30. you made a choice to be good

"It's Mystic Falls' attempt to be hipster. If you want simple, go for the straight drip."

"I would like a straight drip. To go, please. Keep the change."

February 14, 2018

Mystic Falls, Virginia 

Outside Mystic Falls High School

"Welcome, everybody." Sheriff Donovan spoke into the microphone of a podium. Forming a crowd were the citizens of Mystic Falls, who were gathered together that day outside of the high school for Time Capsule Day (which could be seen on a large shiny banner that hung from tree to tree). It was to be an exciting day, they were all looking forward to it. "As part of our ramp-up to Founder's Day, our high school students have followed up on a local legend about a time capsule buried in 1790. With the help of our historical society, they went digging for treasure. And this is what they found." He turned to his left and approached a table, which was completely covered with a red cloth, and guarded by volunteers who stood behind it. Matt pulled back the cloth, revealing an old chest, resulting in cheers applause from the crowd. He handed the cloth off to a woman and went back to the podium. "Left behind by the first settlers, it hasn't been opened until now." 

To him, his little speech went well, but Caroline could see right through him. The Sheriff had been called to a coffee shop, where two workers had gotten into a bloody fight. Mystic Falls was different than what he remembered it to be when he was a child going through school. He would play football, do homework, and take care of Vicki...but everything changed since the three Salvatores strutted into town. Poppy was his friend, there was no doubt about it, but there were some parts of her that made him nervous, that made him want to hate her. She was a witch and a werewolf, which he admired, but she was also a vampire. A mixture of Salvatore and Mikaelson, a double negative in his eyes. Plus, she killed Tyler. His best friend.  

Walking over to a bench was Poppy, who seemed in a cheerful mood, and for a good reason. Today my mother will begin to pay for everything she's done. She thought to herself, her red faux alligator skin flats padding against the grass as she walked. In her arms was a packet, each page laminated for protection. She came to a stop once she reached the old red bench and flicked her curls off of her chest. For the past two days she had been healing and plotting her revenge, though it wouldn't nearly be as bloody as she had hoped it would be, nearly everyone had to talk her down. Perhaps she got it from her father, the need for drastic measures when it came to revenge to those who had hurt them, in more ways than one. 

One way was physical. She was weak the day after, and in pain. Another way was emotionally. Delevingne was her mother, and it seemed like she was doing everything to hurt her. The third way was that her mother used Melody to hurt her. She had been dragged into it, something Poppy never wanted. It infuriates her. 

But today was a good day.

"Uncle Finn," she smiled warmly, greeting her uncle who sat on the bench. He smiled in return, but didn't say anything, sensing she was on a mission. Poppy turned her attention to her mother, who sat beside Finn, looking unhappy. The daughter held out the packet to the mother, holding it with both hands. 

Delevingne uncrossed her arms and took the packet, then began to flip through it. She furrowed her eyebrows in confusion. "I don't understand. What is this?"

Poppy lowered her arms to the sides of her thin black coat, which hung loosely on her shoulders. "If you want to stay in Mystic Falls, then you have to contribute to the community." She said. "I already spoke to Matt, and he is allowing you to take on several volunteering opportunities. So, everyday of the week you'll be on a different schedule. Picking up litter, sweeping and spraying down the sidewalks, landscaping, and environmental preservation just to name a few." Poppy reached down and grabbed her mother's hand, holding it up to Delevingne's eye level. On her wrist was a bead bracelet with a small stick figure-human-made of wire-charm. "And don't forget, this bracelet strips you of your magic, and it is supernaturally and naturally impossible to remove, curtesy of the combination of both mine and Silas's magic. We're the most powerful living witches of all time, you know." She bragged, wanting to run in that her mother could no longer use her magic. Delevingne scowled and ripped her hand away, dropping it into her lap. "Uncle Finn has agreed to watch over you until we can trust you to be alone...which is never." Poppy smiled at him. "Thank you Finn. I'll catch you later."