Tears

"Kazuya's got a job?" You shout at Kibe. Kibe nods. "Mhm, in a karaoke place. Heard there was... " Kibe leaned closer so Kuri couldn't hear. "Ruka-san working there too." You don't know why, but you gulp.

"Should I go visit him?" You ask, and Kibe chuckles. "Why're you asking for my permission, go do it if you want to."

So that's exactly what you did.

You look up at the Karaoke shop and enter. You search around for Kazuya, but you don't see him. You see someone else though.

"Y/N!" A wave appears. You turn around, seeing Ruka. You wave a bit, making her tiny group of simps look you in jealousy.

"What brings you here?" She asks.

"Uh- where's Kazuya? I wanted to congratulate him for finally getting a job." You say. Ruka blushes heavily at the name.

"Uhm, he's sick right now. He was in the tools room, but I think he's at the bathroom now. Do you want to know where it is?" You nod, and she points at the direction. You follow.

"Ah, there's the boy's bathroom. Why is is feeling sick though?" You mutter yourself, but you stop.

You hear Mami's and Chizuru's voice.

You weigh the options. Kazuya or Chizuru? You decide you have to prioritize Chizuru right now because whenever someone is with Mami, it means trouble. So you put your ear against the door. You've got an excellent hearing, so you hear bits of it.

"I know that you're a rental, Mizuhara-san." You hear Mami's fake enthusiastic voice. "Please, leave Kazuya alone."

You know well that she can't for now, or Kazuya's family will be broken, and Kazuya would be preparing himself a grave.

"But-" Chizuru starts to speak. Her voice is weak, unlike when she talks to you, and you can tell she's trembling inside.

"Because, it's getting tiiiiny bit annoying." Mami cheerfully threatens Chizuru, and you decide it's time to interfere. You burst open the door.

"Chizuru, there you are! It took me forever to find you! C'mon, Sayuri-san wants to talk to you." You know that Chizuru would know that's a lie because you don't have Sayuri-san's phone number.

"Hmm? Oh, hi, Y/N! Why does this 'Sayuri-san' need Chizuru?" She asks. You think fast.

"She's her grandma, and she needs Chizuru's help right now." You stare at Mami. "Unless you think karaoke is more important."

Mami waves her hand frantically. "Oh no! Mizuhara-san, go on!" Chizuru bows her head a bit, and then goes off with you. As you close the door, Mami scowls a bit.

"Pssht. If only Y/N wasn't here."

You and Chizuru are sitting on grass, beside the river. She looks down. "Hey..." You nod her to go on, but when she looks up, her eyes are teary.

"Why do you have to be so kind?" She almost cries out the last part. Her face is red, and her eyes are water. Gentle wind breezes, toppling the leaves to the grass, her long hair swaying with the wind.

"Why do I have to be so kind- what do you mean?" You ask.

She rubs her eyes and points to the red sweater she's wearing. Oh.

"And my grandma. And the strawberry milk. And saving me. Why does every aspect of you point to kindness? Have some selfishness!" Her eyes become even more watery, and her lips tremble.

"Isn't kind being nice?" You ask. She looks away, to the distant blue river, now turning orange due to the fading sunlight.

"I keep depending on you! I don't want to depend on anyone else! This is my life, and you have no right to-" You cut her by hugging her, patting her on the back.

"Everyone is going to have to depend on someone else at times, ever since you're born." You hug her tighter. Your face doesn't hold any emotions, and you speak as a matter of fact. Because it is a matter of fact.

"You're probably gonna end up marrying someone and depend on them, so I just want to help you out until then." You pat her back once more. "Until then, though, you're gonna have to be satisfied with me." You joke.

The joke worked like shit, because she started crying. She sobs, and you can feel her tears drop. She hugs you back, tighter.

You don't let go until she stops crying.

Started getting emotional back there lmao