• Chapter 11 •

Third Person's POV

Eight-year-old Julia laughed as sixteen-year-old Bellamy ran around the room with her on his back. She continued laughing as he placed her on the ground next to their ten-year-old sister Octavia.

"My turn!" Octavia exclaimed excitedly and Bellamy smiled as he bent down to his sister's height.

"Okay, you want to go through the jungle or the forest?" Bellamy asked. "Ooh, ooh, choose the jungle! It was really fun!" Julia told her sister as that was the option she had chosen when he asked her the same question a few minutes before.

"I want to see the Ark, Bell. Take Jules and I out the door." Octavia said and Julia changed her mind. Octavia's option sounded better.

"That's enough. All three of you." Aurora spoke and they looked over at their mother, who glanced over at the clock. "It's time." She told them.

"But, no! I don't want to! How do you even know?" Octavia questioned their mother.

"Yeah, Mom, tell us why you're never surprised by surprise inspections." Bellamy spoke bitterly and Aurora shot her son a look.

"Mind yourself, Bellamy Blake. Tell your sisters what happens if they find them." Aurora instructed him. "They know what happens. You've told them a thousand times." Bellamy responded as he pulled the table away from where it was.

Then he crouched down and lifted the hatch that led to the space under the floor where Octavia and Juli found themselves more often than not.

"O, Jules, you know the drill." Bellamy spoke. "I hate this! Sometimes I wish I was never even born." Julia said and Octavia felt the exact same way.

Aurora's gaze hardened as she looked at her youngest daughter. "Stop it, Julia. You don't get to think like that." Aurora told her and Julia backed down. She didn't want her mom to get any angrier than she already was.

"But, Mom, we're scared." Octavia said and Aurora's gaze softened slightly as she looked at her. She crouched down and placed her hands on the sides of Octavia's arms.

"I know you're afraid, Octavia, but fear is a demon. Close your eyes and tell yourself that you are not afraid. That is how you slay the demon." Aurora spoke and there was a knock on the door.

"Say it." Aurora told Octavia. "I'm not afraid." Octavia repeated and Aurora nodded. "Good." She said before she stood up. Octavia and Julia quickly went over to Bellamy and jumped down in the hideaway under the floor.

Octavia held onto her sister comfortingly as they laid down.

"Open the door now!" The men outside the door ordered as Bellamy closed the hatch. Then he went to move the table back as Aurora stood in front of the door.

Bellamy quickly put the table back in place just in time for Aurora to open the door.

"Miss Blake, by authority of the council, we're here to perform a random inspection." Inspector Grus spoke as he and two other guards entered the room.

"Inspector Grus, it's good to see you. Your uniform's ready." Aurora responded as the two other men started heading out to search the room.