Chapter 36- Broken Relationships

REECE

*One Month Later*

I could feel her eyes drilling holes into my head from across the classroom, just like they often did for the past few weeks now. I ignored the feeling of being watched and continued filling out the sheet of math equations in front of me. It became increasingly more difficult to ignore her presence each day, I never realized how extremely persistent she could be.

Still, I continued to act unbothered by her unwavering stare and carried on with my math work as if I wasn't having my every move scrutinized. The room was deafeningly silent, to the point where the tapping of my foot had many students turning around to glare irritatedly at me where I sat at the very back of the classroom.

Mr. Potter was finished his lesson for the day and so he ordered us to get as much of our homework done as possible before the bell for second period rang. Uncharacteristically of me, I was actually attempting the work rather than wasting time doodling or reading a book on my phone. Usually at a time like this, I would be conversing with Violet, however for obvious reasons, we were no longer on speaking terms.

Unfortunately these terms seemed to be one sided, as Violet persistently tried to get me to talk to her each day. For the most part I simply ignored her, but there were times where constantly being pestered got so overwhelming and draining that I couldn't stop myself from snapping at her to just leave me the hell alone. The look of hurt that would follow would leave a twinge of regret for my outburst but I would always dismiss it like I did with all my current problems.

Speaking of draining, my sleeping schedule hasn't improved in the slightest; in fact I was pretty sure it had gotten worse with the recent loss of my childhood best friend. This is why it didn't surprise me all that much when the hand I was writing with gradually slowed until it came to a stop; I felt my eyes growing heavy and my head fell forward as I allowed it to rest on my desk.

I don't even think it was five minutes later when Mr. Potter was drawing all eyes to me as he screamed at me to wake up and take his class more seriously. I stifled a yawn and slowly sat up straight again as I rapidly blinked away the grogginess I felt.

"Sorry sir," I muttered and watched through lidded eyes as shock took over Mr. Potter's features. I didn't blame him, I never apologized for my irresponsible behaviour, however this time I was too exhausted to outsmart him in an argument. The last time I disobeyed his orders actually wasn't very long ago as I moved seats as far away from Violet as possible without his permission. I had earned myself another detention with that one as I refused to move back when he told me to.

"Just don't do it again Ms. Coleman, or I'll be forced to hand out another detention slip to you," Mr. Potter threatened after recollecting himself before going back to marking worksheets from another class.

Oh no, not detention, how would I ever be able to tell my mother about this?

That was sarcasm, of course.

With a deep sigh, I leaned back in my seat and took a glance at the clock, only to see that there was still another fifteen minutes left to go before first period ended. Letting out another deep sigh just for dramatics, I picked up my pencil and began filling the half finished worksheet with more of my chicken scratch.

Thwack.

I felt something light and jagged hit the side of my face before bouncing off and rolling to a stop near the edge of my desk.