48. last goodbye

2026 

An Unknown Location in New Orleans, Louisiana 

It was cold, and dark, and lonely when Poppy opened her eyes. It was a familiar feeling, what she laid inside of. It was a coffin, not a great one though. It was wooden, with no cushioning. She forgot how she had gotten there, what led up to her waking up in a coffin. What had she been doing? Right, she was talking to her sister, and then her neck was snapped. Who did it? Was Hope safe? Were her kids safe? What was going on? Taking a deep breath, Poppy blasted open the coffin with her powers, a scowl on her face of anger and worry. She stood up and stepped out of the cheap coffin, placing her sandaled feet on the floor. Looking around, the tribrid could tell she was in an attic, filled with all of Davina's old things. Of course, she had been hidden inside of St Anne's. She also saw another coffin, one that was significantly more nicer. With a soft sigh, Poppy walked to the coffin and opened up the lid, gasping when she saw a sleeping Hayley. 

New Orleans, Louisiana 

The Mikaelson Compound 

"Attack is a really strong word, Mom's fine! Poppy's fine!" Hope exclaimed, sitting in a room. She had been talking to her father, confessing what she had done to get him to come home. Klaus raised an eyebrow at her, displeased. "In a really nice coffin," she scrunched her nose a bit, knowing she couldn't say the same about Poppy's coffin "sleeping. I cloaked them in a sleeping spell that I wrote myself."

Klaus held his arms out a bit. "Oh, well in that case, I've never been prouder! Where are they?" He needed the nonsense to be over, to be away from Hope. Things would only become worse, worse than the blood water and the whispers. Plus, if Poppy were to wake up inside the coffin she would be furious, and upset. He knew how it would make her feel because of the way being in the glass coffin would make her feel. Suffocated, trapped.

"You're just gonna go disappear again if I tell you." Hope spoke with a bit of a glare, disappointed and angry that he hadn't spoken to her, that he had been avoiding her. 

Klaus held his hands out a bit, gesturing to his daughter. Though he felt guilty and sad that he couldn't be with his youngest daughter, he had to be stern. "Hope, you are in danger when we're in proximity! I know you feel that!" Almost as if on cue, after he exclaimed those words, the flowers on the table that had separated the father and daughter suddenly died, falling limp and shriveling. Out from the vase slid a snake, causing the hybrid to scrunch his face in disgust. "The dark magic inside us manifests itself in ugly ways, we could be putting others in danger, too. Your sister, the whole city."

Hope stood up. "I don't care!"

"This is not up for debate, Hope!"

New Orleans, Louisiana 

St Anne's 

Hayley woke up with a deep breath, opening her eyes to see hands hovering over her body. It was Poppy, who held her hands over her, but she dropped them when she saw that the hybrid was awake. Hayley sat up and got out of the rather nice coffin she laid in, her eyebrows furrowed in confusion. "What's going on?" Hayley asked the tribrid, looking around at the room they stood in, Davina's old room. She noticed the destroyed wooden coffin Poppy had been in. All she could remember was being thrown into the wall in an alley way...who did that to her? Did they do the same to Poppy?

Poppy gave the woman a shrug. "I don't know, and I don't want to stick around and find out." She said, walking around the other mother and towards the door of the room, speedwalking in a hurry to make sure everything was alright at home. "We need to make sure Hope is alright-" Poppy suddenly stopped, remembering what had really happened before she was knocked out. She was talking to Hope, she said that the only thing that would bring their Dad home was if someone was missing or about to die, and then Hope snapped her neck. Poppy dropped her shoulders, relieved that nobody was in danger. That they weren't in danger. Turning around, she gave Hayley a pissed off look. "Actually, this was Hope's doing. She's trying to get Dad to come back home." Hayley frowned, her hope that her little talk with her daughter had changed things for the better diminished. Hearing footsteps, both of the mothers turned their attention to the door, Poppy turning around and backing up to stand with Hayley. "This doesn't feel like good company, Hayley." Hayley shook her head, her face transforming and her claws extending. Poppy did the same, extending her claws out and transforming her face, her eyes glowing blue. 

They were ready for a fight, and a fight was what they got. 

New Orleans, Louisiana 

The Mikaelson Compound 

"The little girl I knew would never have dreamed up a scheme like this." Klaus spoke to his youngest daughter, turning away for a moment. He was beyond stressed, but partially relieved that, as far as he knew, his daughter and Hayley weren't in any real danger. 

Hope watched him with tears in her eyes, anger and pain. "Well, sorry to disappoint you. But that little girl hadn't read your memoirs." Her dad turned around to look at her again. "You compelled Cami O'Connell to write your story. About a guy who used to put his family members in coffins and use the, as leverage."

Klaus walked towards his daughter, somewhat proud, but what overpowered the feeling was his anxiety. As he approached her the voices became louder. "So you've studied my old tricks." He stopped in front of her. "Did you learn this one?" He asked before reaching forward with a swift movement, one hand cupping the side of her head and the other grabbing her arm. He looked into her mind for the location of Poppy and Hayley. "They're at St. Anne's."

New Orleans, Louisiana 

St Anne's

"I may need your help waking them." The Original Hybrid spoke to the two witches that followed behind him as he turned the corner to the attic, where Hope had kept the coffins. They were in a rush, Klaus needed to leave the city as soon as possible. He had already spent too much time talking to Hope, it had become nighttime. "Hope was boasting about a cloaking spell, a sleeping spell." With that said, he approached the door and opened it up to see the dark room. "Hayley! Poppy!" He called out as Freya turned on the light. 

Silas gasped at the scene before them in horror, as did Freya and Klaus. The coffins had been opened up, the room had been destroyed. There was blood everywhere, wolf fur too. Deep scratches in the floors, blood smeared and splattered on the walls. There was a fight, a violent one. 

Freya stepped towards the coffins, taking a deep breath. "Oh my god."