TWENTY-TWO

Love hurts.   

But what if it isn't the act of loving someone or something if it isn't the action it causes or the consequences it has that hurt. 

What if the act of hurting is the thing causing us to love?

It may not be healthy and it may not be rational but if he were to speak the truth Jasper would say hurting was what taught him to love. He'd say seeing her so strong despite the pain she is going through caused him to admire her more than he already did. Jasper would state feeling her suppressed hurt, seeing her break more and more without her realising brought him to fall for her. 

And yes, the bond they share might have been another reason for this but hurting... hurting is what actually taught her to love her. 

It was the way she'd pick the books based on what she longs for, based on what offered her the best comfort and best of what she has never experienced. 

Yet, seeing her in such physical hurt and feeling her emotional pain is a different kind of hurt. It's a type of hurting he should have protected her form, a type of hurting no one deserves. 

Anastasia has fallen asleep quite some time ago; after he managed to treat her wound and get her to take some pain meds. She looks almost peaceful. 

Her face is for once not scrunched up in distaste, rather completely relaxed. Though, her cheek is squeezed up a tad from having her face rest on her arm. It looks a little comically but quite adorable. She looks more human than he has ever seen her before. 

And not just because she has actually allowed herself to be vulnerable around him because she is still vulnerable right under his nose. It's because for once her emotions are at rest. Her mind is relaxing and whatever she is dreaming of isn't even making her stir. 

For a moment Anastasia seems to be the version of herself she could have been if she weren't hurting so deeply. 

And Jasper does not want to disturb that, he also does not want to break the little trust she has in him and yet he feels as though he will have to. 

There was dirt in her wound, it already looked infected and he truly doesn't know how he should take care of it. And truthfully, the blood is starting to get to him now that he doesn't have her to focus on anymore. 

Carlisle just seemed to be the best possible choice for both of them. He could treat Anastasia's wound the way it needs to be treated once she wakes and up until then, he could have an eye on her while Jasper goes hunting. He doesn't want to leave her alone, doesn't want her to wake up alone.

He doesn't want her to feel alone.

"Jasper, son," Carlisle enters the room right on time, looking at the soldier with nothing but worry and concern shining through his eyes. "Can you look after her?" 

Jasper isn't one to ask for much, isn't one to need much from Carlisle or Esme or even his family and him asking them for anything is quite rare. But him asking for something so big didn't only take him to overcome his pride but it also took trust. Because Anastasia is his mate and Carlisle knows from experience, letting anyone else close to them, especially when they are as hurt and vulnerable as Anastasia is right now, does not come easy to mates. 

"Of course," Carlisle agrees with a nod. 

Watching as his son figure glances at Anastasia one last time, watching him lean down to brush a strand of hair out of her face and watching him untangle the nods before carefully placing it on the pillow next to her. 

Jaser nods at him, Carlisle smiling in return, understanding the silent thank you all too well. 

--- - ---

"Peter Pan," Antonina exclaims happily. 

Aurelia groans in annoyance as she buries her head in the crook of Alice's neck.  "Not again," she mumbles. She is certain they all know the movie by heart by now. 

Antonina has been here for two days and over those two days, she has watched the movies at least a thousand times. Or at least it feels as though. According to Jasper, it helps her feel comfortable and welcome. Though, he disappeared and doesn't have to listen to the movie yet again. 

"I think it's adorable," Alice tells her, turning her head to smile at her mate. "Hm, that's because you're too good-hearted for this world," Aurelia hums, pressing a kiss to her neck, Alice giggling as she wiggles out of her grip. 

"Come on," Alice holds her hand out, Aurelia taking it with a sigh as she lets the smaller girl lead her to the living room; plopping down on the couch and pulling Alice in her lap. 

Antonina is sitting on Emmett's lap, her feet barely dangling off his knees as she is leaning against his chest, a small bowl of chips in her own lap. Rosalie is sitting next to them, Emmett having wrapped an arm around her while Esme is getting the movie ready. 

Edward must have fled into his room, low music coming from its direction. 

"Oh, a pirate's life is a wonderful life," Antonina hums under her breath as she waits for the movie to start. 

Aurelia grumbles lowly at that, Alice hitting her chest with a tender smile. 

Aurelia isn't against Antonina, the small girl actually having grown on her. But Aurelia is against watching this movie yet again. Especially when she still doesn't get why all of them have to watch it.

And why Jasper, Carlisle and Edward get out on it. She wants out, too. 

"A-rovin' under the sea," Antonina continues. "Give me a career as a buccaneer," Rosalie chirms in, smiling down at the girl when she turns to her with a grin. "It's the life of a pirate for me," they sing together. "Oh, the life of a pirate for me."