Chapter 39 - Mikhail

I could see the exhaustion written, clear as day, on Luciana's face as she slept through the entire car ride to the airport. I had made up my mind right when Ana had told me everything. I was done with this. Done with this life that I wasn't happy in. I wanted peace and quiet - something that I had come to realise, thanks to Luciana. I wanted to give her everything, the world if she ever asked for it. Hence, the abrupt decision that I had made. I had figured out that Alexei wasn't too pleased with my decision but he didn't say anything since he knew that once I set my mind to something, I would see it through, come hell or high water. My pulse thrummed quietly as I finally related my tense muscles. We had left the outskirts of Kyzyl about an hour ago already and were almost near to the Sheremetyevo Airport.

I think I was still numb from the incident at the club, unable to process that I was the one who had killed Dimitri. A part of me mourned the death of my guardian, but another part of me was glad that the traitor was dead. I had never wanted it to end this way, but he left me no choice. Joining hands with Andrei had really hit a sore spot in me. After all, Dimitri had known all about how the Antonovs had treated Ilaria and yet, he sided with them. As for the others that I had left behind...well, let's just say that Sergei would be more than happy to see his only son gone.

For the first time in a quite a while, a weak smile took over my face as the terminal came into view. Shaking Luciana awake, I leaned forward to gently kiss her forehead as she looked around groggily.

"Mikhail." She breathed out my name, as a surge of protectiveness filled me. I'd do anything this woman would ever ask me to - even hang up the fucking moon and stars for her.

"Mikhail...I'm so sorry. This is all my fault. I shouldn't have hid -

"Shhh, malyshka." I pressed my finger to her lips as she closed her mouth.

"Let's leave the past behind us, hmm? We're going to start afresh now. With a new slate. A new beginning."

She cocked her head to the side as she squinted her eyes at me.

"You still haven't told me where we're going."

"Look outside." I whispered as the car stopped near the entrance of the terminal.

"The airport...?" She trailed off, looking confused as Sofia and Alexei exited the car from the front.

"Surprise." I chuckled. "We're leaving." I replied.

"B-but how? W-why?"

Shrugging, I pulled her out of the car.

"I finally decided that enough was enough. I don't want to live a life like this - a cold blooded criminal. I want to start a life with you instead. The both of us together."

Luciana's eyes welled with tears as she cracked a smile.

"I love you for infinity."

"I love you for infinity." I said as my gaze softened.

Before I could get in another word, Sofia ambushed Luciana in a tight embrace, clearly trying to hold her tears back. I had always had only a couple of people in my corner - Sofia and Alexei being two of them. So naturally, it was hard for me to leave them but my need to get the fuck out of here was much stronger. Besides, we had technology, didn't we? We could always keep in touch, even miles away.

Before we had left to get Luciana, I had made sure to follow through with the custom of cutting the edge of my palm with a knife as a drop of my blood spilled onto Alexei's hand, making him eligible to become the Pakhan after I was gone - a blessing of sorts, you could say. If there was anyone that was capable of handling the Bratva's affairs, then it was Alexei, without a doubt.