F O U R T E E N

Justin entered the training room finding Alec and Clary there. Clary was standing up from the floor while Alec was picking up one of the staffs.

"What are you guys talking about?"

Both heads turned to the redhead boy in surprise. "About mom and Valentine."

"Do you think we haven't been trying to find your mother?" Alec asked, continuing the conversation. "Of course you have. But I know you can color outside the lines. You're just not letting yourself think that way," Clary said.

"Oh, yeah? What's the big thought I'm not thinking?" Alec wondered, throwing the weapon back to Clary. "We can still find Valentine. I might know a way."

Justin scoffed. Of course Clary will know how and haven't told anyone. "And you didn't tell anyone because...?"

Clary rolled her eyes but ignored him. "My mother hid a lot from me, but I did see one thing... there's a box. She didn't think I knew about it. She opened twice a year and cried."

Justin furrowed his eyebrows. He didn't know anything about a box. There's another thing to add to the list of things Jocelyn Fairchild was hiding from him.

"Cause?" "It belonged to my father. Had his initials, JJC, on top," Clary cleared. "That's not possible. Our father is Valentine, what does JJC means?"

"Because for 18 years, she told me his name was Jonathan Justin Clark. That was a lie. But... whatever was in that box meant a lot to her. Maybe there's something inside that could help us track him," Clary said.

"Where can we find the box?" Alec asked.

Justin walked to them and took the staff out of Clary's hand and pushed her away. He motioned for Alec to stand in front of him and battle.

"I think it's still back at the loft. Let's go get it," she answered nonchalantly. Alec tore his eyes away from the male and to the Fray girl, shaking his head.

"Absolutely not. Not without permission. Just stay here and train."

And with that he turned back to Justin. The ginger boy twirled the weapon in his hands and stood on a fighting stance. "Ready?" Alec nodded and advanced to him.

"Hey, uh... I'm sorry for causing you trouble with your mother. And for snapping at you back at the club and just for barging into your life like this," Justin said as he dodged an attack.

Alec scoffed and grabbed the other end of Justin's pole and pulled him towards himself. "It's okay, don't worry about it." Alec then flipped him over his back making Justin lose his balance for a moment but he landed on his feet and looked up.

"That can't be all you have, Lightwood." Alec's eyes widened at the stunt, clearly impressed by the boy's capabilities.

Alec went to punch him with his own staff but Justin dodged and grabbed it pulling Alec to him, their chest touching.

Alec's breath fanned his face and Justin took a quick look as his lips then to his eyes noticing the Lightwood did exactly the same.

Alec's eyes wondered from his face and to the room, detaching himself and running away. Justin frowned at the action but realised that they took their eyes off from Clary and she ran away, as usual.