Chapter 18 - Mikhail

I stood up as we finalised the last few points of the meeting. I had blatantly refused when Igor had offered to do business with the Petrovs again - he was lucky that he was still breathing in the same room as me. Without even another glance, Igor stomped out of the room like a petulant child. He had claimed that he didn't know anything about what Andrei, his nephew, had done or where he was - something I didn't believe. However, I didn't say anything since this was my fight. I was going to hunt down Andrei myself - even if it meant sacrificing my own life in exchange.

I never had had a good feeling about that man anyways. Always dressed in a crisp suit, he gave off the vibe of a perfect gentleman - but his eyes told another story. I would go to the lengths to say that he was like one of those famous American serial killers - like Ted Bundy to be precise. Cold and calculative. Charming on the outside but a monster on the inside. That wasn't the case with me. One look in my direction and you'd know that I stood for danger. Although I would never ever go to the lengths of what the Antonovs did to her - an innocent woman.

His charm and exuberant personality had been what blinded us. False promises that he would keep her safe and would treat her like the queen she was and now look where that got her. He had even managed to fool Sergei in the process no doubt by bribing him with fine liquor. I could remember that day as clear as day. The day when we made a deal with the devil. She had looked so happy, finally content to have found a good husband and hopefully a good father someday in the future. 10 years ago, we couldn't have fathomed how things would change over the span of 5 years. How all her dreams as a young girl would be shattered within the blink of an eye.

Regret swirled in my chest as her pale face and sunken cheeks came to mind - the last time I had ever since her before she died in vain. Even then, she had pretended that everything was fine. Her once vibrant red hair looked dull and lifeless. She had lost weight and looked as if she had aged more than her youthful 25 years in that short time. It was a mistake. We shouldn't have underestimated the Antonovs. I should have known. The ugly feeling that was guilt that consumed me again - just as it had for the past 5 years. Too lost in my thoughts, I barely registered Dimitri saying something about having to do some important work as he moved to step out of the safe house. Sergio was walking beside me as we exited the office, ready to go back out.

"Glad we got that out of the way. Not to mention how Antonov looked ready to shit his pants when you raised your voice."

I chuckled lightly as I opened my mouth to respond.

"Yeah I -

I was cut off by a blinding explosion that happened a few feet away from where we were standing. Shards of wood and debris flew everywhere as the smell of something burning filled the air. Gasping, I fell to my knees as my hands shielded my face from anything sharp hitting it. My vision blurred for a second as darkness folded around me like a blanket. I felt like I was choking to death as my lungs worked overtime, trying to make up for the lost oxygen. In. Out. In. Out. I continued slowly breathing as the smog started clearing bit by bit - only to give way to something much larger. A fire. Fuck.

My survival instincts kicked in as I hastily stood up, looking around for Sergio.

"Mikhail!"

My head snapped in the direction from where the female voice was coming. My eyes grew wide as the figure of a woman came into view. What. The. Fuck.

"Luciana! What are you doing here? Are you crazy? You could have gotten hurt." I hissed as a sharp jolt of pain ran down my side.

"I-I saw the house burning and I realised that you were stuck inside." She faltered as I took in her soot covered face.