Chapter 11 - Mikhail

I shut the door behind me as a sigh went past my lips. I had been this close to taking her right then and there - if the lust in her eyes was anything to go by. Her mouth told me that she hated me, but her eyes...her eyes told me a completely different story. I could see that she was battling us - the tension, the electricity. I knew that I shouldn't bait her like this but I couldn't help it. Every time I laid my eyes on her, every single rational thought flew out of my mind. God, I needed a drink. I didn't usually resort to alcohol but I guess this was an exception. This woman was starting to grow on me and that was bad. Really, really bad. I needed a distraction.

I walked over to the cabinet of liquor that I normally kept for clients and business partners in my study. Opening the oak doors of the cabinet, I pulled a bottle of my finest Jack Daniels as I uncorked the lid and poured a little amount in a glass. Settling into the chair that was behind my mahogany work desk, I let myself comfortable as I willed all thoughts about Luciana Rodriguez away. But as soon as I closed my eyes, all I could see were her beautiful eyes - brown swirls of chocolate that held deep, dark secrets. Secrets that only I wanted to uncover. I wanted to peel off layer by layer, until she was wholly and completely vulnerable with me - until she was mine.

Fuck. Where had that come from? The background check that I had did on her earlier hadn't helped in getting rid of her images from my mind either. I really shouldn't have thrown that in her face. Her loneliness. Her dead parents. I didn't even know her whole story but I still decided to say those words, mock her. Just to spite her. To get a reaction, or anything out of that tough exterior that she hid behind. I honestly don't even know what had compelled me to bring her here. The moment that I was leaving the plane, I knew that I didn't want to leave her there. And so I grabbed her and finally brought her here, to the Petrov mansion. At least, she'd be under my watch now.

Lifting the glass to my lips, I took a sip as I gagged. It had been years since I had last touched alcohol so I sure as hell wasn't ready for the bitter taste that seeped into my mouth. Right as I placed the glass back down, deciding that that was enough for today, the door clicked open as I saw a figure enter inside.

Sergei Petrov entered my study as a noticeable smirk curled on his lips. As usual, he had a bottle in his hands that was almost empty. Why wasn't I surprised? The man carried around alcohol like kids carried around their favorite toys. The only difference in this case was that this so called addiction happened to be destructive to all those around him.

"Who's that new kukla you've gotten eh son?"

Son. I seethed. He had no right to call me that. Especially not after he had practically abandoned us. He was physically present, but his mind was always somewhere else. He very conveniently remembered that he had children.

"Don't talk about her like that. Besides, it's none of your business Sergei. Now get out of my office." I stated calmly as I pulled out a stack of papers from the drawer.

"Tsk tsk. Is this any way to talk to your Father?"

Without my permission, he emerged from the shadows and made himself comfortable on the chair in front of me. From up close, I could see that his eyes were bloodshot and dilated. Exactly as that of a drunk.

"As far as I know, I haven't had a Father for the past 25 years - ever since Mother left."

It seemed that my words had hit home as I watched his eyes harden and an emotion akin to grief flashed across his face.

My mother, Maria Petrov was one of the most beautiful women that I had ever known. Sergei and her had always made sure that they spared time for us - something that was uncommon in mafia families. I could still remember the day when Mother had left, as clear as day. I had come back from school, excited to tell her how my teacher had praised me for doing so well during my science exhibition. All the parents were invited and I was disappointed to find out that my parents hadn't made it. I watched other families hug and congratulate their kid as love and warmth lingered in the air.

I brushed it off, thinking that they both must have been busy and that I would tell them when I would get home. Although, come to think of it, they had never missed a single one of my school events up until then. So, I pushed open the door as I dropped my bag on the floor and raced upstairs to my parents' bedroom. Sergei stood in the middle of the room, back hunched with a crumpled paper in his hands as his eyes turned red. I halted in my tracks as I called out to him. He had opened up his arms and reached out to me as I ran into him. The last time that any affection had taken place between father and son.

Without a word, he pushed the paper into my palms as he headed to the bathroom, leaving me alone with silence and a heavy feeling in my gut. My eyes skimmed over my mother's neat cursive handwriting as they took in every word, every letter on the page. I read it twice, thrice as I forced myself to believe that it wasn't true. Throwing the paper aside, I sprinted to my parents' walk-in wardrobe as my stomach plummeted. Half of it was empty. The half where my mother hung all of her clothes - they were all gone. With a heavy heart, I leaned against the entrance of the wardrobe. I was young, but I wasn't naive enough to understand that our mother jad just left us. No goodbye or anything. Just a letter.

Resentment grew in me as I ran out of the room and across the hallway, ignoring Sergei sitting on the bed. I slammed the door to my room shut with a bang as I let the pain and hurt seize me and take control over my body. I took a step forward and smashed the glass vase against the wall. A shattering sound echoed in the room as thunder rumbled loudly outside. After that, everything was a blur. All I remember was that I ended up sitting on the floor, with a heap of broken objects surrounding me as I lay there, the pain becoming number and number. After that, sweet little Mikhail turned into a violent and angry Mikhail. I would pick fights every day in school and come home bloody and beaten. Until one day, the school suspended me and I had to be transferred to another one, after Sergei pulled some strings.

That had been years ago. But it still stung. Although now, I understood my mother better and the reasons behind why she left. I just didn't understand why she didn't talk to any of us. Why she left so abruptly.

"Watch your mouth boy. Show some respect to your Father." He gritted out as anger took over his features. Even after fucking so many of his women in the club, it seemed that Mother's memory still haunted him, based on his reaction at the mere mention of her.

"What do you want Sergei?" I finally sighed as I realised that he wasn't getting out of my hair anytime soon - at least not until he got what he wanted.

"I wanted to talk to you about the Vorovskoy Mir."

"What about them?"

Something about his expression made my blood run cold. I don't think I'd like the next words that would come out of his mouth.

"They have a proposal for us. It would mean more money. I think you should consider -

"Enough." I raised my hand as my voice grew louder.

"I cannot believe that you're ready to join hands with them after everything that went down. After everything that they did to her."

I stared at him as guilt flickered across his face, which he covered up into an expression of annoyance in the blink of an eye.

"Mikhail, son -

"I said I don't want to hear it. Anything about them. Please get out."

He sighed loudly as he got up from the chair. Fucking finally.

"At least give me the girl. I could put her to some use in the club -

"Get. The. Fuck. Out. Of. Here." I growled at him as I grew furious. Like hell I'd let her step in that club. Luciana was worth much much more than some stripper that my father liked to fuck.

Without another word, he turned his back to me, but not without saying a few choice words.

"Get out of your dreamworld Mikhail. That woman's not good for you. Better not end up the way I did after Maria."

He shut the door behind me as my mouth gaped open. What the fuck did he mean by that? Whatever. I didn't have time right now. I'd deal with those unwelcome thoughts later.

***

A bit of *trauma* in this chapter heheh. I mean, c'mon, we all do love ourselves a broken and morally kinda fucked up man right?

Don't forget to vote, comment and share this story!

Follow me on Instagram @bibliomxniac for updates and more!