8. things will get better...

November 27, 2013

Mystic Falls, Virginia 

The Lockwood Mansion

"Is that cornbread I smell?" Damon asked, watching as Stefan took glasses out of a cabinet. 

He smiled and grabbed a bottle of bourbon. "We're hosting Thanksgiving!" 

"Thanksgiving's tomorrow." Damon reminded him. 

His brother shrugged. "Well, pre-Thanksgiving. Whatever."

"Whatever happened to taking out Julian? Remember him? Killed what would have been your firstborn? You know, I cleared out my entire schedule so we could make that guy count worms... Unless you're too busy baking."

Stefan sighed, setting the glasses down. "Julian knows that I want him dead, so our next move needs to be smart, especially with Poppy's life on the line. We're probably only gonna have one more shot at this."

Damon frowned. "Not quite following the whole Martha Stewart strategy, to be honest."

"I am planning on recruiting an ally." Stefan smiled as the doorbell rang, and Damon walked to the door in the foyer, opening it and scowling when he say his mother. In her hands she held a large container. 

Lily smiled awkwardly. "I brought cranberries!" She said, and she stepped inside, followed by Poppy and Silas. Poppy wore a coat over a long red dress, and Silas wore regular clothes. 

Poppy walked to Stefan, holding a bowl of mashed potatoes. He smiled and took the bowl. 

Are you safe with Julian? Stefan thought to her, and she nodded. 

I'm safe. She thought back, but she was lying. Living with Julian was hell, and there was nothing she or Silas could do about it. She had to pretend to be friends with him, and he would lie to his family, and sometimes she caught herself believing him. There were times she didn't do exactly what he wanted, and he would throw a plate or something in anger. And then he would say it was the Phoenix Stone and Poppy would have to comfort him in front of Lily. It was exhausting, she was exhausted. 

And Stefan could see the exhaustion. He's seen it on his mother back when he was little, living with Giuseppe. He knew she wouldn't be able to get herself out. 

Poppy sat down on the couch and placed a hand on her belly, which was larger. She was seven months along. Next to her, Silas took his seat and held her hand. She took a deep breath. Lily sat next to her and watched as Stefan poured drinks. 

"I invited you over here because we can't keep doing this. I mean, I...I want us all to start over." 

Lily smiled. "Well, uh, if the Pilgrims and Indians could do it, I'm sure there's hope for us."

"We call them Native Americans now, but we didn't bring you here to correct your outdated racial slurs." Damon spoke with a sarcastic tone. He looked at his brother. "Did we, Stefan?" 

"We should have invited Julian." Poppy whispered, fidgeting with her fingers. She felt cold, and her hands trembled. She hadn't spent much time away from him, and she didn't want to make him angry. She felt nervous. 

Silas kissed the side of her head. 

"We should have." Lily agreed. "You two are getting along so well, I'm almost jealous at the attention you're getting." She smirked. 

Stefan cleared his throat. "Actually, I want to convince you of all the reasons that you need to help us get rid of Julian." 

"I'm sorry. Is this some kind of set-up?" Lily laughed nervously.