Chapter 27- Broken Bickering

REECE (Wednesday)

Coming to school today was probably the worst decision I've ever made.

Never in my life have I had to sit through such a tense and slightly awkward situation.

Yes that's right; after Wesley put me in my place and implied that I was a coward for running away, I decided to grow a pair and stop skipping class just to avoid him.

Now I was regretting that decision, because I was sure that the both of us were restraining ourselves from reaching out and strangling the other with our bare hands.

We sat rigid in our seats, sparing each other nasty glares when Mrs. Wilson wasn't looking in our general direction. We were fifteen minutes into the lesson and neither of us had uttered a single word to the other, not even a sound.

However, during the beginning of class Wesley did "accidentally" bump into my desk so hard that it had rammed into my stomach and left me winded. Five minutes later I had "accidentally" flung my pencil at him and watched as it hit him in the face and nearly left him blinded.

Like the nice person he was, he had gently placed it back on my desk without complaint, that is after he snapped it in two.

I attempted a few times to pay attention to the class rather than the boy sitting to my right, but it was no use. All I could concentrate on was the irritating tapping sound of Wesley's foot against the tile floor and the drumming of his fingers against his desk. It was pretty obvious that he was quite restless, I'm sure all he wanted to do was spring out of his seat and get as far away from me as he possibly could.

Trust me King, I'm also counting down every damn second.

"Okay guys, for the rest of the period we are going to be doing some partner work," Mrs. Wilson suddenly announced with an enthusiastic clap of her hands.

As if we planned it, Wesley and I both groaned in dismay. A loud "bang" sounded throughout the room as we both painfully smacked our foreheads against our desks.

Fuck life.

The room fell silent at the noise and every head turned in mine and Wesley's direction, their gazes a mixture of confusion and curiosity. While Wesley's cheeks grew pink at the unwanted attention, I narrowed my eyes in annoyance, causing most of them to divert their stares.

"Wesley? Reece? Everything okay?" Mrs. Wilson questioned in concern. After a few awkward moments of neither of us speaking up, Wesley decided to take initiative.

"Everything is just fine Mrs, sorry," he apologized like the good little student he was.

"Yeah, definitely not thinking up ways I can end myself right here right now," I grumbled quietly. Wesley glared at me, unamused by my input, but nobody else seemed to hear what I had said.

"Okay then. As I was saying, everybody partner up and I'll come around with the worksheet," Mrs. Wilson instructed.

Everybody immediately got up and I watched disinterested from my seat as they all partnered up with their friends or someone they were familiar with. Both Wesley and I didn't move a muscle, neither of us were familiar with anybody in the class and so we both waited for Mrs. Wilson to approach us like the stubborn teens we were.

Eventually she had come around to where we were settled after handing out papers to the rest of the paired students. A frown settled on her face when she realized that neither of us had bothered moving to the other's desk.

"Are you two not partnering up?" She asked, pushing her glasses up on her nose as if to get a better look at us. I pursed my lips at the question before sitting up straight and giving her my best puppy dog look.