Chapter 35 - Mikhail

I ran a hand through my tousled hair nervously before I pushed the door open. The lights were off, indicating that there was no one in the house. Heaving a sigh, I slung my coat and tie onto the edge of the couch. I rubbed my temples before I plucked up the courage to walk up to Luciana's room to talk to her. This would, in no way, be easy but I had learned early on in life that easy things weren't worth fighting for. My heart stuttered for a millisecond, too scared to see the state that Luciana would be in - especially after all those things that I had said to her. I didn't mean it - any of it. No matter what happened, I don't think I could ever hate her. I loved her too much to let my momentary anger and hurt take over.

Treading up the stairs slowly, I was met with an open door as I saw all her things scattered on the floor. The comforter was rumpled as I spotted the closed bathroom door. Maybe she was in the shower. Not hearing any sounds of streaming water, I pushed that door open only to find it empty - as if it hadn't been used at all. My heart beat rapidly in my chest as I forced myself to not jump to conclusions.

I made my way around all the rooms in the passage before I finally made my way back down. Something akin to fear gripped my body as I made out the figure of an object on the kitchen counter. Flipping the light on, I saw that it was Luciana's clutch. An irrational mix of fury and panic passed through me at the sight of shattered glass on the floor. Something was definitely wrong.

***

I, Mikhail Petrov, was proud to say that nothing had ever brought me to tears - until now. I was very close to losing it as I dialled Alexei's number, waiting for him to give me any news, anything at all. The sun peeked through the windows as Sergei, Dimitri and Sofia sat on the sofa next to me. My leg bounced with nervousness as I managed to poorly conceal my impatience.

"We've found something, Pakhan." Came Alexei's voice through the phone as it sent a burst of happiness through my heart.

The moment when I seen the shards of glass, I knew that something was fishy. More like someone had abducted Luciana. It was perfect timing, really. I hadn't been by her side, nor had been any of my men or my family. Usually, Luciana was surrounded by someone I trusted, even if I wasn't there physically. I mentally slapped myself for missing out that little detail and leaving her alone in the first place, in a fit of rage.

Whoever had dared to lay a hand on my woman, I'd be sure to chop their dick off and feed them to the dogs. A part of me suspected it to be one of my men since no one outside of the Bratva knew about last night's gala and us leaving early.

"What is it?" I barked as I pinched my forehead in frustration.

Seven hours later, and we'd finally gotten a lead.

"Our cameras have captured an unconscious woman being dragged out by a man." He replied, unfazed as ever by my outburst.

If there was anyone who knew how to handle me when I was feeling extra pissy, then it was definitely Alexei. Although, pissy wouldn't be the exact word to describe this situation - more like livid.

"And then what?" I questioned as my fingers curled into my palm.

"That's all that we have."

"That's all?" I repeated as my temple started throbbing with tension and sleep deprivation.

"Find out more and give me a call if you have any updates."

Without waiting for his response, I cut the call as a roar tore through me. My fist found the nearest wall as I punched a hole through it. I kept hitting it until my knuckles grew red and started bleeding. This wasn't enough of a punishment for my carelessness. I deserved worse than this.

"Mikhail." Dimitri's cool voice broke out as I whipped around to face him.

"What?" I bit out as I chanced a glance at Sergei who was, unsurprisingly, drowning himself in a bottle of his finest whiskey.

"Maybe it's for the best."

"What do you mean by that, Dimitri?" My eyes narrowed as Dimitri stepped closer to me.

"That girl wasn't good for you anyways. Maybe you should let go and -

"Like hell I will." I growled as I took a step menacingly towards him, closing the distance. I grabbed him by his collar as I leaned closer to him.

"Don't give out unsolicited advice Dimitri...especially when it comes to my woman." I threatened lowly before I let go of him and stepped back.

He raised his hands in mock surrender before straightening his tie and taking the seat next to Sergei's.

My attention shifted to Sofia who was a nervous wreck, just like me as she looked up at me with unshed tears. I sat down next to her before pulling her closer in my arms. Sofia had found a sister and a best friend in Luciana - a bond that she hadn't been able to form after Ilaria's death. They had clicked from day one and their bond had only strengthened the moment Luciana and I became a couple. Couple. The word sounded so foreign on my tongue. I had never really fathomed that I would ever settle down with one woman in the future - especially after seeing all the trainwrecks of toxic relationships around me. A couple months back, if you'd told me that I'd fall hard and fast for a flight attendant that I had just met, I would have laughed in your face. But now...now I was completely owning up to the fact that I was pussy whipped. I'd go to any lengths to get my girl back, safe in my arms. Granted, she had lied to me all these months, but a more sentimental part of me understood the reason behind it. Unlike all the other people in my life, she had lied to me to protect me and not to use me - at least, her heart was in the right place even if she hadn't gone about it in the right way.

My heart craved her a lot in this moment. It may have been only a couple of hours since I last saw her, but it might as well have been a couple of years for me. Crazy how that one special person can make you feel huh?

Dimitri stood up and muttered something about some meeting before leaving the house. I didn't pay much attention to him, my mind too focused on anything and everything Luciana Rodriguez. My phone buzzed in my hand as I saw Alexei's name flash across the screen. Without wasting another second, I swiped and picked up his call.

"Pakhan? We have a mole in the Bratva."

Adrenaline buzzed in my veins as I strode to my car in the garage.

"Who is it?"

"We don't know yet, but it's someone who was at the gala with us. They seem to have taken her to Kyzyl or to the outskirts of Moscow based on the location of her phone. We lost the signal a while back."

Fuck, fuck, fuck. Kyzyl was one of the most dangerous parts of Russia, not to mention, it was a city heavily known for it's sex trafficking.

"Alright. I'm coming over now. Be there in five." I muttered before I grabbed my gun and put it in its holster. We couldn't be too careful now, especially since finding out that one of the traitors was a fellow brother.

"Mikhail. I'm coming -

"No. You stay here. Let me know if anyone else calls ok?" I instructed as Sofia sat back down, eyes red rimmed with fear.

"Bring her back ok, Mikhail? Promise me that."

My eyes softened as I looked at my baby cousin who was as distraught as me.

"I promise."

I'd rather kill myself before I broke that promise. Nothing would stop me from getting Luciana now.

***

4 more chapters + an epilogue left bestiesssss!!! You can expect a little bit more of action and some secrets that will be revealed before our fav couple finally gets their happily ever after!❤

Don't forget to vote, comment and share this story!

Follow me on Instagram @bibliomxniac for updates and more!