Chapter 40

Hannah guides me through the home store with my selections. We choose a buffet to go along with my dining set.  It actually matches perfectly, has drawers and shelves with decorative doors covered in a geometric crisscross pattern.  It's by far the most beautiful piece of furniture I've purchased yet.  Eric assisted me but so did Hannah with the choice. 
We select a freestanding bookcase to be placed behind my loveseat between my dining table, separating the space.  It's rather deep but I can put books or other ornamental objects on it.  I know there are several vases in my cupboards that are tucked away.  I figure that I'll be able to display them, as well as any books I may buy in the future.  I also find a plant stand as well.  It'll be placed along the window behind my dining table so whatever I put on there will get enough sunlight.  It has several shelves similar to the bookcase but the bottom has doors and drawers with a matching design to my buffet. 
I get two more basic bookcases but they're somewhat narrow.  I figure that I'm planning on getting several cookbooks for my kitchen.  I also have an idea for something in my dining room.  They'll go on opposite sides of my doorway. 
Hannah helps me choose some basic furniture for my patio.  I was thinking a couple chairs and a small end table between... but Hannah and Eric both talk me into a more substantial set.  I did realize how windy it was outside earlier while I was cleaning and what I had in mind probably would've blown away in the wind.  I decide on a large table big enough for all of leadership to visit outside with matching chairs.  The set is charcoal wrought iron with green water resistant cushions.  The tabletop is a light green glass.  I do choose some additional chairs for around the corner outside my bedroom with a small end table between them but it matches the other set in weight and appearance.  I notice Eric eyeing the fire pits. 
"Do you like those?" I ask. 
"Just looking," he shrugs.  I smile wondering if I ought to get him one but I don't know if he even has a balcony for it. 
We go to the upper levels of the store and Hannah assists me in lightning.  I choose several lamps for my bedroom, the spare room, and my living room.  She selects a large decorative clock for my wall.  I find a smaller alarm clock that's both functional and kind of pretty. 
Hannah also shows me some framed art that are made in Amity.  I decide to get a pretty painting of a landscape for above my buffet.  It has a massive black tree bare in the winter with the branches blowing in the wind.  The ground is various shades of purple and black.  There are dark clouds sweeping in as if from a storm.  I also select various sizes of picture frames.  I've got something in my bedroom waiting for this.  I choose a few random knick knacks for my shelves because I can now—all pretty and serving no other purpose but that I like them and I can buy them. 
Eric looks to be wanting to dig his card out of his pocket when it's time to pay.  But I beat him to it and jokingly shove him out of the way for good measure when he attempts to protest.  He laughs playfully and wraps his arm around me as I pay.  Hannah sets the delivery for two hours from now.  I figure that's plenty of time for me to get the rest of my shopping done with and get back home. 
"So... paint?" Eric asks as we walk out on the main level of the Pit. 
"Sure," I say playing with his fingers as we hold hands. 
"The same one you got your swatches from?" he confirms. 
"I do like the colors," I say picking my choices out of my pocket. 
"So, what's the plan?  I've never ordered paint before," he inquires. 
"Well, we could see if they can pull up the layout of my apartment like Hannah was able to.  If not, I'll buy a tape measure and do a little math before I come back.  I do need a toolbox one of these days but it'll have to be another time," I say. 
Eric smirks at me that I'm so familiar with such a task. 
We arrive at the paint store and I pull out my swatches.  The attendant assists me.  He says he's able to bring my apartment layout up and I smile grateful that this is so simple.  I start with the bathroom shade—a light to medium grey called coin.  He says two gallons will do for the walls of that space.  I select a shade for my bedroom called silver but it's very light grey with almost a hint of lilac in it.  I choose a color called pewter for the spare bedroom and it's light to medium grey with a small amount of lilac as well but it's a shade or two darker than the one for my bedroom.  I choose a hue called glacial green for my kitchen.  It's very light and cool in color, almost a pastel mint-green.  I hear a sound of protest from Eric and I raise my eyebrow at him in question. 
"I thought you said you weren't going to choose green paint," he says.
"We were talking about the bathroom.  This is for the kitchen," I tell him. 
"What's with the colors?" he asks. 
"Because I like them," I laugh. 
He makes a wavering sound but nods his approval grudgingly. 
"Good. Because I was going to do it anyway," I chuckle looking back at the salesman.  He's trying not to laugh at my banter with Eric. 
"Where else would you like to paint?" the salesman asks. 
"The hallway," I point to it.  He selects it.  "I want that to be cloud."  The shade is the lightest of my choices.  It's a very pale shade of grey.  It almost looks warm to me.  He affirms that he can do that.  "I also want that same shade for the entire living room."
He selects the living room but the section won't highlight for some reason.  "This is strange," he says attempting to press the space again.  "The system won't allow me to choose that space.  I've never had that happen before."
"That's odd," I agree.  I think about my mom telling me never to paint the living room but I dismiss the thought.  "Do you have the dimensions?  I can figure out how much I need based on that."
"Good idea.  I can do that.  It's the same for new builds when we enter them in the system... or remodels," he says nodding. 
We figure out the dimensions of all the walls and add it up.  I'll need ten gallons of that shade. 
"I also want plain white for the ceiling," I tell him.  He has the same problem.  All of the other rooms allow him to choose the ceilings—even the kitchen which is connected—but the living room declines the ability as well.  We figure it out manually again. 
I choose the sheen of eggshell for all of the paints but semi-gloss for the bathroom and kitchen. 
"Why the difference?" Eric asks curiously. 
"Easier to wipe clean," the attendant answers for me. 
I smile and nod. 
"Clearly you're very familiar with all of this," Eric says. 
I grin wider, "Maybe we could do yours sometime, too."
"Maybe," he agrees.  "Just no colors... like green."
"How about blue for your bathroom?" I inquire. 
I see him waver.  "Okay, you've got me.  Blue would probably look good in there," he agrees. 
I order all the supplies I'll need: drop cloths, paint pans, stir sticks, rollers, brushes, a ladder tall enough to reach the ceiling. 
"Do you need tape for your edge lines?" the salesman asks. 
"No, thanks.  I can edge well," I decline. 
He smiles at me—clearly this is his passion.  I actually love to meet people like this.  Hannah is the same with her trade.  It's nice to see people who enjoy their work. 
He rings up my total and Eric swipes his card before I can even get mine out of my pocket. 
"Thank you," I laugh.  "I didn't know it was a race."
He chuckles, too.  "Well, last time you got between me and the machine.  You even tried to push me," he counters. 
The salesman actually laughs at our taunting of each other. 
I set up delivery for next Thursday.  "Thursday we'll be traveling the fence," Eric says. 
"Should I give them a key?" I ask. 
"Sure," he shrugs.  "Who knows how long we'll take.  We are going outside the fence."
"I've heard some things about it out there," the salesman says eerily. 
"Like what?" I ask intrigued. 
"Like their radios go dead.  Things like that," he says. 
I look to Eric in question.  "It happens.  Patrols have to get to the next checkpoint when that occurs," he shrugs. 
"I wonder why," I mumble. 
Eric signs for the paint and delivery and we thank the kind man for his help. 
"No problem.  Biggest sale I've had in months.  Last one was a new build.  They'll be back soon, though.  They used the cheapest product available.  If they bought the same quality as you, it'd last years," he says. 
I smile and thank him for the help again.  We walk out of the store and I look up to Eric expectantly. 
"What?" he asks. 
"Why do the radios go out?" I inquire. 
"Not sure but we could ask Jax on Thursday," he shrugs. 
"Okay," I nod. 
We stroll down to the plant shop.  I realize how empty this section really is.  I only see couples and families—and few at that.  The families are definitely nowhere near the busier center of the Pit too often.  It's nice to see the children.  There are few in the cafeteria and a little more on their own in the Pit but they're usually older—like teens or almost.
I feel Eric slide his arm around my shoulder and pull me closer to his side. "How are you feeling?" he asks.
"Good," I say looking up at him.
"Just checking," he tells me.
"Why's that?" I inquire.
"Because by now you'd be falling asleep in my office," he replies.
"Oh," I say surprised looking to my watch. It's two-fifteen.
"We did sleep in to about ten," I point out.
"We did," he nods. "So... maybe in two hours I'll take you to bed."
"Maybe," I shrug. "We shouldn't take that long out here, I wouldn't think."
"There's your plant store," he nods in the direction.
I smile and walk faster, grasping his fingers with mine. "Come on," I say excitedly. "I want to see what they have."
I glance back to him smiling at me. I grin and focus on the entrance. It's so bright inside but I realize those must be daylight bulbs they're using since there's no windows around here and I'm sure we're underground. I see all sorts of greenery in the windows. I also notice daylight lamps.
"I think I see something I want to buy for Christina," I tell Eric. I step in and pick up a nice lamp that would look good in her apartment.
"That would definitely brighten up the apartment for her," Eric nods. He's grinning at me. "You're very sweet." He kisses my temple.
I hold onto the lamp and look through all the choices of plants. There are several house plants that catch my eye. I do see an aloe plant. I definitely want one of those.
I look at some of the names of each and I kind of laugh. "Why is it that I sort of want the Swiss cheese plant and the prayer plant?" I ask Eric.
"Those are interesting names," he agrees.
"I like the Zanzibar gem. It's quite attractive," I comment.
"I like that one, too," he tells me.
I see a small peace lily and I want one of those also. I notice something called a sago palm and I stop in my tracks and admire it. The price tag is a bit high but it looks like a miniature version of a type of tree I've only ever seen in pictures. I touch the leaves gently and I laugh at the sensation.
"That one is impressive. I kind of want one of those," he admires it.
I laugh in surprise. "Should I just buy the whole store?" I joke.
"I'm actually liking it in here too, very relaxing," Eric agrees.
I turn my attention to something purple and I gravitate towards it. "I have to have this," I say setting down the light and picking up the plant.
"What is that?" Eric asks in awe.
"It's called an orchid," I tell him reading the tag.
I meet with the shop owner and since we're the only people in the store, he has me set my choices on the checkout counter. I place Christina's lamp there. He gives me books on care for the plants, fertilizers for each, and a watering can. I choose the orchid, the Zanzibar gem, the peace lily, an aloe plant, and the sago palm. I decide to get a large snake plant just because I like the contrast of it—the texture. I ask about herbs.
"We don't carry those here. You can get them in Amity, though. March and April are the best times to go but they still might have some available. You could get seeds too and grow them at your leisure at home. We even have grow lights here if you want to grow them in winter," the salesman explains.
"Thank you," I tell him appreciatively.
I go to checkout and Eric pays again. I kiss him this time as he sets up delivery for later today. I carry the orchid home, though, and he grabs Christina's lamp. The salesman advises me where to place the orchid—not in direct sunlight, on an eastern or southern window. He also says that they're only to be watered monthly and it's not due for a watering for about that long. I thank him for the advice and he promises to send off the rest of my purchases later today.
"We're going to Amity on Tuesday, so we can check there," Eric tells me as we step out of the entrance. 
"Really?" I ask surprised. "Why?"
"You have to visit each of the factions," he says to me.
"Oh," I nod recalling that he had mentioned that previously.  I assumed it might've been something like why he visited Abnegation the other day.
"Abnegation will probably be last. But after we get our team trained on Monday, we may be inviting them over either on Wednesday or Friday. I've left those days open for us," he explains.
"Okay," I smile. A thought occurs to me, though. "What about Erudite?" I whisper.
"Second to last," he tells me quietly. I nod in understanding.
"I should probably call Christina," I mention pulling my phone out of my pocket. I select her number and call her. She answers on the second ring.