—formal almost. I honestly can't believe she and Dana went on the dirty train in what they're wearing.
"Men?" she questions biting her cheek again. "Well... what would you consider dress clothes for men?"
"It varies. A nice buttoned down shirt, dress pants, a polo shirt like I wore the other day... those are kind of dress-casual though. What did your father wear?" I inquire.
"A suit," she says.
"They make those in Abnegation?" I question.
"Andrew wears them to the seminars," Jude chimes in.
"I hadn't noticed," I admit. "How about your grandfather?"
"A suit. He wore his robe over it for the service but took it off to greet everyone afterward," she tells me.
"Well, I guess we're going shopping," I reply.
"I thought you had a suit," Tris questions.
"I have one for summer. I have several for winter at the seminars," I explain.
"What are the winter ones like?" she asks.
"Wool," I tell her.
"Oh," she says making a face. "Yeah, those will likely be too warm for this time of year. That's probably like me having one dress, too," she nods.
"You want to help me pick some out?" I ask.
"Sure. You do look pretty nice in a suit," she grins up at me. I can't help but kiss her.
"You look beautiful, by the way," I whisper.
"Thank you," she says softly. She looks at me biting her lip.
"What is it?" I ask trying not to smile at the expression she gives me.
"I'm imagining you in a suit," she laughs blushing.
I chuckle and look shyly at her. She kisses me this time. 
"Man, you two don't even need the faction to cheer to get you going," Ryan laughs sitting down beside Jude.  "Hey there old man.  I missed you at breakfast."
Jude snorts, "Somehow everyone noticed today."
"Where were you anyway?" Ryan asks. 
"Church in Candor," Jude responds quickly. 
"Hm, I didn't know you went there," Ryan replies.  We all remain quiet eating our lunch.  "So... who's the pretty girl at the table by the line exit?"
"That's Dana," Tris says. 
"Dana who?" he asks. 
Tris sighs, "So... how do I explain this?  Apparently, she was like me before—afraid of leadership.  You guys even met with you know who during my initiation so I can see why she'd be freaked out.  She knew Eric and was afraid of being caught here in Dauntless so she dressed like someone else to avoid detection."
Ryan leans over the table.  "How does that tell me who Dana is?" he questions confused. 
"You know Dana," I tell him. 
He blinks in surprise.  "Dana?  Like Dana from the infirmary?"
"That's the one," I nod. 
"Wait, that's Dana?" Lydia questions.  "Why was she afraid of us?"
"Because of Jeanine," Tris says softly.  "She had a boyfriend that disappeared during his initiation.  She never saw him again.  The next year she came here to get out of her grasp."
"Oh, crap," I say worriedly.  "So, she has found some."
"It would appear so," Tris says dejectedly. 
"How do we stop this?" I think. 
"I don't know," Tris replies.  "Maybe when we meet with Abnegation, they can help us come up with something."  I hadn't realized I spoke but her suggestion could work.  It definitely couldn't hurt. 
I eat more of my food when I recall the brick building outside. "Hey, Jude?" I ask.
He hums a reply.
"You know the brick building outside where we catch the train?" I inquire.
He turns fully to me like I've said something forbidden. "I'm familiar with it," he nods.
"Do you know anything about that?" I ask.
"I know everything about that," he replies cryptically. It's almost as if he knows exactly what I'm asking before I voice it. "We can talk about it sometime. Come over tonight after you put your girl to bed and we'll talk."
"Alright," I nod.
"Not too late, though. I am getting old," he says motioning to Ryan.
I chuckle. "I'll be there," I nod.