Chapter 14- Broken Ex-Lovers

REECE

"Boo!" A masculine voice suddenly spoke in my ear from behind me as I closed my locker door shut. I turned around and rose an eyebrow at his shitty attempt to scare me.

"Jheez Carter, you got me!" I mocked, placing my hand over my heart. He pouted at me but placed his arm around my shoulder nonetheless.

"You're mean," he feigned sadness, still pouting. I rolled my eyes and pinched his cheek, exactly like he had done to me yesterday.

"You're the one that just tried scaring me but I'm the mean one," I deadpan, grabbing his arm and taking it off my shoulder. "Care to enlighten me on why you are at my locker right now?" I questioned. It was currently lunch time but Carter never really bothered to meet me at my locker.

"Because I felt like it today, also Violet isn't here again."

I had figured that much, she hadn't been in first period today, so I assumed I wouldn't be seeing her at all. I wondered what the reason was for her absence; I also wondered why it was so easy for her to inform Carter that she wasn't here but not me.

Wesley also wasn't here today, I hated to admit it but I actually kind of missed him already. I blamed it on the fact that without him, second period had seemed to drag on forever. Unlike Violet, Wesley at least had the decency to text me telling me that he had a dentist appointment and should be back by the end of lunch. My glum mood turned a little better once I realized that I would at least have a distraction for fifth period.

"Wesley isn't here either," I decided to mention. Carter's smile grew big.

"So it's just you and my crack-ass today," he pointed out the obvious and began ruffling my hair. When he was finished, I grabbed his limp arm and threw it against the lockers.

"Owww," he whined like a child and held his hand against his chest. "You're fucking demonic," he attempted to sound pissed but he couldn't keep the look of amusement off his face.

"That's just a warning, do it again and I'll make sure to bend it up your asshole next time," I threatened, he stuck his tongue out at me.

This was basically how mine and Carter's relationship went all the time. It was just constant bickering between us like we were siblings. Carter was like that irritating brother you pretended to hate but knew you actually cared for.

As Carter and I walked side by side towards the cafeteria I noticed a pretty buff dude walking in the opposite direction of us. I couldn't stop the smirk that slithered its way onto my face as I evilly placed my foot in front of him right before the dude was about to pass. Carter yelped as he flew forward, right into him. The dude quickly grabbed Carter's shoulders and stood him back up right, giving him a deep scowl. Carter's eyes widened and I noticed him visibly gulp in fear.

Even though Carter was taller than him, he was much smaller than the guy in front of him who looked to be on steroids. Carter wasn't really skinny, he was just a normal size I guess you could say. It was clear he didn't really work out much but was still in decent shape.

"Do your legs not know how to walk properly or something?" The guy—who I will be referring to as steroids from now on—had growled out.

I swear I had heard Carter whimper.

"Well, um- I- you see," Carter began stuttering. Steroids didn't really let him finish, he started breathing heavy and began slowly cracking his knuckles one by one. Carter shrunk back uneasily at the action.

This was where I decided to diffuse the situation.

"Okay Steroids, by the time you're finished cracking all those damn fingers of yours your victim will be long gone in the opposite direction and all that muscle weight will certainly only leave you with dust in your mouth," I butted in as he just began cracking the fingers on his other hand. Steroids looked down at me with a sneer.