FORTY-EIGHT

Her hand clasped tightly in his, Jasper leads Anastasia into their room conjoined with the one of the others. 

A bag of clothes Esme was kind enough to pack and put in the trunk is hung over his shoulder and he quickly puts it down and looks around the room while Anastasia crashes straight onto the bed. 

They've been driving for around a day, taking a few stops to get something to eat and use the toilet and just take a minute to actually breathe fresh air. Anastasia has been asleep for the first three hours or so before she woke up again and found herself unable to sleep.

"Tired?" Jasper raises a brow, watching her in amusement for a second as she kicks off her shoes. "How'd you get that idea?" 

"Where'd you get that attitude?" he counters and sits down on the bed next to her to help her out of her clothes. "My mom," Anastasia shrugs, just letting him do. She's too tired to move and too lazy to argue right now. 

"Is she safe?" she asks him when he hands her a shirt of his. "Antonina is fine. Esme checked in on her and is staying back to watch over her while we're gone," Jasper replies softly. "Both of you are perfectly safe," he kisses her forehead and pulls the blanket over her. 

Laying down on top of it, his hand pushes her hair out of her face and smoothes it out beneath her as well as he can before it comes back to her cheek, turning her head to face him. 

"You're safe, darlin'" some sort of undertone is swaying within his voice, making her smile involuntarily. Her tired head is forbidding her the ability to think. "Thank you. Both of you."

"It's our utmost pleasure."

Anastasia is long since asleep when Alice comes in the room a few minutes later, informing Jasper about James's change of course. It's something the major has predicted. The tracker isn't stupid, he was bound to figure it out at some point. And he will be ready for when he comes. 

Which is why he quickly shuts the idea of leaving and therefore fleeing down. It wouldn't be of any use. If Edward were to be alone with Bella, he'd be more vulnerable and weaker than he already is, it would be a stupid thing to do. And Jasper really doesn't want Anastasia to ever have to experience what it's like to run, not even if it were for a day only. 

His eyes are closed, his hand just below her chest as he concentrates on its heaving and sinking. His face is laying in the crook of her neck, her hair tickling his face. The rain from earlier is still lingering in her strands, adding to her already comforting scent.

--- -- -

Sitting with Isabella, much to Anastasia's dismay, they are quietly waiting for the others to come back. She doesn't know where the others are, but Jasper is getting her spring rolls. He should be back pretty soon, though. He's been gone a while already. 

Anastasia happily ignores the ringing of Bella's phone, her eyes closed as she lies on the couch. It's only when Isabella shakes her that she opens her eyes, her hand shelling up to grab the brunette's wrist, pushing it off her. 

"Don't touch me."

"He has my mother. And Antonina," Isabella rushes out. "Antonina is with Esme," Anastasia shrugs. She trusts Jasper, he would've called her had something happened. 

"No, he called. She was there, I heard her. I heard both of them," Bella shakes her head, trying to get Anastasia to believe her. "Don't you think he would've called me himself if she was actually with him?" 

"She talked to me, she was calling your name and she was asking for you to save her," Isabella just keeps on going. 

Anastasia doesn't want to believe her. Jasper would've told her if something happened and James would've called her if he actually had her sister. But if there is a slight possibility her sister is in danger, she has to save her. She can't let her go through any of this.