N I N E

"My mother's back."

Those weren't the words Justin wanted to hear first thing in the morning. Could he have a little peace and not have Maryse Lightwood around? "Which means I'll be alone, hibernating in my apartment." Justin started to walk away when Alec stopped him. "No, I have something else in mind."

"Please do tell what your idea is."

"How do you feel about throwing a party?" Justin instantly turns around and looked at his boyfriend like he grew two more heads. "I think you're asking the wrong person here. Magnus is next door." Alec chuckled and stopped the redhead from walking away.

"It's for Max's Rune Ceremony." Justin furrowed his eyebrows, not remembering ever hearing such thing in his life. "I don't know what that is. It sounds important and I'm still on the same page. I'll pass."

"Justin..." The Morgenstern boy exhaled deeply and turned to face Alec. "Look, you know I like Max. But your mother and I... please don't make me do it." Justin frowned and he saw a ghost of a smirk on Alec's features. "That's sort of the point of the party. So that she can see that this, us, it's not going away."

Justin smiled. That's kind of... sweet. Justin scoffed playfully and lifted his gaze to catch Alec's attention. "You sure about this?" Alec stared at him dumbfounded and answered quickly. "Why wouldn't I be?" Justin grinned at his answer and stepped closer to Alec.

The raven-haired Shadowhunter leaned in for a small kiss, but Justin evaded the gesture, patting Alec on the chest and stepping around him, leaving an astonished Alec Lightwood standing there. "Later. Right now, I need to go to Magnus and convince him to help me with this."

Justin was walking all around his house with a clipboard in hand, curtesy of Magnus, checking that things were getting done. The Warlock was currently in his house taking care of some things for the party, with Logan Graywood, while Jace was his company.

The blond Shadowhunter was in the balcony, trying to get some Institute work done with all the arrangements for the party going on. Justin was counting the glasses in his kitchen when Jace's voice called for him. "Justin!"

The redhead rolled his eyes and exited the room. "What? I'm busy!" Jace glared at him and pointed to the cats littering around the space. Justin groaned, not liking the furry animals in his space. "A little help, Justin!"

The Morgenstern man left the balcony and his apartment, knocking on Magnus' door. "Magnus, open up please!" The door unlocked a minute later, a disheveled Magnus Bane wondering what was wrong. Justin smirked at his friend's appearance, sending him a wink. "Oh, shut up. Is there a problem with the preparations?"

"Not really, there's just a crowd of cats in my balcony because I guess you didn't feed them like you always do and they saw Jace there. Could you please get those things out of my house?" Magnus nodded, and using his magic to make food appear, the cats walked out of Justin's apartment into Magnus'.

"Thank you, Magnus. I'll allow you to go back to Mr. Logan Graywood now. Come by later to finish the arrangements." With that Magnus sent him a pointed look and closed the door, Justin returning to his task in his own abode.

Justin went back to where his brother was and sat down in the chair beside him. "All arranged, the cats are back at Magnus' and I don't think they'll be bothering us again." Jace nodded, not giving him any attention. "Okay, what's wrong? Why are you ignoring me?"

Jace sighed, "I'm not." Justin stared at him with a blank expression and scoffed. "Yeah, right. Whatever it is you can tell me, Jace." The blond Shadowhunter rubbed his eyes and turn to face Justin. "Is this... fling with Alec."

Justin pulled a disgusted face at his words. He better be joking with that word. "What did you just say? A fling? That's really what you think it is?" Justin was offended Jace even questioned their relationship, he didn't have the right. "I don't know what it is, but I know my brother. He's sensitive. And now that you guys have taken things to the next level..."

Justin didn't know why would Jace say something referring to his sexual life, but he didn't like it. "I can't believe he told you." Jace shook his head in denial. "No, he didn't have to. We're parabatai." Justin could feel vile rising up his throat at the though of his own brother feeling that. Justin's eyes widened and Jace noticed how his words sounded.

"No. No, no, no. No, it's not like that." He panicked. "It's... I can, uh... I can just... I can sense that's he's happier." Justin nodded, relief flowing through his body at the confirmation that everything was okay. "Look, I'll make this simple, okay? I'm never gonna let anyone hurt him."

A small smile made it's way to Justin's face. "We share that. You really think I'd invite Maryse Lightwood to my house for anyone? I'm sorry but not even Izzy can make me do it and I'll do anything for her."

Jace grinned at his words and went back to his books and reports. "I hope this party has an open bar," Jace joked. "Me too. Angel knows I'll need it."

The rest of the day, Magnus and Justin spent it decorating and getting everything ready for the party. His apartment looked like something out of a postcard, thanks to Magnus, and Justin was grateful for a friend with incredible taste because otherwise he would never had planned something like this.

Justin was fumbling with the hem of his suit when Alec came to stand beside him. "Hey, stop worrying. Everything looks fine." Justin chuckled and turned to look at him. "Yeah, well, I hope your mother likes it."

Magnus then appeared on his other side, looking worried. "I'm worried the empanadillas are soggy. I gave the chef specific directions-" Alec was the one to stop him when he saw Justin's alarmed face. "Magnus. Everything is perfect. Both of you need to relax."

The door then opened, catching Alec's attention. He turned around and saw his younger brother and his mother entering the apartment. "Max! Mother." Justin choked on his drink at his words. He coughed trying to compose himself before further embarrassment.

Justin took a deep breathe before turning around, and face the Lightwoods. "I heard you like to drink." Maryse offered Justin and Magnus a bottle each, the two friends taking it with hesitation. "Welcome, Maryse," Justin said, a fake smile plastered on his face.

"Max, this is your night," Magnus told him, gesturing for him to look around. "You two do have exotic taste, don't you?" Maryse commented. "Oh, the Spanish theme is in honor of you and your husband," Magnus answered.

"Really? How so?" Maryse asked, a look of confusion and distaste in her face. "Alec told me that Robert proposed to you in Barcelona. We wanted to celebrate a joyous memory. Especially since he couldn't be here," Justin replied.

Alec smiled at how well Justin was handling himself, not a single trace of discomfort, remorse or anger on his features, even when Alec knew better. "How sweet that Alec feels comfortable sharing our personal family stories with you. Especially considering your... unique and distinct background."

Alec sent her a pointed look at her words and Justin had to stop himself from punching something, or rather someone, in that moment. "How about a drink?" Magnus interrupted the awkward conversation. "Sangria for the lady, a Roy Rogers for the guest of honor." Magnus left to go fetch the drink, leaving Justin alone with the Lightwoods.

I'm going to kill him for leaving me here!