Chapter 18 (Eric's POV)

We're off to lunch together. We made out quite a bit before going out, not too roughly since we looked like amateurs to Hale and Lydia. I didn't scratch her up with my stubble this time either or put too much pressure into it. We were inside with the door closed this time, though. I can't believe I did that. I guess I got carried away in the moment. I really can't believe she's mine. I can't believe how amazing she is. I think in some instances she's more intelligent than me. The subject matter she spoke on was actually pretty impressive. She was speaking of asphyxiation. That really sounds like a horrible way to die, and to be tortured first... I think something like that might show up in my next fear sim.
As we walk side by side down our hallway, I feel surprised in hindsight by that whole experience earlier on her religious explanation. It was like she had an answer for every one of my questions about it. I've never heard anything like that before. It feels kind of magical and mysterious but yet kind of wonderful and almost unbelievingly amazing as well. I'm not saying she has me convinced. I'm just incredibly curious, especially since she said it's a historical book. There isn't much about the history of the past within our city. I find it surprising that our founders let this in but no others. When I think about it though, her religion teaches a clear moral law. Love. No murder. No theft. Don't lie. Don't envy...
I remember Jeanine telling me something about the church and factions. I recall her saying that she learned that there's something in there about how the faction system was condemned. Plus, the love and don't murder thing is not what she's about at all. She prefers to be in control...  I guess, now that I think about it, maybe power is her god. She just doesn't realize it yet.
We arrive at the cafeteria and get in line. We're having sandwiches again but this time there's chicken salad and tuna. I explain the options to Tris.
"Tuna? Like fish?" she asks. I nod. "Do you like it?"
"It's okay. I do like fish but I prefer it whole and fresh. This is from a can, shredded and mixed with mayonnaise. I personally prefer the chicken salad. It's made the same way though," I explain.
I see her eyeing the tuna. She wants it. "How about you get this half a tuna sandwich? I'll get a whole chicken sandwich. If you don't like it, I'll eat it and give you half of mine."
"Okay," she easily agrees.
I grab her a small salad, the large one for me. I select a variety of dressings so she can pick what she wants. There's some rolls and I think she likes bread so I put some on each of our trays. There are some hard boiled eggs, too, and she seemed to like her breakfast so I get us some. We get over to the drink section and I see they have iced tea and lemonade.
"You you want to try one of these?" I ask. I explain what each is and what they're made of.
"I don't know which one. You choose," she insists. I know she'll just pick the closest one to her so I decide. We're getting one of each and she can try both. I'll take whatever she doesn't want.
"Come on. Let's go sit down," I say.
I see her waving to her friends. They all acknowledge her. I notice Four isn't present yet. I hope he doesn't show up.
We take our seats and it looks like Ryan is out of the funk he was in this morning. "How're you doing?" I ask.
"Better. The coffee helped. For some reason, I remember Four last night and Hale. What's that all about?" he asks. I briefly explain what happened and he's laughing that he pissed him off so much.
I turn back to Tris. She hasn't started yet. "Are you waiting on me?" I tease.
"No," she says exaggeratedly. I laugh.
I decide to cut my sandwich in half just in case. I watch her take the first bite and I can't help but sit back and watch her enjoy it. "I see what Lydia was saying," I comment.
"Right? It's tuna fish! It's like the most ordinary thing," Lydia responds from down the table.
"Abnegation don't eat fish," Jude says from beside her.
"Really? Why not?" Ryan asks.
"Self-indulgent. It's a more expensive protein. They do it to be nice," Tris explains between bites.
"Do you want to try your salad?" I ask.
"Is that what that is?" she asks me.
I want to question how she doesn't even know what a salad is but then I remember she didn't know sandwich yesterday. I meet her eyes to see she's staring at me. "I recognize some of the items in it but I've never had them together like this," she says. I furrow my brows. "I can read you like a book."
I laugh.
"Aww, so sweet," Lydia teases.
"Okay, so try these dressings but only a little. Take whichever one you like," I say.
I see her stick her spoon in one and taste it. "This is really flavorful. Kind of strong though," she comments. I push the next one towards her. "That one's good, too."
"Can't decide?" I tease.
"Fine," she says jokingly snatching a cup. "I'll take the closer one."
I'm chuckling at this point and I notice several people nearby are looking up in surprise but I don't care.
"I've never seen you so happy," Ryan teases.
"Yeah, yeah," I wave him off and start on my food. I notice Tris looking around for something. I forgot I put the drinks on my tray. I place both of them before her. "Try them both," I insist.
"Are you really going to drink them after me?" she asks.
I lean forward and whisper in her ear. "Sweetheart, my tongue has been in your mouth. I don't mind sharing drinks," I say seductively. I back up to see her blushing but she's laughing.
"I didn't even think of that. Sorry," she says.
I smirk at her.
"Besides, it's not the first time," I point out.
"That was a good day, or at least the parts with you," she says.
"It was," I agree grinning. I look up to see Four staring at us. I guess he showed up. He's giving me what Tris calls the stink eye. I sit back and don't break his stare. He's the first to look away. Yeah, I thought so. As soon as she gets up, I'm talking with Max.
I change my expression and look to my sweetheart. "Did you decide?" I ask.
"I like this one better," she says. "What is it?"
"Lemonade. Don't worry about it being too big. If you don't finish it, I will," I say.
"Oh, did you want it?" she asks offering it to me.
"What I want is for you to enjoy it," I tell her.
She smiles at me and takes a drink. She sets it down and continues to stare in my eyes.
"Ah, so what'd I miss?" Max says sitting down next to Ryan. I'm glad he's here so I won't have to call him.
"Well, these two have been making goo goo eyes at each other the whole time," he whispers for only us to hear.
"Good, good," Max says and I laugh at that. It sounds like they're talking business.
"Tris has never had fish because... Abnegation and I found out I taunted Four last night while I was drunk," Ryan laughs.
"I saw," Max says.
"Were you there?" Ryan questions. Max shakes his head. "Oh, it's one of those kinds of viewings."
"Yup," Max says popping the last sound. He's pissed. I can't wait to hear what he has to tell me.
I decide to turn to Tris and devote what little time I have to her.
"So, you like the tuna, huh?" I ask since it's gone. 
"Yeah, I'll definitely get that again," she says. 
"Do you want to try a bite of mine?" I offer. 
I notice her bite her cheek.  I push my plate closer to her and she reaches for the half I left. 
She takes the first bite and I think she likes this one better.  "You have good taste.  I think I'd get half of each next time," she says. 
I raise my eyebrows at that.  "Well, sweetheart if you're so hungry you can finish mine," I insist. 
"Aren't you still hungry?  I don't want to take your food.  You said you have an enormous appetite," she says worriedly. 
"I'm staying after you leave with Christina.  I can get another sandwich," I insist. 
"You sure," she questions.  I can tell that she wants it but she doesn't want to be rude. 
"Oh yeah," I nod closing me eyes for emphasis. 
"If you say so," she says taking another bite.
I elbow Ryan to get Max's attention.  "She's eating a whole sandwich," I whisper quietly. 
He passes it on.  Max leans forward to see her but he's smiling. 
"So, Eric?" Tris asks me. 
"Hmm?" I hum a reply. 
"What should I wear for training in the office?" she inquires. 
"Whatever you want," Max says down the table. 
"Really?" she asks surprised.  "We don't dress up in the offices."
"You can wear dressy attire if you're so inclined but jeans and a T-shirt is fine, too," he says. 
"Anywhere in between also," Lydia adds. 
"We really don't have to dress up?" she whispers to me. 
"We've had meetings before where Max was shirtless," I divulge.
"Really?" she laughs.  Now she's peeking around the table at him. 
"What?" he asks defensively.  "I just worked out."
"And stunk," Lydia adds. 
"He didn't shower," Ryan adds. 
"It was an emergency meeting," Max says. 
"You should keep a spare shirt in your file cabinet with a note that says use in case of emergency," Ryan says and the whole table is laughing at that. 
When we all finally calm down and I wipe a tear from my eye, I turn back to Tris. 
"Wear whatever you feel comfortable in.  If you want to dress up sometimes, get that.  If you want to wear what you have on, that's fine, too," I explain.  She nods.  "How's your workout clothes and shoes?  Are they worn out or still good?"
"I could probably use some new shoes actually.  The clothes, I could get some more," she replies. 
"Okay.  You all done?" I ask. 
"What's going on with this egg?" she asks. 
"Oh, I forgot.  Have you had a hard boiled egg before?" I ask. 
She shakes her head no.  I grab hers and crack it.  I show her how to peel it and let her finish while I peel mine.  She looks to me expectantly.  I grab the salt shaker and put some on for her and myself.  I take a bite and she follows. 
"This is so good," she mumbles around the bite covering her mouth. 
I grin at her.  Yeah, she's adorable. 
She eats most of it.  "I think I'm full," she says holding her stomach. 
"It doesn't hurt, does it?" I ask concerned. 
"No," she says surprised.  "I think I'm good."
"Okay," I say calmly but I'm relieved. 
"I'm going out," she says. 
"Stay with Christina.  She knows but make sure you remind her.  If you get tired, go back to her place or take her to yours.  If there's an emergency, find a guard.  They're stationed all over the Pit," I explain. 
She nods her head, "I saw."
"Okay.  Have fun, oh and Tris?" I say as she stands. 
"Yeah?" she smiles. 
"Do you mind if I steal back that book you borrowed while you're gone?" I ask. 
Her smile grows, "You have the key."  I nod.  "Will you be home then if we finish before dinner?" she questions. 
"I should be.  I just have to ask Lydia and Max a couple things," I say. 
"Maybe I'll see you around," she grins waving. 
I watch her walk away.  I see Christina get up and join her.  They both wave to us and I nod before they exit the door.  A moment later I see Four get up and follow them out.  I sit up abruptly moving to stand. 
"Sit down," Max says putting a hand to my shoulder.  He takes Tris's vacated seat.  "He's being monitored and I was having her followed by two guards for her protection.  They have orders that if Four does what he just did, to follow him instead."
"Thanks," I say appreciatively. 
"Just doing my job," he sighs harshly.  I know that expression on his face.  He feels betrayed. 
"So, what happened?" I ask. 
"He followed you both this morning," he admits. 
"When you both went to your building, he was trying to get into the control room," he tells me.  I sigh harshly at that.  "The only reason he didn't come in was because he heard my voice.  I started talking to Chris when he arrived at the hallway outside of the control room.  I just made up a story.  Oh, just checking up on things.  How's the wife, yada yada...  He backed up immediately and left out the stairwell.  He was lounging in the Pit waiting for you two to exit your elevator for lunch."
I sigh harshly.  "So, what's the plan for tomorrow?"
"Have her do some paperwork in her office—introduction stuff.  I'll show you everything in the morning. We'll all meet in the conference room with him.  I'm having Chris keep an eye on him tonight, then see if he's looked into anything he shouldn't have in the morning.  He'll report for his normal shift and guards will escort him to the conference room when we're ready.  Chris will do another run through with Four's login to see if he was messing around during work and call it into us," he explains. 
I nod.  That's what I expected.  "So, what about now?" I ask. 
"I'm going back up there.  He's just been watching her from a distance.  But this time you're not there.  They're not going back to the home section, are they?" he asks. 
"Clothes and shoes, girly things.  She met some girl at the home store and wants a bag or for her friend," I shrug. 
"Girl stuff.  Good.  We have all of those stores positioned strategically.  They're in the busiest areas.  The home store is generally for families and newbies.  It's expensive but less traveled," he explains. 
"I didn't know that.  That's insanely clever," I point out. 
"Yeah, whoever from the founders that set that up had some good ideas," he agrees. 
"Or it could just be the busiest because girls like to shop.  Safety in numbers is just an added bonus," I joke. 
He chuckles.  "Alright.  I'm heading back up there."
"Should I come?" I ask. 
"If you want.  I'll definitely call you if something happens.  You could also check it out and see that creepy Four is boring, just creepy," he says. He stands and pats me on the back before leaving.
"So..." Lydia says grinning and sliding over next to me. I raise one eyebrow and look to her expectantly. "How's everything going in the love department?" she whispers quietly.
I can't even keep a neutral face and I grin.
"That good, huh?" she asks.
"Definitely the best two days of my life," I say.
"Hmm," she says. "So are we going to be hearing wedding bells in the future?" she teases.
"That's my plan," I nod.
"Really?" she sits up and slaps her hand on the table in shock. "I was just messing with you. Are you serious?"
"Leave the boy alone," Jude chimes in. "When you meet the one you want, you don't need more than one second to decide."
Lydia looks sad, frowning. "I miss her," she says softly.
"We all do," Ryan adds.
I nod. I know what they're all going through. I look to Jude and he just remains quiet, calm. I don't understand. He was struggling last year but the last few weeks before she was gone, he seemed... not upset. He said Diane was the love of his life. I thought he'd still be mourning her, at least a little.
"Alright. The big guy is calling me," Lydia says picking up her tray.
"Wait," I say abruptly. "What are the times?"
"Oh? You really don't know," she says. She takes a pen out of her vest pocket and grabs a clean napkin. She writes out a list of times. "Exactly at each time. It lasts for a full minute and moves on."
"How do you know this?" I ask.
"Because I used to work in the control room before I got promoted," she says winking.
"Wait," I say stopping her from leaving. "A person can memorize the times the cameras shift the feed on the monitors?"
"Well, yeah. It's such a boring job and things rarely happen. What else are you supposed to do staring an empty screen for years?"
I nod, "See you later."
Lydia blows me a kiss and waves. I see her run up to Hale and he bends down to kiss her. I wonder if that's what I look like in comparison to Tris. He has a bit more muscle than me but I think he's only like half an inch taller. I don't mind about Tris's height. If she doesn't grow more, it's not a big deal. I think she's really hoping for it though.