15

Kaia Browne, Selena Gomez, and Taylor Swift spotted leaving a bar togethere in New York!

-------

Kaia stared out the kitchen window with a cup of tea in her hands as her mother sat on the swinging chair out on the patio with Katara in her lap.

Every once in a while, she watched with a small tear in her heart as her mother held a napkin up to her mouth to cough.

She was torn between going outside and sitting with her and staying right where she was so she could curse the universe in peace.

She hadn't realised she had been standing there for a long while until her father came up behind her and offered some breakfast.

"Darling, how would you like your eggs today?" he asked, grabbing the ingredients from the fridge.

Kaia turned to glance at him for a second before shrugging and turning to watch the patio again. "I'm not really hungry, dad."

"Kaia," he said quietly but with an edge to his voice that made her wince.

He was right.

"You need to eat, sweetheart," he told her softly. "Do you want some jam on toast?"

Kaia bit down on her bottom lip and nodded, sending her dad an appreciative smile. It was the one thing that really helped her in her recovery during her last year of school. And it definitely was her favourite.

"Yes, please. Do you have strawberry jam?" She asked, walking up behind her dad to look inside the fridge.

"Uh, we've got apricot, blackberry jam, oh! Yeah, just a bit," he said with a triumphant hoorah in his voice as he pulled the almost empty jar of strawberry jam.

"Oh! The blackberry jam sounds good, actually," Kaia responded, grabbing it instead along with the bread.

"I've got it, darling," Georges told her, stealing the ingredients from her.

"Thanks, dad," she murmured, sitting down at the table by the window.

"Hm, no worries. Do you think your sister's going to be up any time soon?" He asked and Kaia snorted with a shake of her head.

"It's a Saturday, and it's still... only nine in the morning. I don't think so," Kaia laughed, grabbing her mug and drinking some more tea.

"Hm, she's always been a very heavy sleeper, that one," he huffed, placing four slices of bread in the toaster.

Kaia set her tea down on the table again and stared out the window as her mother combed her fingers through the cat's fur and seemed to be talking to her. With a little sad smile, she rubbed her eyes and swallowed hard.

"Dad?"

"Mhm?" he hummed back in response, too busy with his eggs. "Changed your mind?"

Kaia shook her head. "No, uh... do you think— do you think you'd be able to convince mum to go home? You know, back to London."

Her dad hesitated for a moment, glancing at his daughter's back while running his hand down the scruff of hair along his jaw. "Uhm, well, she wouldn't even listen to you. So, really, I don't think I stand a chance."

His response made her bubble with anger even when she had already known that was going to be his answer.

"She's refusing to see any of her doctors here, or take any drugs except to manage the pain, there's nothing left for her to do here. Why wouldn't she want to go back home?" Kaia exclaimed, her voice straining in frustration.