• Chapter 30 •

Third Person's POV

"You wanted to see me?" Abby walked into the lockup room that was now empty of prisoners. Instead, just Kane stood across the room from her.

"Tell me it wasn't you," Kane spoke and watched the woman's face carefully, hoping that he was wrong in his assumption. Abby's blank facial expression didn't change and she didn't make any efforts to try and convince him that she didn't know what he was talking about.

Kane sighed in disgust and disbelief. "Are we really back to this? On the Ark, you did anything you wanted without a second thought about the consequences," Kane was going to continue, but Abby interrupted him, saying, "On the Ark, I did what I needed to do, and I was right. Just like now."

Kane took a couple steps towards the woman in front of him. "Letting prisoners go. Arming them." Kane's expression softened just a fraction as he spoke, "Letting Julia go despite the fact that she is in absolutely no condition to be out of medical yet."

Kane's expression hardened again. "They aren't just morally wrong, some of those are serious crimes, Abby. As Chancellor, you can't expect me to just–" Abby interrupted him. "You weren't elected Chancellor, Marcus. You only got the job because Thelonious beat you to redemption."

Kane and Abby stared at each other in a stand-off-ish way before Abby finally broke eye contact, turning and leaving the room. Kane ground his teeth in frustration as he watched her leave, feeling angry and betrayed by her, but also worried for his daughter whom he had just gotten back.

~~~

It was bright out – the sun had risen almost half an hour earlier – and the group was still walking. Finn took the lead with Bellamy with the rest of them following behind.

Julia, however, was taking up the rear. She wasn't doing it on purpose, but she found it hard to keep up with the rest of the group – they were walking so fast, determined – because every step caused pain to flood back to her torso. It wasn't overwhelming pain like it had been when the dagger was actually in her, but it was still enough that she found it hard to keep up.

Slowly, over the amount of time they'd been walking, she had been getting further and further behind, wincing at every step. But she was so determined to stay with them – to help them find their friends – so she pushed through the pain.

Julia was so focused on just keeping one foot ahead of the other that she didn't notice when someone fell into step beside her. That is, until they spoke.

"You shouldn't have come. It's dangerous out here and you're in no shape to be walking this far so soon after being stabbed," the person spoke, causing Julia to lift her gaze over to them. But it wasn't necessary to do, she would recognize Murphy's voice anywhere.

"I appreciate the concern, Murphy, but I'm okay, really." Julia told him and he glanced over at her for a moment before a small teasing smile grew on his face. "Concern? You think I'm concerned about you? Maybe I'm just concerned that I might have to carry you again. You're heavier than you look, Jules."

"Shut up," Julia grumbled as she shoved his shoulder lightly, but she couldn't help but have a smile grow on her face, momentarily distracted from the pain. Murphy let out a laugh as she shoved him, happy to see a smile on the girl's face again.

Ever since he had run away after trying to hang Bellamy, he was afraid he would never see her look at him with that type of expression again. And then when she had been bleeding out in his arms, he was terrified he would never see her look at him with any type of expression again. So seeing her smile because of him filled him with a sense of contentment and relief.