Chapter 12- Broken Understanding

WESLEY

I had tried getting Reece to talk to me all throughout fifth period. I had went for the nice and less annoying option of just calling her name but then the less annoying option turned into jabbing her shoulder with my pencil and kicking the back of her chair. I had even thrown a couple of paper balls at the back of her head.

She surprisingly was able to ignore me the entire time, much to Amelia's satisfaction. The only reaction I had gotten out of her was the flare of her nose and the tick of her jaw.

I think I only made her angrier.

Eventually the bell had rung with no progress made. Reece quickly gathered her things and practically stomped out of the classroom with a look of complete frustration, annoyance and anger all wrapped into one. I sighed, hating that I was practically back to square one with her, yet at the same time I couldn't help but find her anger slightly attractive.

Okay, maybe I found it very much attractive...and kind of cute, but I'd never admit that to her if I wanted to keep my baby-making part in tact.

I quickly grabbed my books and headed out of the classroom with determination as I remembered that I actually had detention with her in five minutes. To think everything had been going just fine this morning and then Amelia made it all go down hill with just one nasty question. That girl was too much to deal with when she was around Reece.

Which is exactly why a made sure to give her a nasty look while exiting the class, the memory of what happened an hour and a half ago replaying in my head. Amelia quickly diverted her gaze down to her belongings.

I was very wrong to think detention would go any better. The whole purpose of me causing a scene was to spend time with Reece after school. That never happened as she made it her mission to sit as far away from me as possible. When I got up to try and sit next to her, the teacher glared and scolded me to stay put in my seat like I was back in kindergarten. I could see the faintest smirk appear on Reece's face from my frustrating predicament. I narrowed my eyes at the back of her head, swearing to myself that I would get her to talk to me, or at least just listen and let me explain.

All throughout detention I had spammed Reece with text messages to stop ignoring me and let me talk to her. She hadn't taken her phone out of her pocket once for the past twenty minutes and when she finally did, it was to turn her phone off completely. I sighed in defeat, shoving my phone back into my pocket and banging my head against the desk.

Why was she so difficult?

For the rest of detention, I just kept my head laying in my arms on my desk. Every so often I would peek up at Reece only to find her in the same slumped position with a look of pure boredom on her face. Finally, the long waited hour was over and the teacher was grumbling at us to get out. Despite the fact that Reece had been seated near the front, she was one of the last people out alongside me as we both made sure to take our time.

Nobody was left in the room or the hallway, not even the teacher as he was one of the first people out the door. Reece had only taken a few steps out the room before I quickly caught up to her and pushed her up against the lockers without warning, trapping her between my arms. I usually wouldn't be this bold with someone who I haven't known for very long, but it was the only thing I could think of doing to keep her from walking away. I didn't want to grab onto her and force her to stay with my steel grip, that wasn't me. If she really wanted to leave, she could simply dunk under my arm.

Reece didn't move an inch from where she stood against the lockers. She didn't even seem fazed as she looked up at me with the same bored and unimpressed look she had in detention. I narrowed my eyes at her in a playful manner, trying to gauge some positive reaction, but she only rose a brow in response. I sighed before running my hand through my dark locks which were almost falling into my eyes.