38. keepers of the house

May 12, 2019 

New Orleans, Louisiana 

The Streets/The Salvatore-Mikaelson Loft 

The ride was agonizingly long, so much so that it was early morning, but the sun hid beneath the horizon, not yet ready to wake up the city of New Orleans...not like it slept anyways. There was always somebody partying, and the center of the parties were on Bourbon Street, the street of drunken mistakes and other bad decisions. And though it was noisy outside of the car, Poppy had managed to sleep the majority of the way, and Hope slept with her, laying across the car bench with her head in her older sister's lap. 

Hope was beyond excited to have a sister, and she wanted to do everything and anything with her. Just...not at the given moment. She felt sick, dizzy, cold. Her head ached. She knew that her family was taking her somewhere where she could get better, though. 

She observed her older sister whenever they were both awake, studying her. Poppy had this stone expression that she showed their aunts and uncles, and their father. She wasn't sure why, but she wondered if maybe she was simply hiding how she really felt. When she pretended to sleep, Poppy would twirl her orange hair around her fingers and rub her arm with a gentle hand. 

Towards the end of the ride, the both of them were awake. 

"Will you be there when they heal me?" Hope asked quietly, looking up at Poppy.

Poppy looked down at her little sister. She took a small breath and sighed, tucking a loose curl behind her ear. "I have to get back to my kids, Hope, but I promise I'll stop by to see you." She gave her a small smile. "Maybe I can bring them along and you three can play."

Hope furrowed her eyebrows the slightest bit. "You have kids? You look too young." 

"Hm." Poppy smirked. "Thank you, but I'm not very young. I turned into a vampire when I was 19, which was 8 years ago. But I was born in 1912 so I'm 107 years old." She let out a small laugh when Hope's confusion grew. "My life is complicated, and a story for when you're older." 

Hayley parked her car in front of the compound, and everyone poured out of it and rushed into the building, everyone except for Poppy. As much as she wanted to help, there was nothing she could do. Plus, her heart longed to see her kids and husband again. It was tearing her apart. She walked into the street and took a deep breath of the New Orleans air that she had missed. She walked inside her home after unlocking the door with her magic. Poppy walked up the stairs and to her bedroom, her bare feet padding against the floor quietly. 

She opened the door quietly, and shut it behind her. Moonlight lit up the room the faintest bit, but being a werewolf her eyes quickly adjusted to the darkness, and she could see pretty well. Silas was asleep in bed, laying on his back. His chest rose and fell peacefully during his slumber. A small smile formed on his wife's lips. She immediately felt safe, emotionally and physically. She always felt safe with the family she had created for herself. 

Poppy walked to the bed and got on top of it. She crawled to her husband and hovered over him, her knees beside both of his hips. With a smile, she leaned down and placed a kiss on his lips. She then buried her face into the crook of his neck, still hovering over him so she wasn't laying on him. She took a deep breath, taking in his scent that she loved. The tribrid heard his breathing change, signaling that he had woken up, and she felt his hands on her back. 

"Hey.." Silas greeted groggily, and he sat up with her sitting in his lap. 

Poppy moved her head and looked at her beloved husband. "Hey,"