55.

whaaaa? look who's back. i stg i am so bad at keeping stories updated. i am sorry! 

**

"So let me get this straight," I said quietly, staring at Maddie and Troy from across the table, "You want to sneak into Black Hat and get Alicia back? Who the he-"

"It'll be me, Troy, Nick and a couple of other guys. We'll slip in, get her and bring her back. They won't even notice." 

"Oh, I think they will, Maddie." I huffed, looking at Nick, who was sat beside me, "You really think this is a good idea?" 

"Mom's right," he said, "We can't just leave her there."

"Jake said that Walker's word is good!" I protested, "Why not give the parley a few days?" 

"I am not leaving her there for a few days, Taylor." Maddison snapped, "This is the end of the conversation. We're doing it. Tonight." 

I shook my head and got up from the table, making my way to the door. This was stupid. It was going to do nothing but bring a war to our front door, which would get people killed. 

Outside, I crossed my arms and looked out over the ranch; we had just started to settle in here. Why on earth did it seem that disaster seemed to follow us wherever we go?

The door slammed shut from behind me and I knew that it was Nick without even turning around and I sighed, "Don't." 

"Taylo-" 

"No, Nick," I said, spinning around to face him, "Don't Taylor me. You know this is a bad idea your mom and Troy are putting this whole place at risk!" 

"Keep your voice down." he hissed, stepping closer to me, "Are you really saying that you'd rather Alicia stay with those people? Knowing how dangerous they are?" 

"No, of course not. What I'm saying, is that maybe, we should trust Jake. You heard what he said, he wouldn't have left her there if he didn't think she was safe." 

Nick shook his head, "My mom's making the call. And it's the right one." 

"I won't be a part of it," I said, "I'm going back to the cabin." 

"You do that!"

**

He came back to the cabin half an hour later and when he entered, he didn't speak to me and just started changing into his Militia uniform while I just kept my eyes on the book that was in my lap. 

We stayed silent until he was leaving again which is when I spoke up. 

"Be careful." 

He stopped in the doorway and turned to finally look at me, "Thought you weren't talking to me."

"I'm not," I said stubbornly, getting up from the bed, "But if God forbid you don't come back, I don't want our last conversation to be us shouting at each other. So, please be careful." 

He gave me a silent nod and I stood on my tiptoes so I could brush a kiss against his cheek, letting him kiss my lips when he turned his head, "I'll come back." 

"I know," I admitted, "You always do." 

**

Once they had taken off for Black Hat, I went down to the food storage, where they were keeping Ofelia. She was sitting on one of the many boxes and looked up when I entered. 

"Hey," I said quietly, sitting down opposite her on the floor, "I...I didn't get a chance to say back when we were all together...I'm sorry about your dad." 

"Thanks," she whispered, "I'm happy that you and Nick made it." 

"I'm glad you made it too. It's good to see you." 

She gave me a bright smile, "You too. How long have you been here?" 

"Not long," I admitted, "Some of us are still trying to find our place. How long have you been with Walker?" 

 "A couple months. He found me in the desert when I was close to death. He took care of me, brought me back to health. He's not like everyone here says he is." 

"He said he'd come and kill us all if we didn't leave," I whispered, "You can't blame us for being a little wa-" 

I stopped at the sound of the door sliding open behind me, seeing Jeremiah enter and he looked as surprised to see me as I did him. 

"Miss Nelson," he said quietly, "Perhaps you could give me a moment to speak with our guest? I'd like to get to know her a little better." 

I glanced at Ofelia to see her looking at him with disdain but she gave me a smile, "It's okay. On you go." 

"Okay," I said reluctantly, ducking under Jeremiah's arm as I left the pantry. 

Now that, was weird.

**

I must have dozed off because the next thing I knew, I was waking up to the sound of a roaring engine and the loud screeching of brakes seconds later and I quickly got up, rushing to the window to see that the truck Maddie and the others had taken, was now back on ranch soil. 

I grabbed Nick's sweater from the chair, tugging it on as I ran for the door, tearing it down the grassy embankment to where they were parked and I wasn't surprised to see Alicia was back. 

"Hey," I greeted once I had reached them, turning to look at Jake's cabin as the door opened. 

"Congratulations," he began, sarcasm evident in his voice, "You've just declared war on Walker's nation." He started barking orders at some of the men who were on perimeter check. 

"I can't believe that this was your idea," Alicia said, glaring at her mom. 

"You were in danger." 

"Not until Troy showed up and started killing people!" 

"How many?" Jake demanded and I looked at Nick, seeing that he was just standing, staring blankly into space. 

"Four, maybe five." 

Nick, finally snapping out of it, shook his head and walked away, making me frown and this time, it was my turn to follow him.

"Hey," I called, catching up to him behind Jake's place, "Nick, hey, wait up! What's wrong?"

When I reached him, he spun around and pulled me into his chest, arms wrapping tightly around me as he squeezed me against him. 

"Woah," I whispered, resting my hands on his back, "What...what happened?" 

"You were right," he said, nuzzling his face into my neck, "It was a bad idea. You were right."