Chapter 51

So far, Wednesday flew by in a rush.  Eric and I exercised extensively this morning.  After we returned from our jog together, we met up with Max in the training room and joined in on his workout.  I was definitely pushing myself harder than usual today, so much so that I used that recovery blend on top of my pain pills.  I even had an enormous appetite compared to normal at lunchtime. 
All of leadership is currently walking up the staircase in the Pit to meet Abnegation.  We're a little early for the meeting but we're in faction so it shouldn't matter. 
I see my mother, father, Marcus Eaton, Robert Black, and George Greenhouse—the former head of Abnegation before Tobias's father was appointed. They're standing by the elevator waiting for it to arrive.
"Mom," I shout waving.
They all look to me. My parents are smiling but the others give me grim expressions. I know it's rude in Abnegation to raise your voice but they're in my faction now and it's considered friendly to call out to your guests here.
"Oh, Dauntless. We're happy to meet you here," Robert Black greets us.
We all nod to welcome them. 
"Thanks for joining us today," Jude replies. "Why don't we send the young ones up the stairs while we take the elevator up together?"
Ryan, Lydia, and Max have already disappeared up the staircase as he finishes speaking.  It looks like the Abnegation want to protest but Jude ushers them in. I join them.
"Not one of the young ones?" my mom teases as Jude selects the floor and the doors close. We ascend to the offices.
"I've done enough stairs today... and squats for that matter. Remind me next time to just train with you," I say to Eric. "My legs are killing me."
My dad looks worried.
"I'm fine," I tell him. "Just sore."
"That recovery drink should kick in within the next hour," Eric says.
"Are you feeling it?" I ask him.
"Heck yeah. Max had me lifting what he does. He goes easy on you," Eric teases. The doors open to the office level. I can instantly hear quiet chatter about Abnegation leadership being with us.
"How much weight did you lift?" Marcus Eaton asks curiously as we file out of the elevator.
"I don't know. Max was the one stacking the weights for me today. I usually bench press around 400 pounds but it was more than that this morning," Eric says.
"I did one hundred today," I add.
"And yet you don't even weigh that much," Eric mumbles.
"How much do you weigh?" my mom asks worriedly.
I look to Eric.
"She was 90 pounds the first time she was weighed. She gained two pounds that first weekend and..." Eric tells her but he picks me up.
"Whoa," I say in surprise. "You've got to warn me when you're going to do that," I laugh.
Eric grins. "I'd say maybe 95 or 96," he decides as he sets me down. "She's put on some muscle which weighs less than fat, not that she has an ounce on her body or anything."
"That's a relief," my mom says. "I'm so glad you're eating now."
"You all should've joined us for lunch," I smile.
"That's very kind of you," Mr Greenhouse says.
"Perhaps if the meeting runs long, you can join us for dinner," Jude invites them while opening the door to the conference room. I can see the rest of leadership arrive on our floor from the stairwell. We all step in.
"Thanks for the offer but we'd hate to impose," my dad responds.
"We always have plenty. So it's no imposition at all," Jude says.
Dauntless sits on one side while Abnegation sits on the other. Before I sit down, my mother surprises me with a hug. It feels like the non-family Abnegation look away out of discomfort or just to not lecture one of their members about public affection.
"I've missed you so much," she whispers.
I laugh, "It's been two days."
"I know... but I still miss you," she says.
"I've missed you, too," I tell her hugging her back.
The others enter the room, followed by Wendy and Will. They set several choices of beverages on the buffet along the wall. They also bring in a tray of food and snacks—similar to something Eric would've selected. Wendy offers everyone drinks. She and Will both pour. Abnegation all take water, emptying the pitcher while Dauntless takes a variety from the options. Will goes to refill the water pitcher while Wendy hands me my lemonade and Eric's half lemonade with half tea.
"Thanks, Wendy," Eric says. She nods and the two aids leave, shutting the door behind them.
"Dauntless again would like to welcome the Abnegation leadership and thank you for joining us," Jude says. We all pound the table in affirmation. My parents smile proudly at me and they all nod. "We have a few things to discuss with you before we get started." Jude explains the issue with the newspapers, how he took the case of ours to Jack Kang yesterday, the reaction between him and Erudite. He sets several copies of the newspaper onto the table and I share it with Eric. I read the retraction quickly. It just states that they may have made a mistake with the article about the Priors and there will be further investigation into the matter. Erudite apologizes for any inconvenience.
Eric snorts beside me. "That's the first apology I've ever heard Jeanine make and it's pretty pathetic," he says.
"It's better than nothing," my dad replies. "I'll take it."
Jude continues, elaborating on the attempted breaches yesterday. "There have been no further attempts since and our team is keeping a constant watch for us but it was Erudite," he says.
Abnegation all nods in understanding.
"We also would like to bring up a sensitive subject relating to past unlawful entry from Erudite," Jude says. He explains how our system was under frequent intrusion until now, how we're unsure if Egan had given Erudite permission or just looked the other way. He explains about Dauntless initiation and the fear serum stages. He says they are just fears but there is one that's alarming and was clearly viewed by Jeanine Matthews. He explains how she came here and looked over the initiate's fear simulations during their initiation along with the instructor, then the instructor ended up dead that same week. "That particular initiate who's currently a member is Four, also known as Tobias Eaton," Jude explains.
Marcus looks surprised. "So... what you're saying is... that Tobias had something in his mind that Jeanine had seen... and that's what she's published in the newspapers?" he questions slowly.
"That's exactly what we're saying," Max nods. "We were unaware until recently but it would appear that Jeanine viewed it, must've suspected Divergence on his part, didn't like what she saw, and tested him to be sure but she published papers relating to his fear simulations."
"What exactly was in that fear recording?" my dad asks. 
"We have it to view," Max says.  "We honestly are only bringing this up because we've all seen it."
"Wait... even Beatrice?" my mom asks. 
"I've actually been through it with him," I say softly while rubbing my arm, feeling the ghost of the belt hitting my skin.
"You went through it with him?" my dad questions confused.  I nod. 
"Sometimes couples go through their fears together.  My boyfriend and I have done it," Lydia shrugs. 
"Boyfriend?" Marcus asks looking to me surprised. 
"Your son actually took her in while she was still in training.  He initiated a relationship with Tris during that time.  It's actually against the rules since he was her instructor and he has since been reprimanded. He has received a demotion among other things for the infractions," Eric explains. 
"I'm fairly curious about this," my mom says. 
Max takes what I'm assuming is Four's file and slides it across the table to her.  Abnegation opens it.  It's mostly my parents and Marcus Eaton that look it over, although the other two glance at it. 
"He was stalking you?" Marcus Eaton questions me worriedly. 
"I think he just wanted to talk to me and was waiting for a moment to get me alone.  I think he just approached it poorly. He's in counseling now to receive assistance with everything.  He just needs some issues resolved is all," I tell him gently. 
He nods in understanding. 
"This is a bit disturbing but we're glad it's being resolved," my dad says looking at me concerned, then Marcus.  "But about the Erudite articles, what exactly did they see that they're calling Marcus cruel and more recently accusing me of misconduct with my children?"
"We have the recording of his fear we can show you," Jude responds. "It's quite disturbing and it's understandable why Erudite couldn't keep what they saw to themselves.  It's also the very reason why we've broached the subject.  We're all expecting for something to slip under that serum," he tells them motioning to the box set between my parents. 
"Let's view it, then," Robert Black responds. 
"Keep in mind it is only a fear, in Tobias's head," Max reiterates but he looks to Marcus when he says it.  Mr Eaton actually appears a bit worried. 
Max motions to Eric to play it since we're closest to the projector. He rises and presses play. 
They all view the recording and I watch my parents expressions. They both appear horrified so it's obvious that they have had no idea what went on in the Eaton home. Both Mr Black and Greenhouse look surprised and deeply concerned. Marcus strikes me as being appalled as well and oddly, completely bewildered.
When the recording commences, Mr Eaton is the first to speak up. "That's just a fantasy in his head, right?" Marcus questions.
"We have a way to find out," Jude says motioning to the box in Abnegation's possession.
"I don't agree to this," Marcus insists.
"You want us to trust you, but you refuse to trust us," Eric says calmly, wisely.
My dad and Robert Black both lean over to talk with Marcus. Mr Eaton continues to shake his head.
"We could call your son up here..." Max offers. "...and have him use it. He won't have a choice, though. We're giving you the option."
"You would force this upon him?" my mother asks concerned.
"We would," Jude nods in agreement.
"He would possibly testify without coercion," I mumble.
"What's that, sweetheart?" Eric asks me.
"I said," I sigh. "That if Four was aware of us meeting with Abnegation and since this is somewhat private, he may agree to questioning. I'm not absolutely certain but he once trusted me enough to reveal this to me. I think if he knew something might actually be done—and not a spectacle for the entire city—he might agree to do this willingly."
"We could do that," my dad nods. He looks to the others.
"What do you say, Marcus?" Mr Greenhouse asks.
He sighs and shakes his head. "I wasn't expecting this," he mumbles.
"Look, we're not really trying to single you out," Max explains. "But it's clear that something happened in your home that has your son—who doesn't fear much, the lowest fear count ever recorded—have a fear involving you. We just want to clear up this mess so we can move on and not say anything rude or out of line on that serum."
Dauntless all nods in agreement. Marcus sighs again harshly but nods in affirmation to call him up here.
"Do we have questions prepared?" Eric inquires.
"Yeah," Jude nods passing them around. There are even extras for Abnegation. It looks like he had oddly prepared these for Tobias in advance as well as Marcus Eaton. I read the list quickly and nod that they're quite well written. I think Jude is rather skilled at asking things in a somewhat direct manner to suit our intent yet respectful not to seem rude or harsh. 
It takes a few minutes before Four arrives. He knocks on the door and his eyes immediately land on mine... then the Abnegation in the conference room.
"I have a report for you from Jax?" Four says questioningly.
"Thank you, Four. I'll take that," Jude tells him reaching out for the sheet. He reads it over. "It looks like there have been no problems with Erudite hacking our systems so far today."
"Is there anything else I can do for you, sir?" Four questions. He glances at his father and then me again.
"Have a seat, Four," Jude says motioning to the empty seat beside him at the end of the table. He sits down. He looks pretty uncomfortable. Jude explains what's going on and Four looks away, embarrassed and kind of angry.
"So you're putting me under a truth serum?" he questions dumbfounded.
"We're trying to straighten up this public mess that Jeanine Matthews has started. We all possibly wouldn't be able to go under the same serum without saying something distasteful to your father without you clearing the air," Jude admits.
Four looks to all of Dauntless leadership in question. His eyes land on mine last and he's searching, confused.
"We're doing this for you, Tobias," I say soothingly. His expression softens and I feel like I need to speak further so he can understand fully. I go to open my mouth but Eric beats me to it.
"What Tris means is that we all want this situation explained. Abnegation and Dauntless want to be able to trust each other completely. In order for that to happen, we all must be open and truthful. Don't confuse her concern for your basic well-being as interest. She's made it clear repeatedly that she does not have those types of feelings for you," Eric elaborates.
Four looks to me for confirmation. "I agree with Eric," I nod.
Four turns away but he nods his consent.
"Just so you're aware, this is not truth serum. It's something only available to leadership. It's more invasive than truth serum," Lydia explains. She rises and readies the first syringe that my mom hands her.
"What do you mean by that?" Four asks.
"We'll hear every one of your thoughts," Eric mumbles as he looks over the questions.
"What?" Four questions surprised.
"Told you so," I mutter.
"We ready?" Lydia questions. 
We all pound the table.  She injects Four and he already looks shaky as the syringe is removed. 
"Ah, I feel like I've spent the night out with Zeke," he laughs.  "I wasn't expecting this."
"State your birth name," Jude says. 
"Tobias Alexander Eaton," Four replies. 
"Explain your fear simulation with your father," Jude continues. 
"What do you mean?" Four questions. 
"Is what happens close to the reality of your childhood?" Jude clarifies. 
"Sort of," Four shrugs. 
"Elaborate," Max says. 
"It's not exactly what happened," he replies. 
"Continue," Max tells him motioning with his hand to elaborate further. 
"There weren't several versions of him," Four states. 
"Tobias," I say getting his attention. 
"You look really hot today," he tells me eyeing me. 
I push the irritation aside.  "Tell us what we want to know.  Tell us what happened during your childhood with your father," I insist. 
"You already know this.  He beat me with his belt.  Sometimes with his hand," he replies. 
"Was it a spanking or punches?" I ask.  Forget being civil.  This is Four and the questions need to be direct. 
"Both," he shrugs. 
"Explain," I tell him. 
"He always insisted that it was for my own good but it was always too harsh," he continues. 
"That's your opinion.  I want you to describe the incidents.  Tell me about the last occasion," I say. 
"The night before my Choosing Ceremony I was looking at my collection.  I had little pieces of random things I collected around town.  I scattered them around my room to look at them one last time.  Marcus came in, saw them and freaked out on me," he tells us. 
"Define freak out.  What exactly did he do?" I question. 
"He yelled at me and hit me with his belt," he replies. 
"Where did he hit you?" I question. 
"On my back," he responds. 
"Did it ever leave a mark?" I inquire. 
"I don't know.  I was never able to see that part of my body," he says. 
"Has anyone ever seen your back after initiation?" Eric asks. 
"Tori did my tattoos," Four replies. 
"Were there ever any visible marks that you've seen?" I question. 
"Not that I've seen.  I was always in pain afterward," he says. 
"For how long?" I inquire. 
"A week sometimes.  A day or two on others.  More often than not, a few minutes to an hour," he explains. 
"So usually, there wasn't lengthened pain afterwards, just rarely?" I confirm. 
"Yes," he nods. 
"Do you believe your father intentionally harmed you?" I ask him. 
"I don't know.  He always insisted it was for my own good.  He repeated that every single time," he says. 
"Does anyone have anything else to ask him?" I inquire. 
"Why do you fear me?" Marcus asks Four. 
"You spent my whole childhood hitting me.  Why wouldn't I fear you?" he counters. 
"I was trying to help you.  You were such an unruly child.  You were always getting into trouble—you were destructive, breaking rules, telling lies, acting up.  What other choice did I have?  No other punishment ever worked.  At least spanking you got you to stop for a time," Marcus says. 
"Spanking," Four scoffs mockingly, rolling his eyes. 
"What would you call it?" Ryan questions leaning forward. 
"Beatings," Four says seriously.  "I don't feel drunk anymore."  He looks to me.  "Although, I'd like to tell Tris what I'm thinking about."
"What are you thinking about?" my mother asks curiously leaning forward as well. 
"Oh... I forgot your parents were here," he mumbles. 
Jude clears his throat.  "So... Marcus.  Would you like us to interrogate you?" he asks. 
"Yeah, what I'd say would be less incriminating than my son's opinion of me.  He really is delusional," Mr Eaton responds irritatedly. 
"Just like my old man," Four mutters. 
Marcus shakes his head disappointedly. 
"I think we've got everything we need from you, Four," Jude says. 
"Can't I stay for his interrogation?" Four questions motioning to his father. 
"The door is over there.  You're excused," Max tells him firmly. 
"Yes, sir," Four nods rising from the chair.  He looks to me again.  "It was nice talking with you, Tris."
I raise my eyebrows in surprise.  "I would've thought that was a difficult conversation," I reply confused. 
"Yeah, but I got to see you," he grins. 
"Definitely delusional.  Can't you see the girl isn't interested in you?" Marcus says to him motioning to me with the wave of his hand. 
I look to his father in surprise as Four exits the door.  Lydia readies the next syringe.  Marcus rises and takes the seat on the end of the table where his son was seated moments ago. 
"I'll read off of the list.  Feel free to interrupt me at any time," Marcus Eaton says. 
I blink in surprise.  "He had to take this to be head leader.  Actually we've all taken it to be promoted to work in Abnegation offices, then leadership," my father explains. 
"Oh," I reply.  It sounded like he was nervous about being injected with the serum but clearly he's been on this at least three other times. 
Lydia injects him and Mr Eaton lifts his paper sighing. 
"Alright, my birth name is Marcus Tobias Eaton. Can you explain the fear simulation with Tobias?  He's afraid of me supposedly because I spanked an exceptionally unruly child," Marcus reads and answers skillfully. 
"Can you elaborate on that?" Jude asks. 
"The spanking part, I assume," Mr Eaton responds.  "It started around the time when his mother and I were having marital difficulties.  She would cause arguments and Tobias would think that he could be just as unruly.  It started with a pat on the bottom.  He would cry and go to his room but he would stop misbehaving.  His mother would start up again on another occasion—screaming and throwing things, then Tobias would follow with the same behavior.  Over time, he would start to move his hand over his backside and since he could get hurt, I started to hold his hands down—the same reaction as before, crying in his room but he'd stop. As he got older and his mother was gone, he'd get more unruly—fighting, screaming, breaking things, acting up in public."
He sighs. 
"Things got worse and it was difficult to get him to conform to Abnegation behavior as he aged.  I was just appointed the head around that time and I was at a loss—a single parent doing what they could. I tried everything. I would take away his free time. He liked to work on computers at school, assembling parts and whatnot.  I'd have to make him stay home from things like that as a punishment.  Then he'd start arguments during Factionless donations.  He was just out of control and misbehaving in public. As a leader, I couldn't allow him to continue to cause scenes in crowds.  I had to take away the vast majority of his public appearances besides school because he was in trouble so frequently.  I started holding him down and using my belt since it seemed to be the only thing to get him in check.  If he was hurting a little, it's like it got his attention to stop the bad behavior.  What's next...?"
He stops and looks to the list again. 
"What's an example of things he would do at home to warrant a spanking?" I ask. 
"He'd burn something in the kitchen and throw the pan out of anger.  There's a burn mark on the vinyl flooring from that.  I had to make a rule that he couldn't cook anymore since he caught the curtains on fire and almost burned down the house on another occasion," he explains. 
"How old was he when that happened?" Lydia questions. 
"Thirteen," he replies. 
Even my mother shakes her head at that.  I'm grateful I wasn't so bad for my parents. 
"Did you ever leave a mark on him?" Eric asks. 
"When he put his hand out, I did on accident.  That's why I'd hold his hands out of the way," Marcus answers. 
"What about from the belt?" I inquire. 
"There'd be a red spot from my hand or the belt briefly but he wasn't little anymore. A tap wouldn't scare him into submission. Something more had to suffice. He behaved so badly as a rule that I didn't know what else to do. Without the spankings, he was wild—uncontrollable and sometimes a danger to himself. I'd taken away all of his free time and on occasion, his outside time. I just didn't know what else to do to get him to listen and stop the unbelievable behavior."
"Does he have some sort of medical condition since he was so out of control?" Ryan asks confused. 
"He has a slight condition of bipolar disorder," Mr Eaton responds.  "His isn't as extreme as mine. I'm on medication to control my condition but the doctors said his wasn't severe enough for medication."
I look to the other leaders concerned as Marcus moves onto the next question on his list.
"Did I ever harm him intentionally? No, I only intended to halt his poor behavior. I wasn't out to cause damage, just to correct my child from misbehavior," he explains. 
"Did you ever harm Evelyn?" Max asks.
Marcus looks to him. "I... I slapped her once... when Tobias was four years old. I think it's possible that that's actually what initiated his behavior since that was when it all started."
"Why'd you slap her?" Max questions.  He appears angry. 
Marcus sighs. "Because I lost my temper. I immediately started taking my bipolar medication after that again—to aid me to stay more in-control of myself.  Before that, I felt fine without the pills but decided I needed it to handle the situations I was currently going through. She had that four year itch, you know. She kept disappearing for long periods of time. When she came home, she wasn't herself anymore. She'd start arguments with me and throw things, threatening to leave. When I ended up with a disease from her, I knew what she was up to."
"What was she up to?" Eric asks.
"She was having a marital affair with a Factionless man. At the time I thought it was only one but eventually, it turned out it was several people. When I discovered what I had, I confronted her about it. She had to admit it to me since there was no other way I got that. She apologized and said it was over and she'd never do that again. I forgave her. What else do you have for me? I've answered all of these."
"Do we have anything else relating to Tobias?" Max asks us all. We all shake our heads. So does the rest of Abnegation.
"Alright then," Marcus says. "I'll just have to wait for this stuff to wear off."
"What happened to Evelyn? She's supposedly alive in Factionless according to your son," Max questions.
Marcus looks to Max. "How did Tobias know that?" Marcus asks.
"I don't know but he's aware," Max shrugs.
"She had the seven year itch and left me for whoever she fell in love with in Factionless. She left Tobias, too. We argued one night when I saw her sneaking out. She left and never came back," Mr Eaton explains.
"Why did we have a funeral then? Why didn't you tell us what was going on?" my dad questions. His expression appears hurt and betrayed.
"Because I was too proud, I guess. I was embarrassed that my wife had continued affairs on me, my son was a constant burden at times. I love him but it was a neverending struggle. I always really felt alone so I guess I lied to let everything just end and moved on with my life putting my best effort into work and doing the best I could to support my son," Marcus explains. I almost feel bad for him. "I think...." he pauses. "Yeah, this has worn off."
We all sigh. I look to my parents and then the other Dauntless leaders.
"Could we confer for a moment, Marcus?" Mr Greenhouse asks.
"I guess I have no choice now," Tobias's father complains gruffly. He rises, steps out of the door, and has a seat in the chairs lining the wall, his back to us all out of the edge of the glass. 
"Do you mind if we discuss together?" Mr Greenhouse questions the Dauntless leadership to speak with the remaining of Abnegation leadership. 
"No, I'm sure this is a surprise," Jude replies.  I'm actually at a loss for words about the entire situation. 
The Abnegation speak together in hushed voices and the more I think about it, this must be such a difficult and awkward situation for them to go through.  They've just found out about their leader's questionable behavior.  The more I think about it, the way Four spoke about him, it almost sounded like he was a monster.  The way Marcus spoke, it sounded like he was just a person who was attempting to do the best that he could by himself in a bad situation.  He made some mistakes but he attempted to correct them.  He started taking his medication when he realized he needed it, he tried to work things out with his wife.  He lost his temper about his son yet he was still admitting through the irritation, that despite everything, he still loved him.  The spanking issue though... I guess I minded my parents.  I didn't fear them, I respected them.  But I also had a stable home life with parents who loved each other.  I can't imagine going through the types of situations Four did, or Marcus either for that matter. 
"We're at a loss," Mr Black admits to the rest of us. 
"What's the problem?" Jude asks. 
"Well... we're completely divided on what to do about this situation," Mr Greenhouse explains.  "Half of us present chose to forgive his actions as long as there's no future incidents, which is improbable since he lives alone now.  The other half has decided to remove him from his position."
I blink in surprise. 
"How are you expecting to resolve this issue?" Max questions. 
"We'd normally vote on it with an odd number of members, but that's impossible now. We're considering taking the advice of a former dependent," Mr Black says motioning to me.
I blush in surprise and shock.
"But... I've never studied as a member of Abnegation. I don't even know all of Dauntless's laws yet. What makes you think I should offer advice on this?" I question confused.
"Robert recommended you because you're familiar with our way of living. You have an insider's and outsider's viewpoint. We just want you to recommend what we ought to do since you're the only one present truly aware of our lifestyle and values. We're not expecting you to make the tie-breaking vote," Mr Greenhouse says soothingly.
I nod in thanks for the explanation. I look to the Dauntless leaders beside me. My eyes land on Eric and he gives me a meaningful expression, that I can ask him for help. He is my trainer after all.
"What do you think?" I ask him.
"You tell me what you're thinking," he counters.
"Well..." I start in a hushed voice. "That he can come back and assist for now but they ought to take it to the remaining council for an official vote."
"My thoughts exactly," he nods. "Don't doubt your ability to render a good decision on your own. I would've even considered offering to bring Jack Kang in on it for a private meeting sometime."
I smile at his encouragement and help.
"Thank you," I mouth to him appreciatively.
I turn to the Abnegation leadership remaining in the room and explain my advice, including Eric's.
They nod in acknowledgment. "It's surprising what the youth has to say. For your age, you are quite wise and thoughtful," Mr Greenhouse says. My parents look grateful and proud.
I go to open the door. "Mr Eaton?" I call out to him. He actually looks defeated, like he's kind of humiliated and ashamed that his dirty laundry just got aired out in front of a crowd. He nods to me, rises and enters the room. I shut the door behind us. He pauses and is motioned to take the previous seat he and Four occupied—the hot seat.
I quickly make my way back to mine and sit.
He's explained their decision—mine and Eric's decision. He nods in understanding, appearing relieved that he can continue on—or at least delay the decision for a time. He rises and retakes his previous seat.
"So... why don't we get started with what our intentions were initially?" Marcus says getting right back to work as if nothing happened.
I'm called first to the hot seat.  I sit down and take a deep breath before my mother swabs my neck with an astringent and injects me with the honesty serum.  I feel an instant reaction.  I notice an echoing in my ears and my vision seems somewhat disoriented.  Everything is moving in slow motion but sounds are amplified.  I also feel unstable in my seat like I'm going to fall over. 
"Whoa..." I say in surprise.  Jude comes closer to me and holds me in place.  "If this is what it's like being drunk, I don't think I'll ever drink—except maybe a sip or two of wine."
I hear even more echoing in my ears and I shake my head in confusion. 
"Beatrice?" my mom says calling my name but the sound still echoes.  I feel her grab my face and I look to her focusing on her eyes. 
"What's all that noise?" I question.  "It's so loud.  My head hurts."
My mom tries to silence the echoing chatter of the others.  "She may be having a reaction," Eric says in a booming, amplified voice.  My ears are still ringing from the sound. 
"What other medication is she on besides the hormone shot?" my mom asks. 
"Birth control," Eric admits in a resonant tone.  The ringing continues. 
I notice the fear in my mother's eyes. 
"For the hormones," Eric says.  I shake my head from the noise. 
"We're waiting until marriage," I say.  "Can everyone else please stop talking?"  I grab my head from the pain all the sound is causing. 
"We're doing this fast," my mom says in a whisper. 
"Okay," I mouth. 
"What'd you receive in your in your Aptitude Test?" she whispers quietly. 
"Divergent," I say.  Her eyes soften and I elaborate.  "I got Dauntless, Abnegation, and Erudite."
"Three?" she asks surprised. 
"Yeah," I whisper. 
"What would you do if you find other Divergents?" she inquires in a hush. 
"I'd help them, defend them if I could," I say. 
"What do you think about the rest?" she questions. 
"They're with us," I say. 
"You trust them?"
"I do," I answer. 
I hear an incredibly loud ringing and I cover my ears.  I look up to see Eric stepping out of the room but the noise still rings in my head.  My mom hugs me to her chest for the duration of the serum affects. 
"I think it's gone," I say.  "But I do still have a bit of a headache."
"I'll make you some tea," Lydia offers.  I observe as she pours water from a carafe.  It's steaming so it must be hot. I've only had iced tea before. "Sugar?" Lydia offers.
"Yes, please. Unsweetened is too bitter for me," I tell her.
"I always liked milk or lemon in mine," my mom smiles.
"Is that chai?" my father asks intrigued.
"Yeah, it's my favorite," Lydia smiles. She pours several cups and carries a tray to the table. She places one in front of me, then one with each of my parents. I realize now that both of them have moved closer to where I'm seated.
"This is for me?" my father asks in surprise.
"Yes, sir. I made made myself one as well. If she had that reaction, I may also," Lydia replies.
"Why don't we do you next then, while Eric's still gone?" my mother suggests.
"What happened anyway?" I ask rising and moving back over to my seat, taking a sip of this tea. "Lydia, this is delicious."
"I like spiced things. It suits my personality," she winks at me.
"It certainly does," I grin sitting once more.
"Jeanine Matthews just called Eric," my dad says sitting across from me once more. He takes a sip of his tea and sighs. "Just like I remember it."
I grin that he's enjoying the tea. I look to my watch and hope this takes a while so they can join us for dinner. Marcus looks curiously at my father's cup.
"Would you like some?" I offer.
"No, thank you," he says shaking his head.
"It might be too overwhelming for him. He's never had anything not plain before," my dad tells me.
"I have at the seminars," Marcus points out.
"Cream sauces are usually mild. So are the dressings. This is actually stronger than what I remember but I don't mind," my dad responds grinning and taking another sip.
I sip mine again and realize it is quite strong but each sip is helping my headache to diminish.  I rise and look over the selection.  I see a plain tea bag and turn it over.  It says to steep it in hot water for one to five minutes.  I see my teabag is still in mine so I'll remove it.  I notice my father removed his and put it on the saucer.  I pour a few cups and bring sugar, lemon, and milk to the table.  I set them in front of the other Abnegation members.  "You can add these to make it less bitter.  The longer you leave the bag in, the stronger it will taste," I advise them.  They all look to me in confusion but accept the beverages, thanking me.  I nod and sit down.  I take another sip of mine. 
My mother injects Lydia and she does seem to be experiencing the same reactions as me but she does well.  Mom performs the interrogation kindly and gently.  She asks similar questions as she did me and adds a few more to find out what she's known about Divergents in the past.  She inquires whether she'll protect them in the future and I really do feel like Lydia can be completely trusted.  I always kind of have since I've come to know her.  Her serum wears off and she rises. 
"You weren't kidding," Lydia says holding her head with one hand and her cup with the other.  "This is supposed to be the best choice for reactions to serums according to our infirmary staff.  That was a weird reaction."  She sits down at the table. 
"Yeah," I agree.  I see Eric walking back to the conference room from his office and I wonder why Jeanine was calling him in the middle of a meeting.  I guess I'll find out soon...