(ONESHOT) A Taxi Driver's Ghost Story

Hello again. I've got a story for you.

Look, it's an original story, and let me tell you, it was untitled because of how complicated it was to find a title for it, but let me tell you, it's about a taxi driver who shared this story out to your good friend MW (you-know-who).

I can't tell you what's it about, but if you read this, promise, there's going to be a life lesson hidden in there near the end, and if you are good at learning history, there might be some references to an actual event that had happened before... You have to read to find out.

And, it's over 5000 words long. Keep that in mind, okay?

I'll get this started. You really can't wait.

***

(An untitled story filled with a bit of horror and mystery, but with a life lesson within)

The late night has finally arrived in a fictional, residential region in America, and the workers who worked early nights before had done their work for the day, laying down on their beds and preparing for tomorrow. But on those who took the night shift to avoid the daylight and earn more money, things were still busy as it usually would.

Take Dan, for example. A taxi driver, one of those who took the shift, has been taking nighttime passengers around the roads between the adjacent places of Brentsville and Allura, two busy towns, and the busy, small city of Townswood, and he must be honest, he wished he should be in his own bed by now, but it was worth it if he wants to earn some extra for himself. After all, he lived alone, it's fine.

Well, the dead of night, he remembers, were full of people he wasn't supposed to be taken to those three places. Sure, he's fine with some night travellers who wanted to be sent to their motels or anywhere else, but people being high on substances he can't speak about, drunk men, and even criminals that're among those he took for a ride, those annoying folks really annoyed him.

He remembers being tormented during rides. Music should be off. Or played in loud blast. Never give them more than what they pay him, including the fare he gave them. Keep quiet and drive. Never complain about the smoke or the stench of the alcohol from the drunks. Keep the taxi clean. Ignore the flim-flam they went speaking out of their influence of dangerous stuff. Lights should be off.

Well, yeah, he did suffered all those things, for that was one of the disadvantages of being a nighttime taxi driver, his boss told him at recruitment day, and have to learn to ignore them, or get crazy just like them. He kinda did, and upon the fact that he was tormented like that, he wished he should have changed to a better job, but where else would he find one to do so? It was good pay to be a taxi driver. Not many men like him didn't get that in fear of those disadvantages. He just, well, did.

Tonight was just another night, he thought. Of course, he had prepared himself for the shift of the day, wearing the best clothes and eaten up his dinner. No perfume, as that will irritate his boozed-out passengers. He didn't even drink anything else but water and coffee. And that morning, his taxi was cleaned and buffed and all set for the shift, with the wheels recently replaced by one of his friends, a mechanic, with low pay. Sure, he was set, but he wasn't sure if he can make it like those days he had been into.

Just a few hours since he left his house and aboard his taxi, he only carried a few passengers. Some were travellers, one said to be from New York state and had been traveling to fill up its journal on exploring the whole country. He was happy, for it was a woman and knew much about the tourist spots more than the size of her luggage. Only a few were drunks. Nothing else.

Well, at least he was paid much for the service, but not enough than the standard one he received on the first day of his job. It's fine, Dan thought. I need less money for food and stuff anyway.