57. this is me trying

Klaus fell on top of a table, having been thrown through the air across the courtyard. He grunted, blood slipping down his forehead from the chips of broken wooden table. He stood up to his feet, looking at the woman standing at the other side of the room. She faced away from him, her fingers raking through her straightened hair. "Do it again." The hybrid demanded, taking deep breaths. "Harder this time! All of that pain, that simmering darkness. You need to purge it before it eats you alive!"

"No, Dad-" the woman turned around, dropping her hands to her sides, frustrated. That's how the pair had been spending their morning for the most part, a one sided fighting match.

"Give me your anger, Poppy!!" Klaus yelled, attempting to get his daughter riled up. His daughter walked to another table, where she had a glass of wine. It helped quiet the whispers. "Come on! After this entire week you have to feel something!"

Poppy picked up the glass and threw it into the wall behind her, then used her magic to throw her father to the wall beside him, letting out a yell of frustration. "It's not working! It's not enough!"

Her dad sat up against the wall, placing his wrist on his knee. "You're holding back." He told her.

His daughter walked closer to him. "Do you think I want to feel this way?! No matter how hard I try it doesn't feel any better." The tribrid turned away from him, screaming as she walked. Everything in a five foot circle around her was pushed away by an invisible force. "God, it's like being a teenager again!"

Klaus frowned, but didn't move from where he sat. He looked up at the balcony where Hope stood, watching her sister. Beside her stood a woman, his daughter's mother.

...

Hayley walked into a room in the Abattoir, wearing the clothes she had found in the home beside the Bayou. Jeans and a sweatshirt. She kept her arms wrapped around her thin frame, and took a small breath. "Klaus?"

The man in the chair stood up quickly and turned around, his eyes widening at the sight of the woman standing before him. She could see the tear that slipped down his cheek. He parted his lips to speak, but he didn't know what to say, or what to believe.

"By some magical miracle I was brought back to life..." the mother tilted her head. "Any idea what that's about?"

...

"It's too late for Poppy." Vincent spoke, helping an older lady down the steps of a crypt in the cemetery. Witches were gathered together in suffering. He was speaking to Elijah, with an expression of sympathy and sorrow. "It's too late." He left the woman's side and walked closer to the Original. "Eventually the darkness is going to take over and the Poppy you knew is gonna be no more."

Elijah followed the witch as he walked. "I don't accept that."

"You know, she barely survived this all those years ago. She barely survived her teenage years, being a firstborn Mikaelson witch." He stopped and turned around. "You think she's angry right now, you wait until she unleashes power double her own and double the Hollow's on the city."

Elijah was desperate. "I need you to fix this."

"I don't know how to fix this, Elijah!" The witch yelled, visibly in distress. He gestured to the witches around him. "Look around! All of these witches just woke up from the dead with vampire blood coursing through their veins. Now as soon as their grief gives them one second's pause they're gonna have to decide whether or not they're gonna feed and live forever, or end it all. I love Poppy, but these people are my number one priority. That's it."

...

Poppy sat in a large room on the second level of the compound. Her calf was propped up on her knee, and her elbow rested on the arm rest of the dusty old throne she sat upon. On her lap was a bloodied rag, one she had cleaned her hands with. She had spent the past hour trying to get rid of the feeling that came with consuming all of Inadu's power. The method she had chosen was torturing Greta's son, Roman...