Chapter 18- Broken Acceptance

REECE

I was a little on edge today.

After promising Wesley we'd get to know each other better, he stayed for a little while longer. We talked about pointless things until I mentioned my brother. I told him I was gonna get to the bottom of Sammy's behaviour tomorrow.

Tomorrow is now today.

Wesley must have sensed that I was a bit unsure about the decision because he offered his support and reassured me that everything would be okay. He told me that it was perfectly normal to worry and want to help him, I was his only sister and parental figure after all.

Currently I was sitting on my bed, nervously playing with my fingers as I thought about all the possible situations as to why Sammy would be acting the way he had for the past month. I had just got off the phone with Joanne (my boss). I told her that I had important family issues to deal with and couldn't make it into work today. She was very understanding and didn't bother prying. The reason I didn't want to go to work today was because I was hoping that everything would turn out fine and Sammy and I could spend much needed quality time with each other.

I still really missed my brother.

I sighed and got up from my bed; I wasn't gonna fix anything by just sitting here. I grabbed a new pair of clothes from my drawer and took a quick ten minute shower. My thoughts were running wild and I knew an anxiety attack was coming on when I felt my hands start to tremble. I gripped the edge of the bathroom counter and focused on taking deep breaths in and out. It's been about three weeks since my last attack and I almost completely forgot about them.

You're not alone.

Sammy isn't going to leave you.

I tried to calm myself down but it was useless, my breathing was becoming more shallow and the tremors in my hands were slowly moving throughout the rest of my body. I opened the faucet and splashed cold water on my face before shutting it off and yanking the bathroom door open.

I knew if I let my anxiety get bad enough it would turn into a panic attack.

I froze in my spot and couldn't help but let a sigh of relief escape my mouth as I saw Wesley sitting on my bed in deep thought. His head whipped up and a look of concern crossed his face once he realized how frantic I was.

"Hey, are you going to pick up Sammy now?" He asked softly, still studying my every move. I swallowed hard and clenched my hands into fists in an attempt to stop them from shaking.

"Yeah," I let out in a shaky breath.

"Are you sure you don't want me to stay with you today? You seem a little jittery," I shook my head and sat down beside him.

"No, I want this to just be between me and him, I'll fill you in on what happens after," I reassured and he nodded in understanding. Wesley's gaze then moved down to my body and hands and his brows creased in worry.

"Reece are you okay? You're shaking," his voice was full of care and concern. I didn't bother saying anything because I didn't know how to explain what was happening to me or how he would react. Instead, I shut my eyes tightly and focused on my breathing. My hands balled into fists as my thoughts consumed me all over again.

You're so damn pathetic.

He probably thinks you're weak, having an anxiety attack over talking with your own brother.

What's the worse that can happen? Everyone including your brother leaving you?

You're the one that has been closed off for years now, if you end up alone it's all your fault.