29. nostalgia's a bitch

Finn stood by a tree, leaning against it, in the small settlement he called home, an apple in his hand, which he tossed in the air and caught it multiple times. His wavy hair was pulled back from his face, but still fell to his shoulders. It was a nice day, not too cold, not too hot. The leaves were green, but were starting to turn orange as the days went on. The sky was cloudy, but it was still bright. 

"I am told you are Finn." A woman spoke, approaching the eldest Mikaelson brother from the side. "Son of Mikael, the brother of Niklaus."

Finn looked at the woman who had approached him, and he was not disappointed. She was beautiful; she had brown curly hair, brilliant eyes, she appeared to be full of youth. Her dress was of red cloth, falling down to her ankles. "If it is my brother who has sent you my way, then you must be Delevingne, the woman he is to marry." He knew her already, they were close 'friends' in secret, and there was no harm in pretending they were strangers from time to time. It was good fun. 

"A marriage without love..at least one sided." Delevingne told him, a smirk on her face, joining him at the tree. "Niklaus is reckless, disobedient. I wish for someone more loyal, more kind." 

Finn raised an eyebrow, tossing the apple up. "I urge you to continue."

"I have heard stories of the wonderful Finn Mikaelson.." The corner of her lip pulled upward more. "Shall we go for a walk?"

February 12, 2018

Mystic Falls, Virginia 

The Salvatore Boarding Home 

We start this chapter on a less cheerful note. Laying in bed was Caroline, alone. It was mid morning, and she longed to be with Stefan again. People could say that she was moping too much, and she was hung up on the wedding, but she wasn't. A wedding is a huge event, and she had been looking forward to the day where everything would change for the good...but she wasn't sure it was going to happen anytime soon. Stefan was having fun being a ripper, with his humanity off, working for the devil. Her kids were off with their father for safety, away from her. She had her friends, but she felt alone, sad. Who wouldn't? After a phone call with Bonnie, she pushed herself out of bed. 

In another room laid Poppy and Silas. Silas had his back turned to his wife, his eyes open and staring at the wall, the covers laying across his body up to his waist. All he could think about was the suffering he went through for two thousand years, when he was desperately alone. The suffering seemed to continue in his new life, with his wife and kids. He was constantly worried for them, and it pained him to watch Poppy get hurt, over and over. It was a matter of time before the devil came back for her. He wasn't sure what to do. His wife was dying.  

Facing his back, Poppy reached for him, her fingertips drawing shapes along his skin. Something was off with him that day, and she wasn't sure what, Silas hadn't spoken a word to her...he was too lost in his thoughts. With a small frown she moved closer to him, her arm laying across his waist and her cheek resting on his upper arm. 

"What can I do to help?" She asked with a small voice, wanting him to feel better. 

Her husband took a breath and turned to lay on his back, looking up at the ceiling. Her hand now rested on his chest, and she propped herself up on her other elbow. "Let's get away." Silas said. "Take the kids, leave the town and never look back."

Poppy sighed. "You know I can't do that.." There were too many memories in Mystic Falls, too many strings she was attached to. 

"I figured you'd say that..." Silas closed his eyes.