41. high water and a devil's daughter

Poppy, you need to come home today. It's for your protection.

May 15, 2019

New Orleans, Louisiana 

The Mikaelson Compound 

It had been a rough kinda day for everyone. Poppy had been plagued by nightmares that night, and when she woke up it wasn't any easier. The drugs were wearing off, so she still felt a little sick and weak. Her and Vincent had shared a cup of coffee in the morning, but he seemed awfully as the day went on. He was beyond stressed about the Hollow, they had found out that morning that the Hollow planned to be resurrected, which requires four of her bones (one being Papa Tunde's blade, which someone stole, and not her being her jaw, which Hayley had). He also didn't like that the Mikaelsons were going to have her to back to the Abattoir. For her protection or not, it wouldn't be safe (physically and emotionally). 

He wasn't even sure what they'd be doing to protect her. Anyone could easily strut into the Abattoir, but they couldn't enter his apartment. Perhaps they were at peace knowing that she was by their sides. 

Poppy currently stood at the dining table in the dining room, her arms folded over her waist. She wore something comfy that day, leggings and a purple T-shirt, and sandals. Her hair was still straight from the night before, and it fell against her back and chest. 

At the table sat her dad, who was pouring blood from a blood bag into a glass. "If you don't feel good you should be sitting down." Klaus told her, turning his head up to look at her face. 

Poppy looked at him for a moment before pulling a chair out and sitting down. She laid her head on her arms, her face hidden. She wasn't in the mood for talking, and she didn't know what to do so she decided she would follow her dad around wherever he went. 

"How did you sleep?" He asked, looking back at the blood bag. He let out a sigh when she didn't give him an answer. 

The doors to the dining room opened, revealing Elijah, who didn't hide his disgust of the blood bag. "Ugh," he sounded, walking in. "O positive. You heathen."

The younger brother set the blood bag down and picked up the glass of blood. "New rules. No bloodshed in the house where my daughter sleeps and plays." He took a sniff of the blood and cringed, setting it aside. Absolutely disgusting, he preferred fresh blood out of the vein. "Perhaps I'll go out for dinner." 

Elijah stopped him before he could stand up. "Oh, no no no no." He walked to stand behind Poppy, placing a hand on her back. "We have no way to know who will take Dominic's place as the Hollow's right hand, there could be any number of disciples out there-"

"Yes yes yes, all who may have the means to kill us. You know, if you hadn't been so hasty to kill him, we'd be dealing with the devil we know." Klaus scolded.

Elijah turned away and began to walk back to the doors. "Spoken by the devil I know best of all."

Poppy sighed and lifted up her head, leaning back into her chair. The two brothers continued to talk, which was a mild annoyance to the tribrid. 

"I take it you have a plan!" Klaus called after his brother before he was out of sight. 

Elijah stopped. "Freya will place a barrier spell on the compound." He answered, not yet facing them. "No one gets in or out."

Poppy huffed, rubbing her head and standing up. It was an absurd idea, Poppy in no way wanted to be stuck with her family, especially if she wouldn't be able to leave. She rubbed her eyes, furrowing her eyebrows, as she had stood up too fast. Instead of seeing the room she stood in, she saw splotches of colors and darkness, which then faded.