Chapter 13- Broken Friendship

REECE

For the past eight years, I haven't really been able to feel anything.

Nothing besides bitterness.

I don't remember the last time I really laughed or cried.

I don't remember the last time I was genuinely happy,

Or sad,

Or even angry.

For awhile now, I've just simply been....bitter,

Towards everything.

So imagine my shock when all these forgotten emotions decided to sprout from deep within me.

In the span of only a few hours, I had experienced anger, sadness, understanding, guilt, and something I thought I was no longer capable of feeling,

Happiness.

And all these emotions were dug out by one source. One person who I now realize has left me terrified from the very moment I met him, because he was capable of making me feel way more than he should.

And that person was Wesley King.

Yet I refused to acknowledge why this was the case. No, he was simply a good friend that understood me, and I understood him, nothing less and certainly nothing more.

And just as fast as all these emotions hit me, they were gone as soon as Wesley was no longer with me.

Leaving me to be that bitter girl all over again.

It was like there was some sort of switch in me that only he was able to discover.

And maybe that was exactly it. Maybe he knew where to find that switch because it was hidden exactly where he hid his.

He felt the same pain I did,

The only difference between him and I, was he hid his pain, while I kept mine on full display.

After sitting on my roof for awhile last night, Wesley decided it had been time for him to go back home. He had been very grateful for the ladder while I debated just going back down the tree and straight into my room. I was going to until Wesley started to curse at me for a good five minutes about how dangerous and stupid the idea was.

I ended up going down the ladder with him.

As soon as Wesley had disappeared from my sight and into his home, I had felt the familiar feeling of growing numb once again. It was like his presence was some sort of emotional drug that would immediately wear off with his absence.

The only emotion that had lingered was guilt.

After learning about his mother I couldn't help but feel guilty for treating him like shit from the very start. In my eyes, he had just been some charming boy that was persistent in annoying me with his presence.

In reality, he was a broken boy determined to fix a broken girl.

I had told myself last night that no matter how bitter I was, I would try to treat Wesley a little better and stop snapping at him for no reason.

It was time to start actually treating him like a friend, and not like a burden, because I knew deep down all this time he wasn't one. No matter how much I acted like he was, I knew I enjoyed his company.

"Helllooo, earth to Reece," a voice suddenly interrupted my thoughts. I turned around in my seat and glared at Violet. She had been babbling on all throughout math and I decided it would be best to tune her out if I wanted to keep my sanity.