Chapter 69

Eric and I leave breakfast late Saturday morning since we slept in. I even see my mom stop by for the leftover collection and I can't help but step in and greet her.
"Mom?" I call out. She turns from directing the Abnegation staff I don't recognize—some appearing close to my age, perhaps the new members.
She sees me and gasps in surprise. "Is that my baby?" she says teasingly. She comes over and hugs me.
I laugh in surprise at her tight embrace. "Look at you. Are you taller than me now?" she jokes taking me at arm's length. I guffaw at that but we might actually be close in height... as I look her over, she may be right. "You look incredible, so healthy and strong."
I smile in reply.
"How do you feel?" she asks.
"Good," I respond. "I'm a little awkward but I'm getting used to it."
"I'm so glad," she tells me earnestly.
"So, am I," I agree.
"I'll see you tomorrow, right?" she confirms.
"Of course," I nod.
"Are we still on for the ceremony at the Metcalf's?" she asks Eric parting from me to hug him.
"Absolutely... if Tris is still willing," he nods.
I smile at that remembering what we're doing tomorrow. I nod my assent.
"It'll be a barbecue. Bring something to share.  The sign up sheet on Sunday had the meat and side dishes taken care of.  You could bring bread or dessert," she suggests.
"Okay," I respond softly grinning.
"See you soon," she whispers separating from us.
"Bye, Mom," I wave as Eric escorts me out of the staff entrance doors.
Someone passes by us heading into the line entrance doors. I swear I just met eyes with Peter Hayes and keep going. We walk out of the cafeteria doors down the hallway. I hear footsteps approaching us quickly and it is him chasing after us.
"No way," he says demandingly walking backwards beside us.
"What do you want, Peter?" Eric asks tiredly putting his arm around my shoulder and pulling me closer to his side.
"Tris?" he asks me almost confused—befuddled even. He turns around and matches his stride with ours through the Pit.
"Hi, Peter," I sigh rolling my eyes at him.
"It is you," he says convinced. "What happened?"
"As Uriah put it, I grew up," I reply as we continue to walk. He's gaping at me and keeping up with us.
"Your treatment?" he questions in disbelief.
"Uh huh," I nod. "You're going to miss your breakfast," I point out.
He looks to be debating on leaving or staying.
"See you later," Eric says making the decision for him and walking a bit faster.
I chuckle as we leave him behind.
"He's gone," Eric confirms looking over his shoulder and slowing down again.
"Where to?" I ask him. He said he made plans today.
"This way," he directs me to a nearby residential building.
"Are we going to Christina's?" I ask surprised.
He smirks in reply. We stride down her hallway which isn't too far from the main area of the Pit. He knocks on her door.
"Just a minute," she calls out from inside.
She opens the door a moment later grinning. "I just got off the phone with him. He's on his way," she says letting us in.
"Who? Will?" I ask.
She hums a reply.
We take a seat on her sofa. Her UV lamp is on.
"Just getting my rays," she teases sitting in the chair beside the lamp. I grin at that.
"So... what's the plan?" I inquire.
"Shopping and lunch," she smiles.
"Oh," I nod. I recall a conversation about soup for lunch and nobody was interested. "Is the soup as bad as the meatloaf?" I inquire.
Eric snorts in laughter beside me. Christina chuckles, too.
"What'd I miss?" I ask completely confused.
"It's cabbage soup or bean soup," Christina explains.
"I've never had either," I tell her.
"Have you ever had cabbage or beans before?" she questions.
"Not that I can recall," I shake my head.
Christina laughs and shares a look with Eric.  "Do you want to explain?" she asks him. 
I look to Eric to see him shaking his head grinning. 
"We'll make Will do it," she nods. 
"I like this plan," Eric agrees chuckling. 
There's a knock on the door and Chris rises to answer.  Will steps in greeting her with a kiss. 
"Oh good, you're here.  I've got something for you," Will says to me. 
"For me?" I laugh lightly. 
He nods and steps forward with a newspaper.  I take it from his hand.  It's folded so I can see the gossip column about me.  There are two photos of Eric and me side by side.  In the first, I'm standing upright with him behind me.  He has his arms wrapped around me.  I look so content... and tall beside him.  The next is him kissing my cheek and me laughing.  I appear so happy.  I smile at that and read on.  It mentions my treatment, that I've been receiving hormone shots for my deficiencies and growth.  He explains that my most recent treatment at the hospital worked so well that I've had an enormous growth spurt.  He quotes me on my recovery time: "I've been recovering for almost a week.  Eric and I stayed at his cottage in Amity since I was too weak to handle going around Dauntless.  I mostly slept the whole time while Eric cooked for me and cared for me.  I love him so much and I appreciate everything he's always done for me.  I think of him like he's a part of my family.  He has the kindest heart that no one else gets to see.  I'm privileged that I get this glimpse of how wonderful he really is."
I smile and look to Will. 
"What do you think?" he asks with a shrug. 
"I love it.  Let's see what Eric thinks," I say passing it over to him. 
He smirks and takes it from me.  He grins at the pictures and I can see him reading on.  His smile falters as he continues.  His eyes meet mine and he looks touched.  He reaches for my hand and pulls me onto his lap.  He kisses me softly. 
"I think he likes it, Will," I tell him as Eric hugs me. 
"I'd have to agree," he replies and I can hear the smile in his voice. 
Christina whispers something into Will's ear and he nods. 
"Oh... how to explain..." he says to himself mulling the thought over.  "The soups frequently cause flatulence."
I explode in awkward laughter at that.  "Okay, I see why nobody wants to eat that for lunch," I chuckle. 
"Yeah, could you imagine the whole faction with that?" Christina nods.  "That was my first thought."
We all break out in a fit of giggles.