10. i just want you to come back

December 27, 2013

New Orleans, Louisiana 

The Mikaelson Compound 

Sun poured into the room, bringing warmth to the bedsheets, which laid over a body. It light up her skin with its orange color, showing her youth and her exhausted state. Her eyes were closed, and her chest rose and fell with every breath she took. She laid on her back as she was used to, one hand up on the pillow and the other on her abdomen, which was now flat instead of a giant pregnant belly. On her body was the black funeral dress, hidden beneath the sheets. 

In her mind she was on a mountain, overlooking the ocean. Her hair was tousled with the wind, and her skirt was clinging to her legs, the rest flowing beside her. Her eyes matched the bright water, and her hair matched the rocks. She didn't feel anything, not physically. 

"When do you think she'll wake up?" 

"When she's ready, Hayley. She needs to heal from the wolfsbane and the birth...but I believe she'll be okay. The nurse is with the baby?"

"She is."

Poppy turned her head at the sound of footsteps, smiling when she saw her uncle Kol. He looked confused, looking at his hands and feet and looking around. His eyes met hers. 

"What is this?" He asked, walking to her side. 

She looked back at the water, a smile on her face. "We're standing by the ocean, Uncle Kol. Don't be silly." 

"No, I mean it, Poppy. What's going on? Why am I here?" Kol asked, his tone serious. 

"Because I thought of you again, that's why you're here. Just like all of the other times." His niece rolled her eyes. 

Kol furrowed his eyebrows. "Other times?"

"You're reaching." Poppy stated, then spoke to herself. "Perhaps my mind just needs a break from creating fake Kols." 

"Fake?" He took her hand. "Poppy, I'm real." 

Poppy shook her head, smirking. "There's no way you're real. You're just a figment of my imagination to help me feel better."

"To help you feel better? Imagination? Poppy I'm real! You took me out of my hellish afterlife to be here! Trust me, I know that I am real!" Kol exclaimed, and he watched the smirk on his niece's face fall. 

Poppy looked at him. "This isn't fun anymore." She told him, still not believing it. She let go of his hand and turned around, walking towards a tree. "I dream of you so you can make me feel happy but you're not doing it! Why won't you work?"

"Because I'm actually here!" Kol called out to her, exasperated. He let out a sigh and followed after her. "But it doesn't mean I can't make you happy, darling." 

His niece placed a hand on the tree, feeling dizzy, the first physical thing she felt. She sat down, her lip trembling. "I don't want to talk to you until you're working right." 

Kol huffed and sat across from her. "Why are you so stubborn? Just tell me what happened."

Poppy brought her palms to the sides of her head, annoyed. "You know everything that's been going on, Kol, you're a part of my mind!" She sniffled and brought the side of her hand to her nose, then looked at it to see blood. She furrowed her eyebrows. 

"Love, are you okay?" Kol asked softly. 

She sniffled again and looked up at him. "You're really here, aren't you?"