7. close your eyes and sing

September 21, 2013 

Mystic Falls, Virginia 

The Salvatore Boarding Home 

Dearest Elena, 

I long for your hugs and words of advice, your smile and laugh, our morning conversations and even our arguments. So much has happened, we've all lost so much in such a short time. It isn't fair. No one should have to live the way we do. It's tiresome being friends with both sides of the war. I wish it didn't have to be like this, but it is. I feel that since you left, everything has been falling apart, and I fear that my vision of the graves will begin to unfold quickly. I'm not sure how this whole Julian thing is going to turn out, but I don't have a good feeling about it. 

My hope right now is my daughter. She has already brought me so much joy, I can't wait until this wretched pregnancy is over and I can hold her in my arms. I can see her smile and watch her grow. She'll be my happiness, my love, my life. She can grow up with my sister, her aunt. They'll be so close in age, I feel like they'd have an amazing bond. 

The morning is quiet, or so it seems to me. The sun is warm, the birds are chirping. I love the quiet, but recently I've been hating it. I'll go into town, and no one will be there. It's abandoned, a playground for heretics and soon-to-be dead college students.

Silas and I have been thinking of baby names recently....how does Melody sound to you?

In another life, 

Poppy Salvatore Mikaelson xoxo 

"Are you done writing to Elena?" Silas asked, laying in bed next to his wife, who closed the journal with a soft sigh. 

Poppy set the journal, a pink decorated diary with diamonds, on the nightstand next to the lamp. "I am."

"It smells like someone's making breakfast downstairs.." Silas said, his voice muffled by the fabric of her shirt. His face was nuzzled against her belly, and his arm was draped across her body. 

"Are you hungry?" She asked, beginning to play with his hair. 

"Not yet." 

Poppy rolled her eyes and got up off of the bed. "Well, I am. Come down when you're ready to get out of bed." 

The hybrid made her way down the stairs to the kitchen, where Valerie stood at the stove, cooking. Valerie looked up at her and gave her a small smile before looking at the food. 

"Good morning," the heretic greeted. 

"Good morning, Val." Poppy smiled and opened the fridge, pulling out a water bottle and strawberries. She walked over to the table and sat down, facing Valerie. She opened the strawberries and tore the leaves off of one before taking a bite. 

"Breakkie!" A voice exclaimed, Enzo. He walked to the stove. "What are we having?"

Valerie continued to cook. "Mushroom omelettes." She swatted his hand away when he reached for a mushroom. "Hey! They're for Oscar, not you. He's coming home today."

Enzo gave her a look of suspicion. "I'm impressed. Especially considering how late you got home last night."

The heretic looked up at him, a bit nervous. She opened her mouth to speak, but Lily walked in. Valerie frowned. "Where's Oscar?" She asked.

"I don't know." Lily replied with a frown. "Damon never showed up. I suppose I've taken the notion of trust for granted lately."

Poppy rolled her eyes and finished her strawberry, then grabbed another. She wouldn't say she was on the best of terms with her uncle, who she hadn't seen since he returned with Bonnie and Ric from Amsterdam.