Chapter 9- Broken Party Pooper (2)

REECE

Ever felt like you were taking care of a giant ass baby? because that's how I felt as I watched Carter try to touch his nose with the tip of his tongue, his eyes going cross eyed in the process.

I sighed, dragged my hand down my face and wished Violet would show up already so we could all go home. After mine and Carter's depressing little moment outside on the bench-swing, he had dragged me inside against my will for another drink. One drink ended up turning into three and I decided it would be best if I stayed sober as I didn't trust leaving him on his own.

"Dammit, my tongue isn't long enough for this shit," Carter suddenly whined like a child, even going the extra mile as he crossed his arms with a pout.

It was at this very moment that I was convinced he was, in fact, a man-child. I scrunched my eyebrows, leaning against the kitchen counter and slapping his hand away as he tried to reach for a random cup in front of him. Carter huffed but his eyes soon lit up with mischief.

"I bet I could lick my elbow though," as soon as he brought his elbow up to his face I immediately slapped him upside his head before he could start up his childish antics again.

"Ow, what the hell Reece!? Stop hitting me," he slurred, rubbing the sore spot and pouting at me. If I had been someone else, I probably would have pinched his cheeks.

"Knock it off Carter, before I put you on time out," I hissed, mocking his behaviour. He stuck his tongue out in response before putting his arms on the counter, laying his head on top of them and shutting his eyes. I flicked his forehead and he scrunched his eyebrows.

"You better not fall asleep on me," I demanded.

"mmm," was his lack of response. I shook my head and began scanning the premises for Violet's familiar raven hair but I couldn't pick her out of the crowd no matter how hard I tried.

"Carter," he peeked at me through one eye, slightly raising his head. "I'm going to go find Violet, DO NOT move, understand?" He grinned, saluting me before resting his head once again.

I began making my way through the crowd. It felt like forever when I finally spotted her familiar face among the completely unfamiliar ones. She had been standing by watching a game of beer pong unfold between a group of guys, among those guys was Asher and my blood boiled on instinct. As I approached them he had glanced my way, but I immediately averted my gaze, not wanting to pay him any type of attention. I tapped on Violet's shoulder and she grinned as soon as she realized it was me.

"You haven't been drinking have you?" I questioned, she shook her head no.

"Good, we're leaving now, Carter is completely shit-faced and I don't know what I would have done if I found you in the same state."

"We're leaving already?" she frowned and I looked at her in bewilderment.

"What do you mean 'already'!? It's almost three in the morning, I should have been drooling on my pillow four hours ago!" I exclaimed incredulously. This girl was seriously enjoying the party life?

"Everything alright?" An obnoxious voice suddenly cut in and I gritted my teeth.

"Everything is fine, not that it's any of your business," I spat out; Violet suddenly looked very uneasy.

"Um..yeah..everything is fine Asher...we were just leaving," she said timidly, glancing between the two of us but keeping eye contact with him longer, as if trying to tell him something. Asher glanced from Violet, to me, and back to Violet before finally nodding his head.

"Okay," he simply replied, staring at her a little while longer before giving me one last quick glance and turning back to the game. Something in my gut knew there was something off about that exchange but I was too tired and irritated to dwell on it.