20. save yourself

December 3, 2017

Mystic Falls, Virginia 

The Salvatore Boarding Home

It was just after midnight. 

"Stefan, you're getting married!!" Poppy exclaimed happily, clapping her hands together as she stood from her leaning against the kitchen counter position. "I'm sooooo happy! Like so so happy for you." She told her adoptive dad, who smiled with a cup of tea in his hand, sitting at the kitchen island. 

Poppy was beyond happy for him. As she had grown up, she saw that he was somewhat lonely, he wanted more than just a daughter, even though he loved her more than anyone else. She had shipped Stelena for a while, but Steroline sounded awesome to her. She loved Caroline and the twins, and she couldn't wait for them to become family. 

Stefan, as he sipped his mint tea, was happy that Poppy was happy. He loved seeing how she lit up at the good news, a smile that he missed so dearly. Smiles were rare those days. Things were so stressful, especially in New Orleans. He couldn't imagine what it was like to be caught in drama from two different worlds, but he admired her strength. She had grown so much within the past few years. She looked like a mom, but a beautiful mom, and a badass queen too. Gently, he set his cup down and looked up at her. 

"I'm glad you're happy." 

Poppy smiled, though she was a bit confused. "Why wouldn't I be?" She asked with a small breath of confusion and amusement. "This is an engagement announcement!"  

Stefan smiled, glancing down at his tea then looking back at the woman he had raised. "It's just that happiness can be scarce sometimes...I want you to experience it whenever you can." 

"We all can use a lot of happiness." Poppy agreed, her tone softer. She grabbed his mug of tea and took of drink, then gave it back. 

"Serious talk?" Stefan suggested, pulling the stool out from under the island so that she could sit next to him. "Nothing horrible, and it won't take long."

With a small sigh, she nodded and walked around the counter to sit next to him. She placed her elbows on the surface and held her hands together. She felt Stefan wrap his arm around her. 

He took a breath. "I know what you did to the Mikaelsons." He told her, his fingertips brushing back and forth against her arm, which was bare because of her tank top. "With everything that's come up..learning about Hell, the drama with Sybil that's taking you away from your family, Sarah's death.." 

Poppy looked at him, the guilt evident on her face, but it couldn't possibly show how much had bubbled up through the years, through the last few days. She felt as though she was a monster, worse than her dad because her dad wouldn't kill their family. 

Some nights she would dream about them, mostly happy memories, but some were their supposed spirits taunting her. She missed Klaus more than the rest, though. She longed for his hugs, for his voice to sooth her to sleep. Poppy wouldn't mind if he yelled at her...she didn't mind the consequences to follow her actions, as long as she could see them again. 

Stefan removed his arm from hers and carefully turned the turnable stool so that she could face him. He took her hands so that she would stop fidgeting with the edge of her tank top. "Hey, I'm not mad, and I understand why you did it. But the guilt that you're feeling is unnecessary." 

"But I killed my family." Poppy gave him a frown of confusion. "You wouldn't kill Damon because he's family, Klaus wouldn't kill his siblings because they're family..what does that say about me? Especially now knowing about hell."