FOURTEEN

"I can't believe we're actually about to help that stupid..." Anastasia grumbles unhappily, but gets interrupted by Jasper, who squeezes her thigh gently. "We're not helping her. We're saving my brother because it would break Esme's heart if we didn't."

Great, good for her, and since when does Anastasia care about Esme? Or anyone else for that matter?

„Maybe, but I thought Alice was there to play big hero. Why do we have to join in on the suicide squad?" she complains once more. It is a great distraction from her hunger, which honestly isn't that pleasing, seeing as they're sat in a small plane stuffed with people upon people.

"Because I care about them," he replies. "And you, darlin', care about me."

"I also cared about that blonde, who is currently staining a perfectly good carpet in the hotel room we're supposed to be in. You know, the one with the jacuzzi, that basically screamed for us to go skinny dipping," she raises a brow at him, a small smirk on her face when his eyes narrow, the image imprinting itself into his brain. "You're evil."

"Mm-mm, you're the evil one, I'm the petty one."

--- -- -

Rolling her eyes when Alice skips over to them, hugging Jasper first, Anastasia quickly gets out of her reach before she can be attacked in a hug as well.

"Can we hurry up?" Isabella rushes, wiggling from one leg to the other as though she is about to pee her pants. Ugh. "We'll take two cars," Anastasia points out immediately, her eyes falling onto the parking space in front of them, searching for the right car.

"We'll take that one," she points at the shiny black Maserati MC20.

Jasper lets her pull him towards the car and watches her as she does whatever before turning to look at him in triumph while opening the door. The two of them quickly get in and he once again watches her dismantle the plastic, laying free all sorts of wires. Anastasia swiftly grabs the right ones and officially steals the car.

"You're a criminal," he points out unimpressed. "I know. You love it." "That I do, darlin'."

--- -- -

"Please, Edward, let's be reasonable," Jasper and Anastasia hear once they join the other. "Let's. And we'll leave quietly now, with no one the wiser," Edward means.

Yeah, she certainly didn't miss him.

"I really need you to give me patience for this," Anastasia turns to look at him while Jasper holds her hand, guiding her as she walks backwards.

"And who might you be?" the voice from earlier asks. "Ana, hi," she turns back around to quickly wave a three-finger-wave at them, her eyes finding Jasper's once more. "Not, but seriously. You need to lend me some patience."

Jasper rolls his eyes, but a small smile dances on his lips either way.

"At least let us discuss this more privately," the same guy turns back to Edward. "No!"

Patience, Anastasia, patience. He's not dumb, just from another time, they didn't have the same education back then.

Did Edward ever get education or did he like learn after he was turned? Probably neither, to be honest.

Jasper squeezes her hand tightly, almost warningly, at that.

"Enough," a faint voice appears, and a short blonde girl comes into their line of view out of the dark. She's cute.

"Jane," Edward sighs while Jasper simply states closer to Anastasia, wrapping his arm around her shoulder and kissing her temple.

"Follow me?"

The do so and Anastasia nudges Jasper to get his attention.

"What's their names again?" she points at the tall one and the short one in black coats. "Felix and Demetri. The girl's Jane and I do assume we'll be meeting Alec and the kings. Markus, Aro and Caius," he replies.

They don't bother to lower their voices, they'd still be able to hear the if they did.

"Well, Alice, I suppose I shouldn't be surprised to see you," Edward points out. "I am surprised to see you, though," he glances at Jasper and Anastasia. "I would've let you rot," Ana shrugs unbothered. "It was my mistake. It was my job to see you right." "What happened?"

"It's a long story," Alice starts. "In summary, she did jump off a cliff, but she wasn't trying to kill herself. Bella's all about the extreme sports these days." "Hm."

Reaching the windowless brick face, Jasper is the first to jump down, followed by Anastasia and Alice. And once Bella finally jumps down their way, they continue their way, Isabella's teeth clattering a constant company on the short journey.

Jasper keeps his arm around Anastasia, who in return has reached up a hand to grab his, intertwining their fingers as well as she can with the position they're in.

He offers her comfort even in moments she doesn't realise herself she needs it. But he does and he is quick to come to her aid, no matter what.

He's her lifeline as much as she is his.