E I G H T E E N

The quartet was guided to the place where the feast was to be held. Justin raised an eyebrow at the seat all the way down on the floor—so his knees are going to be hurting now. He didn't complain though, because he was a guest there and he didn't want to anger the Queen. He took a seat besides Simon, much to his dismay, and across Jace.

"I thought you said she was ancient," Clary addresses Jace as soon as she takes her seat. "She hasn't even hit puberty yet."

"She is ancient," Jace answered, "She uses Seelie magic to manipulate her age."

Justin was impressed. That was actually a brilliant play by the Seelie Queen.

"Genius. She tries to seem all innocent and cute, but really she's—" Before Simon could finish his sentence, the Seelie Queen appear from the side.

"Hungry?" She looks at her guests before taking a seat besides Simon.

"That's very kind, but we really should discuss business," Jace answers for everyone, going straight to the point of this encounter.

"Business is boring. That's why I sent a proxy to your Downworlder cabinet meeting." The queen eyes the Morgenstern experiments with careful eyes. "I'd like to know more about Valentine's three children."

Justin awkwardly coughed at the sentence. "I'm not Valentine's son," Jace clarified. It was a relief for him to say those words out loud once again.

"Yet, the same blood runs through your veins," the queen says, "both of yours, actually." She gestures at Clary and Jace. By now, everyone pretty much knew that Justin Morgenstern was infected with demon blood. "The blood of the Angel."

Justin rolled his eyes. If she was so interested in the Angelic blood, why would she even ask him there? This is a waste of precious time—time he could've been using to catch up on some sleep.

"Please, show me what it can do." When they stayed silent, the queen spoke again. "Don't be shy."

"We're still learning how it works," Jace tells her.

She raises a delicate eyebrow, not convinced by the words. "Are you?" She tore her gaze from the couple in front of her and her eyes landed on the redheaded boy. "And you, can you show me how your demonic powers work?"

Justin gulped. "If you make me angry enough, I can show you, your Majesty. But I suggest we keep that part hidden."

The queen sighs and now her attention is on Simon. "And you, vampire? Are you still learning to walk in the sun?"

"Wow, word travels fast down here," Simon says, nervously looking at his companions.

"It does," the queen deadpans. Justin furrows his eyebrows. This is weird. "I hear whispers from the birds, the bees and the bugs. They're all in my service."

"So was Kaelie." Jace takes the opportunity to get back to the business they were there for. "Were you surprised to hear one of your knights was killing Shadowhunters?"

"Were you?" The queen raises a questioning eyebrow at the blond. "Kaelie was your lover."

Justin had to stifle a laugh at the sudden information that came to light. It was not like he was surprised; he didn't buy Jace bullshit excuse of book club but he thought it was a relationship from the past.