Chapter 7- Broken Apology

REECE

I never understood why plain old me was such a sight to see whenever I entered school property; maybe it was the fact that no matter how many years go by, I would always be the girl who tragically lost her father.

The one good thing about the attention was that their stares no longer held pity in them, only curiosity. My dad was well known in Roselake, everyone knew he was wise, brave and had the kindest soul. He always made sure to shower my mother and I with love and never hesitated to provide us with whatever the hell we needed.

He would be disappointed if he saw who we are now.

I swung my leg off the leather seat of my motorcycle, the sun easily reflecting off its shiny obsidian surface. It had actually belonged to my father; it was the one thing in his life that seemed so out of place for his character. My dad loved this bike, he made sure to take me for a ride at least once a week. Bike rides were our thing; my mom refused to even sit on it, she was too scared, so I took her place. I felt close to my father whenever I took the motorcycle out for a ride, even if it was just to school.

Placing my helmet in the compartment, I began making my way into the school. I headed straight for my locker, keeping my eyes focused straight ahead as I always did. Violet wasn't anywhere to be seen so I grabbed my books out of my locker, minding my own business.

"Hello friend," a cheery voice came from my right, too cheery. I narrowed my eyes at the grinning blue-eyed boy.

Why must humans interact with me so damn early in the morning?

"More like acquaintance," I muttered, rolling my eyes and slamming my locker door shut.

"You don't consider me your friend Coleman? I'm hurt, I thought we were really kicking it off," I heard a sniffle and I suppressed the urge to bang my head against the lockers.

Why do people love exaggerating so much?

"What do you want Carter?" I gritted out impatiently. He didn't seem to catch my annoyance as his grin spread further and he reached out to ruffle my hair. Yeah you heard right, he had the balls to ruffle my hair.

Like a damn dog.

And I growled at him as if I was one.

"Violet isn't here today for some reason she didn't bother to mention," I'm sure my face showed the confusion I was feeling at that statement. The fact that she didn't bother to tell me first—or at all even—didn't settle right with me.

"Why didn't she bother telling me?" I questioned, hoping that he would have an answer, but of course he only shrugged.

"She didn't even ask me to tell you, I just thought you should know that you're stuck with me during lunch."

"I'd rather be alone," I drawled out, ignoring the feeling of betrayal, at least for the moment. Carter chuckled and shook his head.

"Nobody would rather be alone, not even miserable souls like yours," he joked, but still, I knew he was aware of the truth that his statement held.

I clenched my jaw at the warm feeling that spread through my body. No matter how hard I tried to seem annoyed at him, I knew deep down Carter was someone I'd become fond of. It felt as if somebody was finally understanding me in that moment, and I didn't know whether to be happy about that or remain skeptical.

*******

"Did you know that our foreheads are called foreheads because they're approximately four fingers big?"