63.

pls note that I don't actually know how long Nick was in the metal box so I just winged it 🤷‍♀️

~~|~~

The following morning, after having a lenghty meeting with Walker and Jake, Madison loaded up a truck with a Nation member, preparing to go out into the wasteland where they would drop Troy.

Walker had agreed to exile Troy instead of killing him for fear of people of the Ranch making a martyr of him for his actions.

Nick would be punished as well but Madison had managed to talk Taqa down from exiling him as well so instead, they were putting him in a rusty old outhouse - one that had been say in the harsh sun for hours, days even.

As they'd walked him out there, I had asked if he would be alright in there to which Ofelia had replied, if he's strong, he will wake and while that didn't fill me with much confidence, there wasn't much I could do so I went about my day, trying to keep my mind off of the fact that Nick was probably overheating in there.

Alicia, Madison and I took it in turns in taking water out to him and each time I did, I'd sit with him for a while.

Back to this morning though and Alicia and I watch as Troy hops up into the bed of the truck and when he locks gazes with me, he smirks, "Say bye to Nicky for me."

Madison starts the engine and heads towards the gate and Alicia shudders beside me, "Thank god he's gone."

Once again, I spent most of my day pitching in around the rach; mucking out the animal pens, working in the pantry and at around midday, I filled up my canteen with water and headed out across the field towards the box, managing to avoid the watchful eyes of the Nation's guards.

As I got closer, I could hear him mumbling to himself. "Nick?" I asked quietly, trying to peer into the box, "Nick?"

"Taylor?" he rasps, "Tay-"

"Hey," I whisper, "Don't speak, alright? Here," I reach my arm into the box so I can hand him my canteen, "Drink it slowly, yeah?"

I rest my head against the hot metal, listening to him as he gulps it down and I step back when the canteen presses against my stomach. Empty.

Letting out a sigh, I sit down on the ground.

"Taylor?" he croaks again, "You still there?"

"I am," I assure, "But Nick, you've only got a few more hours to go. They're going to let out at sunset."

"I'll be dead like then."

"Stop it," I snap, sighing when I see Madison making her way over carrying her own canteen.

She ignores the fact that I'm sitting there and slips her canteen through the slat, "Here you go, son."

Even though I didn't exactly snap at her last night, she hadn't spoken to me since the fight at the house ended.

"I'm going out with Walker for a couple of days," she tells him, "So I won't be here when you get out."

"Is everything alright?"

She barely glances at me, "We're going out to look for a back-up water source. Just in case."

"Alright," I shrug but I knew she wasn't telling us the whole story, "Stay safe."

"Always am," she nods, crouching down so she can try and get a glimpse of her son through the narrow space, "It's just a few more hours. You can do it."

I wait till she's gone before speaking to Nick once more, "Drink that one slowly, Nick. I'll come back just before sunset, alright?"

He grunts and I take that as a sign that he heard me and so I push myself up.

I had to find Alicia. There was no way that Madison would leave the ranch without telling at least one of her kids the reason why - the real reason.

She was in the medical tent with Jake; the pair of them standing at the bottom of Terrance's bed.

"Is he...?" I stand beside them.

"No," Alicia says quietly, "But it won't be long."

Tapping her arm, I wave her over toward the back of the tent, "Why's your mom gone?"

"She's gone looking for a back-up water source. Didn't she tell you?" 

"She did," I nod, "But I know there's more to it than that so come on, spill it." 

Alicia looks to make sure that there's no one else around except Jake, "We've to start rationing the water." 

"What? Why?" 

"She says that there's only enough left for six weeks." 

"Six weeks?" I repeat, "What the hell? How is that possible?"

"The reservoir is almost empty." 

"So they have gone looking for water?" 

She nods, "Of course. What, did you think she was lying?" 

Shrugging, I head towards the exit, "Honestly, I don't know what to think when it comes to your mom anymore."

~~|~~

As soon as the sun started setting, I left the house and quickly made my way down to the field where I see Crazy Dog had already let Nick out.

"Nick," both Alicia and I call, shouldering by Crazy Dog to get to him and the two of us helped him up.

"Need a hand?" 

"We got it," I mutter, wrapping one of Nick's arms around my shoulders, "Thanks." 

It takes us a good few minutes to get him up to the house where we help him sit down on the couch. 

He looks at the bullet holes that now litter the walls and doors before reaching for the gallon of water that's on the table. 

"Nick," I whisper, "Take it easy." 

"Yeah," Alicia calls from the kitchen, "That's all you get." 

"Why?" 

"We're rationing Ranch wide," I explain, "Everything's shut off but the main well."

"Did mom not tell you?" 

He shrugs, leaning back against the couch, "It was hot." 

"She and Walker have gone to find water," she then puts a salt shaker down on the table, "Salt your water. "

We both watch as she leaves and Nick looks at me, "Is she okay?" 

"I think she's stressed. She's helping Jake run things and...I don't know, I wouldn't like that job." I murmur, patting his arm lightly, "Relax."

He hums as I stand.

"Get your strength back," I lean down to kiss his forehead, "Then, if you're feeling up to it, come find me, alright?"

~~|~~

i'm back at work for the week so the next update will probably next weekend! i hope you like it anyway!