Stories with Riddles to Answer (#1)

Okay, so I have been surfing for ideas in Google, again, and came upon a video that did sparked me with an idea to make a story with a puzzle inside.

If you can guess right, I'll have you mentioned (if you answered it correctly first) in the next chapter.

Here you go:

***

It was a quiet morning at Syspocalypstar. Emmet was bored as heck on the couch in his living room, with nothing to do but watch on the TV all day.

Suddenly, there was a knock in the door.

"Who could that be?" he said, as he went up to see who was at the door...

...only to find a random mini-doll wearing a pink cloak and was holding a box on both her hands.

Emmet was surprised. Someone really came in to send him a gift, but the woman doesn't seemed happy that he's going to get the box she was holding on for so long...

...as if there's something was going on inside her head.

She then placed the box down, and without a word, handed over a piece of paper with writing on it to him.

Looking at the writing, Emmet then asked the woman, "Uh, what's this for? Is that a letter? Maybe it's for me."

The woman only spoke:

"My friend, a riddle for your own eyes
Answer the puzzle to get the prize
If you can identify the correct guess
Then the gift is yours to possess."

It sounded confusing for him to know. Why would she give him a letter with a confusing riddle for him to answer? Wouldn't he have to take the gift instead?

But the woman knew what he was thinking inside.

"If you have the wrong answer to guess
The gift goes to someone else to possess."

"You mean that I have to solve the riddle so I can have what was inside the box, right?" Emmet said.

The woman nodded.

"And the gift goes to someone else if I made the wrong answer?" he added.

She nodded again.

"Okay, maybe it'll be too easy to handle," he smiled, taking the letter with him. Turning around later, he mumbled to himself, "I guess..."

As he sat down back on the double-decker couch, the woman was gone with the gift, and left him by himself, looking upon the letter he had on his hand.

This is what the letter says:

I'm in the start of everything
That goes to the end of disgrace,
Knowing I'll start in every element
Until I end on the pains of the dark place.

I went at the first of trying
To be into the middle of pretend,
Looking back in the ending
Of the quest, I then see the end.

A simple common sense, it's true
Two letters hidden, and you will see
First and second, center is Mme
And the name is answered to thee.

It took him hours to guess what the answer was, but it left him confused and ridiculed, until on the time he finally gave up and crumpled the letter into the trash.

"Why would I? I mean, I can do better if I hadn't answered the riddle or receive the gift at all," he then said.

That night, after falling asleep from the stress he had on his mind, Lucy had arrived home from somewhere, her hands holding a box filled with every snack he can imagine.

Suddenly, he became surprised. That box Lucy was holding was the same box the woman had shown him earlier!

His eyes and mouth widened with surprise. No way she had done something to receive that!

Lucy then looked at what Emmet was doing at her. "Whoa, what's with you? Why are you so surprised?"

"Where did you get that box?" he asked, pointing at what she was holding.

"Oh, this?" She then pulled out a chocolate bar from the box and handed it to him. "You would not believe what I just got. There's this woman who was giving me a riddle to answer..."

"...and what did you say to her?" he asked. He really wanted to know what's going on.

"I gave her the answer, and she then give me the gift she was holding to. It was filled with all these snacks! I mean, can you believe it, Emmet? All for a easy riddle!"

That made him feel desperate and guilty. That should have been mine, he thought.

"That's so, uh, lucky, Lucy," he stammered sadly. "It was meant for me..."

"Oh yeah, she also told me that you were trying to answer that same riddle to have this box. You didn't get the answer, she added, and since I answered it, it's now mine."

"Come on!" Emmet was standing up, feeling disappointed at it. "It was supposed to be easy to know! And what in the world was the answer, anyway?"

Lucy only went off to the steps, chuckles while chewing on a granola bar.

"Isn't it obvious? If you know the answer, you will get the common sense!"

She then left with the snacks upstairs, leaving him in the living room and sit back on the couch, munching instead on the chocolate bar she gave him.

"I was just confused," he concluded.

***

Did you get the answer to the riddle?

Maybe you should look back at the riddle (that was the poem) and figure out the answer for yourself. Maybe help Emmet out.

Lucy did gave you a clue: "It's always common sense!"

Get it? If you insist, answer now in the comments below!

The answer will be revealed in the next announcement. Good luck finding the answer!