Chapter 27 - Mikhail

Rubbing my hands across my face, I finally plucked up the courage to knock on her door. After a restless night of tossing and turning, I had come to the realisation that I had overreacted and been a bit too harsh with Luciana. It was natural that she'd be curious and wanted to know more about Ilaria - especially since I was so tight lipped about her.

Just as I was about to knock again, the door flung open as I was met with the sight of Luciana with a bedhead - very adorable, if you'd ask me. She was rubbing her eyes, having just woken up as she squinted at me. The corner of my lips tugged up as I wondered how it'd feel to wake up beside her. I definitely wouldn't mind that, I mulled over as she glared at me.

"What?" She bit out.

I would have found her sassiness to be endearing of it weren't for the fact that I was the reason behind her anger. Sobering up, I gave her a half smile.

"May I come in? I really want to talk to you."

She jutted out her hip to one side as she tilted her head.

"Wow. The great Mikhail Petrov asking for my permission to enter my room. I thought that you would have simply marched right in, seeing as everyone and everything here is your property right?"

"Luciana, please." I pleaded as I closed my eyes.

"I want to apologise for my behavior."

My statement was met with silence as I dared to open one eye. She had retreated back into the room, leaving the door wide open for me. I took this as a good sign and entered, shutting it softly behind me.

My mouth opened and closed as I tried to find the right words. Jesus. I really hadn't thought this through, had I?

"As I said, I'm here to apologise. I was way out of line and overreacted. I'm sorry...I truly am."

Luciana stayed quiet as she mulled over my apology, wringing her hands together.

"Will you please say something? I'm kind of dying of remorse here."

She quirked an eyebrow at my word choice as a smile threatened to spill over her face. Atta boy.

"It's fine. You just caught me by surprise with the whole apology and all."

"What? Just because I'm a criminal doesn't mean I don't know when I crossed a line. I'm man enough to admit when I'm wrong." I puffed out my chest as I looked her straight in the eye.

"All right you loser. Your apology has been accepted." She said as she laughed lightly, the sound being music to my ears. I wish I could keep that smile on her face for the rest of her life. It was a dangerous feeling really - wanting to be someone's reason for happiness even when it meant sacrificing a part of yourself.

"Did you just call me a loser?" I feigned hurt as I put a hand to my chest.

Her giggles grew louder as she tried to get them under control.

"Oh god. You're such a drama queen!" I chuckled as I watched her eyes shine in amusement, sending an unknown warmth through my body - a feeling I felt right up to the ends of my toes. An addictive feeling, really. I honestly don't think I would ever get tired of her beautiful laugh. A comfortable silence engulfed us as we both sat there, thinking.

I broke the silence as I opened my mouth to speak.

"I'm sure you must have a lot of questions by now. Regarding...you know."

Her eyes softened as her mouth turned upside down - a telltale sign that she knew the words that were about to come out of my mouth.

"I had a sister." I added gruffly.